THR Last surgery of the day

hipsrus

Country
United States United States
I'm scheduled Monday 12/12/16 for RTHR. I'm the last of 7 surgeries for my doctor! The receptionist said I'm last because I'm the youngest (40). I'm a bit worried about the surgeon getting fatigued by then, but I'm sure he's used to long days. My other worry is being dehydrated by the time they try to get a catheter in. I have notoriously difficult veins. I normally super hydrate before needing an IV so I'll have to push fluids up until midnight the night before!

Here's hoping it all goes smoothly. Looking forward to feeling (at least half) better. If all goes well, left side will be done early (ish) next year!

Don't worry too much about hydration. They shouldn't keep you starved all day, in the UK you'd be permitted to drink water until about midday. You should only need full fasting for 4 hours prior to anaesthetic. If not, they might set up a drip on you around then to forestall it! I would talk to the anaesthetist about it.

Thanks Josephine. The surgeons office sent home a letter stating surgery may be cancelled if you consume anything including water after midnight the night before. Probably overkill for afternoon procedures but I'm sure they have to be strict or people break the rules. Hopefully my tiny vein holds up!

Gosh really? That's like back to the old days in the 1980s! Now if we go in for afternoon surgery we can have a light breakfast at 7am and small drinks of water up to 8am. For a morning session it's small meal at midnight and small amounts of water until 4am which is much more humane!

I'd say again - have a chat with the anaesthetist and tell him you have a history of difficult sticks which you can overcome by ensuring adequate hydration. If he's good and caring, he might set up a saline infusion for you before you get taken through.

hi am sure your op will go ok. It will be the best thing you will do this year and you will feel miles better afterwards. Good luck for Monday and see you on the other side of op. Let us know how you get on and listen to Josephine and Jaycee and loads of others they will support you all the way. Get a good rest tonight you'll be fine.

My surgery was scheduled for 12:30 but was delayed that day to 5 pm due to difficulties earlier in the day. I too was told to have nothing to eat or drink after midnight, so I went all day without even a sip of water. I was concerned that the surgeon might be fatigued when he got to me, but the nurse assured me that the surgeons she worked with have incredible stamina. Maybe it's part of the training or qualifications.

The surgery went fine, even though it's often difficult to draw blood from me, and I'll bet yours will go fine too.

The advisory that no fluids should be consumed after midnight prior to surgery is both outdated and unnecessary. I've had this conversation now about four times in the last few years prior to procedures and surgeries. Each time, a preop-admission nurse insisted that the mandate be strictly followed. And each time, I've followed up with a phone call to the various hospitals' anesthesia departments, speaking with the department heads, who have contradicted this silly advisory. Clear liquids, e.g., apple juice (not cider), cranberry juice, are allowed up until four hours prior to surgery. In fact, people who do not undergo severe dehydration tend to recover better immediately postoperatively. The amount of ignorance that's rampant among so-called medical professionals is really staggering.

Best wishes for your surgery.

@hipsrus do have a conversation with your surgeon's office or (worst case) the anaesthetist on the day. They are giving you instructions for patients who are having their surgery earlier. You should be able to have fluids way past midnight.

@hipsrus I was also the last patient of the day for my Bilateral knee. I did not get into the operating room well until after 4PM. Back in my hospital room well after 7PM. I assume it was scheduled the last surgery as with bilateral it can take longer than expected and I would not be holding up the line... they have their reasons for how they line up the surgeries..... you are in good health and young.. perhaps the other patients are not so fortunate and so they scheduled them earlier. Do not worry about hydration, they will give you fluids through your veins and it will all be good. Best wishes to you! It is going to be great! You are are going to LOVE YOUR NEW KNEE!!!!:loveshwr: Joan

@hipsrus - I had to fast from midnight also then when I got to the hospital at 9.30am I went through the usual checks and given 2 small bottles of liquid to drink one after the other - I questioned the nurse who said it was normal procedure and was to hydrate before surgery - it tasted like salty water with a hint of lemon so not too nasty. I went to surgery about 2 hours later.

Cait
LTKR
27th October 2016

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I will let you know how it goes tomorrow. We are getting a few inches of snow overnight which should add a layer of excitement into the mix!

Well, unfortunately I had very bad luck. Things seemed to go fine, recovery was smooth until the spinal block wore off. My operated leg was getting more painful despite pain meds and was stuck in external rotation. By the time the nurses called the surgeon he was gone. The portable X-ray team came to my room. I've never been so painful in my life than when they lifted me to put the X-ray plate under me.

My hip is dislocated and I never got out of bed or moved. Maybe it happened during transfer from the surgery table to the recovery bed?

Pain meds didn't touch the excruciating pain all through the night. Surgeon came in this morning and said he will go back in and adjust the stem length and ball size. He doesn't know why I dislocated. The only factor is he said I had the smallest hips (femoral head) he's seen.

Not excited about another surgery but would really like to be out of pain!!

@hipsrus How awful to be in such pain all night! Good thoughts winging your way, hoping they get this sorted out first thing this morning and the pain resolves.

Oh my goodness how awful for you. Hope your surgeon can make it all ok let us know how you get on. Thinking of you

@hipsrus Oh wow, that is so awful! I am so sorry to hear you had to go through that. Sending good vibes your way for a successful 2nd surgery and less pain when you wake up. Hugs. :)

That is beyond terrible, how they couldn't give you relief from dislocation pain for all that time! How can that be? May your luck improve and may the new surgery correct the problem. So sorry for you, @hipsrus!

Very very sorry to hear such bad news. It is unforgivable and I hope you will put in a firm complaint. You should never have been left in such a dreadful position. We all send our warmest wishes to you and hope this is rectified swiftly

@hipsrus Oh no! That is so unfortunate and I am so sorry you were in so much pain! Wishing you a successful second surgery! Our thoughts and prayers are with you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom