THR Last joint- That's my plan and I am sticking to it

Four months already and life is good except for the corona virus news everywhere. One of the times I am glad I live in the country with much less population density. At times it seems as if I just had the surgery and all the waiting for surgery was so long ago. It is a blessing that as we recovery we slowly forget most of the painful waiting.

I am doing great. I am working at the food pantry 3-4hrs 1x/week and the hip does not mind at all. My back minds a bit every once in a while but not the hips. Lots of walking and standing so it is good exercise as well as a needed service. I am riding my stationary recumbent bicycle at least 3x/week for 30 minutes on some of the preset courses which is helping rebuild my leg muscles. I am really hoping to get back on my bike later on as the poor thing has been hanging off the rafters in the garage for years now and is anxious to be used.

The newest right hip feels great but I can still tell I had surgery there while my left which is now 3yrs old I do not even think about at all. I am so thankful that the pain is gone and this is also something my husband says also.

I am continuing with Weight Watchers and have lost 47# so far. Took the very slow path of losing weight after surgery but did not stop trying. I think now with increased activity it will be a bit easier.

I am as always so thankful for this site and everyone here. It has helped me so much through all the joint replacements. I keep telling everyone about it and especially if discussing possible joint replacements.

Hi @leejaa :wave:
4 months out is where I felt my biggest uptick in stamina and strength.
Of course you know there is lots of improvement to come.
Food pantries are much more labor intensive than the average person assumed, right?:yes:
My back feels it too and I've gotten better about letting some young folk take on the extra heavy stuff...and more mindful of the twisting when laden down.

Amazing weight loss and well done on this leg (pun intended) of your journey.

Hope your weekend is sunny and sweet!
:SUNsmile: :flwrysmile::SUNsmile:

Congrats on the weight loss and the great recovery. You’re doing so well!
Hopefully you’re able to get the bike down from the rafters soon, dust it off and be on your way :bicycle1: Don’t try that “look ma, no hands” trick though....please, lol.
A great rest of the weekend to you!
@leejaa

Happy 4 Month Anniversary @leejaa, a day late! :heehee: So happy to hear how good you're doing, exercising, working at the food bank and the weight loss. You are just rocking this recovery! :chuckmarch:

So glad you are doing well! Happy Four Months! :cheers:
Four months already and life is good except for the corona virus news everywhere. One of the times I am glad I live in the country with much less population density.
Glad you live in a true rural area. May you stay safe and continue to heal well.

My area only has a low density in the cooler months, but now people are swarming from NYC early! And I do mean swarming!

Yes, you are right about forgetting the more painful parts, once you start doing better. You have been a great source of advice and I’m grateful for your encouragement along the way.

Huge congratulations on your weight loss! Your bionic parts will be so happy for your efforts. I need to get back on track with that as well.

Glad to hear you are at the place where increased activity will help you go further. I hope to follow your example!

Wonderful update! The weight loss must be feeling pretty good on your joints, too. You‘ve accomplished something heroic, to lose weight while restricted by pain. I think you are my new hero! :roseshwr: :bow:
Seriously, though, you are doing so well, congratulations on your recovery..

Thank you all for your kind words. I think the weight loss was my way of having control over something and now it just feels good. The other reason I think I am finally able to do it is retirement and getting rid of the work stress and long hours. No pain and much less stress - time to enjoy life even if there is a virus running around. I can still enjoy the great outdoors at home.

Happy Four Month Anniversary @leejaa

Wonderful update! Glad you are pain free and finding movement much easier. Congratulations on your weight loss. That is no small feat. I bet it feels really great to accomplish something that you know will make you healthier. I am spending time outside too and grateful that is getting warmer. Hope things continue progressing for you!

@leejaa I was wondering, do you have any experience with taking a bath, after your first or second hip replacement? I have read most doctors are okay with people swimming after 6 weeks. I wonder if it would be safe after the 3 month mark?

I wonder if it would be safe after the 3 month mark?

We’ll see what leejaa was advised, but thought I’d share what my OS advised and it was no baths, hot tubs, pools, lakes etc until I was three months post op. Seemed extreme but I took his advice.

Hi @leejaa :wave: I hope you have a wonderful week!

@VSlowLife , sorry but cannot add any info to this. I pulled our bathtub out a long time ago and have only showers in the house so never asked the question of my OS. Can you call or email your OS and see what they advise.

Hi @Layla, thank you for the well wishes.

Both of you stay safe. We are basically taking ourselves out of circulation. Thank goodness bonesmart is on line so we don't have to give up the support here. I think things might slow down as I read more and more hospitals are rescheduling all elective surgeries. I can't imagine having to wait any longer when you are in pain. I was talking to my husband about this and so thankful my surgery is over before the virus reared its ugly head. I am so sorry for those who are being rescheduled as well as those who are ill with the virus.

Thank you. I hear it is a trend, in my area, to pull out the tub and just have a shower.

@VSlowLife , sorry but cannot add any info to this. I pulled our bathtub out a long time ago and have only showers in the house so never asked the question of my OS. Can you call or email your OS and see what they advise.

I will do this and ask if they can do an appointment by Skype or FaceTime.

Yes, I am also staying at home as much as possible. I am equally grateful to have my surgery behind me, but sad for those who may need to be rescheduled, while we move through this difficult time.

Hi @leejaa

Hope you aren't getting too stir crazy and new hip is happy as you near your 5 month mark!

The new green sash looks good on you!:tada:

Hello and Happy Saturday, leejaa
It‘s so nice to see Forum Advisor under your name. With all of the experience you have from multiple surgeries and recoveries your words and advice have helped and consoled many, myself included. Welcome to the fold...love that you’ve joined us. :friends:
@leejaa

Thank you @Layla and @Mojo333. I am very excited in continuing my bonesmart association in a slightly different way and so much better than having another joint to be replaced though I cannot complain as I have had good recoveries and a pain free life now.

Not too stir crazy as I went for a nice long walk in the fields with my trusty tracking poles yesterday and it was so wonderful to be able to walk and enjoy the views that I haven't been able to get to in a few years. Life is good.

I hope everyone has a peaceful day.

Happy to see that green Forum Advisor sash under your name! I've already learned from your experiences so I'm sure I'll continue to learn and I'm sure we'll have some fun along the way! :friends: :chuckmarch::chuckmarch:

:goodpost: I agree! So glad you've jioined us and my doesn't that green banner look gooood on you! :thumb:

Congrats leejaa! I was just thinking the other day that you would make a great forum advisor and....ta da... it's official! Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket? :rotfl:
Seriously - your words of wisdom have been much appreciated by myself and I'm sure countless others here. Long may they continue! :thumb:

:wave: @leejaa
Hoping all is well with you and yours?
Strange times...
Watching the world hold its breath as we await the abatement of this horrid virus so we can all get back to normal :sigh:
Not sure I like being part of an historic event, right?

Hope you are staying well and sane.
Happy Thursday.:SUNsmile:

I just realized that I have hit 5m with my right hip. How time does fly even under lock down. Hip is doing great. I have done some walking in the fields with my hiking poles as the ground is very rough and uneven and slippery and I do not want anything to hurt my hips/knees ever but especially right now. It is wonderful to be able to go and visit the fields and trees again. I have also been able to clean up my vegetable garden bed so it can warm up for some planting. So wonderful to pick up branches and sticks in the yard without pain. Lots of wind and we have lots of trees so many sticks and branches to pick up.

Trying to stay busy with the stay at home order and I think right now I have been home a month without going anywhere except for drive through prescription pick up. I am not near NY City but decided that there is no percentage in taking chances. Like everyone else my plans for summer trips are cancelled but that is OK. No pain in hips is wonderful so I just will have to work on clearing up and planting things around the yard. Trying to stay sane and the great outdoors really helps.

I hope everyone else is staying safe in these interesting times.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts