TKR Last visit

Are you doing a "quad set"--where you tighten the knee muscles before you lift--when you do leg lifts? That helped make them more comfortable for me.

@kneeper I lie on the floor, bend nonsurgical leg, pull toes back and press knee against floor before raising and lowering surgical leg. For whatever reason, this makes me sore in the knee. It sounds like I'm doing what you do to make it comfortable for you! But it isn't for me at all.

Every person, every KNEE is different. Go with what’s comfortable for YOU!

I have a question. I have been taking 600 mg prescription Ibuprofen every morning to alleviate the soreness I feel when walking each morning when I get up. A couple of hours later, I take 1000 mg Tylenol. I have read that some take Aleve instead of Ibuprofen and it's effective for them. I am considering trying itvtonsee how itvworks for me. The usual dosage is one Aleve, and I wonder if it is advisable to take 2. Before my surgery, I tried taking one Aleve and it had no effect, but that was a terrible time and nothing really worked on bone on bone. Can anyone tell me what the medical advice is about Aleve? Thank you so much in advance!!

I’d be interested in the Aleve answer too. It did nothing to relieve any of my pain and constant ache before surgery I used 1000 acetaminophen with 500 ibuprofen every 4-6 hours back then. I am now 12 weeks out from my left PKR and can feel the leg lift exercise but find the chair squat or balance on one leg actually painful on the new joint so probably avoiding them. I stopped Physio after my disastrous first outpatient session and feel I’m doing fine.
I still ice and elevate when knee swells but usually only take 1x 500 mg Tylenol pm and wrap my joint in cling film at bedtime to guarantee a good nights rest as I still have a very nervy sensitive scar. I like Biofreeze or Doterra Blue for the back of my knee or above my knee and find that helps with the muscle aches. The one advantage of having already gone through a knee replacement - your expectations are realistic!
You are doing well and should definitely feel better by November although standing all day could still be a challenge I would guess.
I enjoy reading your posts. Have a good day today.

@patriciad I am intrigued by your use of Biofreeze and Doterra Blue! I have never used them and don't know anything about them. Also, what does wrapping your knee in plastic wrap do?? I had some odd twingey feelings in my scar a week or so ago and attributed those to nerves healing in the incision.
I definitely think you are right about having gone through this before putting you in a more realistic frame of mind! I was imagining if I had to go through this again, I would definitely be better prepared. The better approach to recovery is
WAIT, PATIENCE, WAIT, ICE, WAIT, PATIENCE, ICE, WAIT, PATIENCE, WAIT!!
Looking forward to answers about Aleve!!

WAIT, PATIENCE, WAIT, ICE, WAIT, PATIENCE, ICE, WAIT, PATIENCE, WAIT!!

This is so true. Having had a TKR before I was prepared for this but I'm still impatient.

@Reader525 I came across the Clingfilm wrap when I was having the zinging pains in the scar tissue especially at night during recovery from my first surgery. Someone on here suggested it and it worked so I have repeated it on this 2nd knee. You can rub moisturizer into your knee before wrapping round a piece of Saranwrap. The wrap stops the sheets from triggering the sensitivity and is so light that you don’t feel it. You don’t need to wrap around and around - once will do it. It has the advantage of keeping your knee supple so it’s not so stiff in the morning. It sounds mad and doesn’t work for everyone but I find it really makes a difference to my quality of sleep.
Biofreeze or Doterra Blue are menthol rubs that many chiropractors use to help muscles recover after treatment. You will see Biofreeze at Physical Therapy. I use it when I get the tightness in the back of my knee or thigh.
If you search on Saran Wrap you should find the link to the original post and video.

I was taking Aleve last month but had rectal bleeding from it as the dose was too high. It was prescribed to impede scar formation... I had never heard of that before!
As far as it working with Tylenol for pain. I was using it prior to surgery, taking only one 200 mg tablet before exercise and it worked fairly well. I imagine it would work as well if not better than Ibuprofen. Definitely consult your physician though, as it can be contraindicated in some instances.

@Gingerbread OMG, rectal bleeding? Yikes. I went on Aleve.com and they say no more than 2-3 Aleve in 24 hours. Do you remember how much you were taking? I am not on any prescription medication, so I think I would be okay to take it. I never heard about it impeding scar formation, that's different!
Honestly, nothing OTC worked for me before surgery, I pretty much stopped taking everything because nothing worked. I had bone on bone and bone spurs and pea anserine bursitis, it was pretty terrible.

@Reader525 I was taking Aleve 500 mg twice a day... Yeah, way too much!!! But it was prescribed temporarily. Even so, way too much!

I have been taking Aleve 2 tablets about every 5 to 7 days for a few years for my bone on bone. Sometimes after the first 2 the next day I would have to add another if I really had done alot of walking or standing especially if I was standing and quilting some quilts. My ortho a few years ago recommended it and only take it when it is really bad pain. We will see what the surgeon will offer on October 11th.

@Jockette and everyone!! As you know, I am at 11 weeks out from my TKR, and my husband has just been scheduled for spinal fusion surgery on October 15th. At the presurgical appointment, I heard the surgeon sound as upbeat and low-key as mine did before my LTKR. I am going to be his caregiver, and I am worrying because my husband thinks he's going to be able to do everything except bend over and seems to think there will not be too much pain. I have researched this and it seems to be pretty intense, possibly as bad as a TKR. He will be in the hospital for a few days. The surgeon told my 69 yearcold husband he will be out on the tennis courts in 3 months.
This seems preposterous to me as he is in bad pain, with a shuffling walk, swollen feet at times, numbness and the inability to lean over without falling.
I not only want to be ready but I would wish for him what I had...a forum where he could find help. Do you have any idea whether this is available?

Oh my gosh, you are going to have your hands full, @Reader525 ! Good luck to your husband and his surgery. I don't have any experience with back surgeries but seeing as how everything is connected via the back I can imagine it will be quite a recovery.

Jaycey told me about a spine website, that her doctor told her about. It’s spine-health.com. I think it might have a community forum, but I don’t remember, as I only used it for basic information, which I found was excellent. What I really like about this website is that it lists the pros and cons of spine procedures.

My husband had Multiple System Atrophy and had back pain for years. One neurosurgeon recommended a spine fusion, a second opinion neurosurgeon disagreed, but offered him no help.

After reading the pros and cons on this spine website, and considering other physical issues he had, good and bad, we chose not to have the surgery. While fusions help many people, this was the right decision for us. My husband‘s MSA began to deteriorate quickly after these appointments and he died within a year of the appointments. I’m glad he didn’t have to go through that recovery in addition to his MSA.

You‘ve probably never heard of MSA, its similar to Parkinson's, but has additional symptoms, which my husband had.

I suggest you find ways to make your life as easy as possible, while you are both in recovery, as you are only 25% healed in this year long recovery. If you can, pay people to do things for you, if friends want to help, let them. Someone else suggested keeping a To Do list handy, and when friends ask what can they do, let them pick something off the list. Housework, errands, etc. Don’t try to be a hero, this is not the time. Yes, your husband will need your help, but you will also need help.

Sending hugs and prayers as you both go through this! :console2::prayer:

@Jockette Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! I am sorry you had to experience such a debilitating illness with your husband. Losing him after watching his decline must have been so terrible for you.

I hadn't heard of MSA, it sounds just horrible. I can understand your decision to avoid surgery as he had other issues to contend with.

My husband is typical of some men who refuse to think of themselves as weak or incapable. He is filled with high expectations for recovery and didn't ask the neurosurgeon any questions except whether he would gain extra height (?!). I think this particular doctor was what he was looking for, someone who wouldn't be too in depth, so he can just get it done.

I think paying someone to do things sounds perfect. One thing I'm worried about is bringing him home from the hospital. I have a little 2-seater car and I can't imagine his being able to bend enough to get in. I certainly hope the staff of this Surgeon calls us with direction about this sort of thing. We do have a large SUV so that might be a better choice.

I'm going to check out spinehealth. Thank you so much!! :loveshwr:

@Reader525 Ask a hospital social worker about available options for transporting your husband home. If he's not able to get into your car then perhaps a "care car" might be available. That's a step down from an ambulance but better able to get folks home than a personal vehicle. I had to have one of those take me home after having bilateral hip replacements. As I recall my insurance covered that. I think they are able to do transport of patients in a wheel chair or on a stretcher. Plus they'd help your husband get up any stairs you might have to get into the house.

@djklaugh That’s a great idea. I’m going to ask about the transport, thank you!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom