THR Last joint- That's my plan and I am sticking to it

Hello and Happy Saturday!
Nice update, thanks for sharing. Sounds like you made your way safely through the grocery store without incident. It's easy to get bumped into there and a cane is a good warning for people to steer clear and give you some space. Isn't it funny how making it through a grocery store and putting everything away once back home feels rewarding instead of the usual mundane chore?

I like your slow steady approach to healing and your idea of keeping your eye on the prize of feeling great once Spring rolls around. It will be here soon enough and I'm betting you're going to have a wonderful Spring / Summer 2020! :happydance:

Enjoy the weekend!
@leejaa

Happy One Month, visiting the grocery store and putting the groceries away when you got home! It's those crazy little things in life that everyone else takes for granted. I used the cane for a really long time when I was out shopping as well, was usually pretty good at keeping folks a safe distance.
:wreath: :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:

Week 5. Still doing well. I have stopped even the Tylenol Arthritis unless planning on going out then I take one 650mg just in case especially with sitting in the car for longer periods. I can do stairs the normal way holding on to banister with one hand for going up but use both banisters for going down. I do not do this every time but try to do it most times as to build up comfort level.

Still taking it slow otherwise and keeping my eye on the future. I did get on my recumbent exercise bike the last 2 days. PT checked me out last week when I asked her to make sure I was at the right angles and it was OK. I did 7m at level 1 which is basically nothing both of the last two days slowly and carefully and ended up with .2miles at the highest speed of 2mph but usually about 1-1.5. It felt good to be able to get on it. I did feel stiffer yesterday so will skip today and maybe only do so every other day. Not trying for records just trying to stretch out muscles and get different motions on the hip.

At least today it is a lovely sunny day to look out at the world even though it is very cold outside. Last 2 days we have had snow falling non stop and quite grey. Sunshine does raise the mood.

Today will be my last PT visit- mainly to sign closing paperwork and answer any questions I might have. Another milestone on the journey. She has been great but it will be quite nice not to have visits and feel even more normal and not a patient under observation.

Having some cabin fever but will go grocery shopping later today or tomorrow just to pick up a few things on sale and to get out of the house. I really was hoping for a summer/early fall recovery but it was not to be with scheduling just so I could do more outside walking easier. I suppose winter helps in keeping my wings clipped since I live in the country so that I do not overdo.

Wishing everyone wonderful holidays if you celebrate and peaceful healing times.

Lovely update @leejaa
You're doing well, patiently taking it slow and making good progress.
We're dealing with the snow and cold temps in my neck of the woods also.
Thankfully 30's are forecast for all next week and while that may sound freezing cold to many, it's tolerable to us Northerners.
I'll take it, I'll take it! :happydance: Sun is shining here today also and you're right, it is a mood booster.

Hopefully today's outings to PT and the grocery store help with the cabin fever. I'll bet it does.

Thanks for the update. Have a great day!

Wonderful update @leejaa :santa-dance:

So happy to read all your progress. Ascending and descending stairs is a huge accomplishment at 5 weeks! It is funny how just letting go of one patient task can feel so liberating. Glad PT is behind you.

Hope you get some sunshine soon. It’s really cold here today and windy. Makes me happy to stay indoors. :SUNsmile:

@leejaa
My fellow 11/13 hippie
Glad to see you're doing well. I am still using the cane. Not really comfortable walking without it. Feels like too much pressure on the operated leg. I think I'll be there next week.

Really cold here in NY too . I try to do something little every day. Making chicken soup in a few minutes which is good because this is the sleepy part of my day.

Do you feel like you have your energy and stamina back? I don't yet.

@ritabell. Our progress is different but I know we will both get through this and have a fabulous 2020. I do things in small time spans with much rest in between. I have made dinners but try to aim for something simple and get everything lined up next to me so that it goes quickly. My stamina is definitely not there. In fact, went to the grocery store this afternoon (small store) with husband and he said I was not walking properly even though I had the cart toward the end. I had to agree as I felt really tired. My bum and hip felt very tight and tired especially. Luckily had bought a rotisserie chicken and some pre made salads for dinner so have been resting since about 330pm.

I guess that is why I celebrate all the little things like being done with in home PT - it gives me a sense that I am moving forward. I am trying to really be patient now so that I do not overdo and end up slowing the recovery. My next thing that I am looking forward to is driving myself but with our car I would break precautions and also I want to make sure it is safe and I can move my leg quickly. I could sit so I do not break precautions but then I cannot see well so not really a good idea. It was much easier last time since it was my left leg and all it needed to do was get in the car.

I just repeat to myself that slow and steady will get me through this.

I hope you have a lovely holiday season and things smooth out with your other leg so you can enjoy pain free. :merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon::plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:

You're doing well, taking this slow and steady, exercising that patience muscle, even though we know it's hard to do! It's good to celebrate the little things, every thing, no matter how small is one step further along in recovery. Stamina seems to definitely be one of those things that take a while to build up, we'll all get there eventually.
:plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:

Very sensible approach, @leejaa, and slow and steady is the way to go for most of us. It's forgetting to do that which gets us into trouble. Within another month or so I'm betting you'll enter Phase 2 of recovery which, at least for me, means that I'm doing much better but still this nagging discomfort, especially in the morning, after sitting too long or when I'm tired. It's harder now to be sensible because I'm generally not in pain so I'm always tempted to push myself too hard with predictable results. My recollection from Hip [HASH=58]#1,[/HASH] is that the middle slog of recovery was absolutely the hardest and most frustrating. But 2020 looms ahead and I have faith. Now, to just make it through the holidays in one piece! You hang in there--have a happy Friday.

@Barbaraj Yes, it is very tempting at this stage. I wanted to keep riding my exercise bike past my 7m but I stopped though I was going a bit faster than before and made it to .3m. Good thing I like to read - gets me things to get lost in.

We do not do much for the holidays so it will be extremely low key which is good.

I hope you have a fantastic time with your grandchildren and family. It sounds wonderful. :merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon::presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:

It’s wonderful to read how you are progressing and doing sensible things at this stage. :thumb:
It’s great that you like to read during recovery. I hope to do some knitting.

Hi @leejaa :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
You're doing well and your contributions here are appreciated.
I hope you enjoy your low key Christmas. I think I'm jealous. Ours are large and loud and I need a vacay afterward. :heehee:
No matter how you celebrate it...I hope it's happy. :)
Merry Christmas!

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:

Hope you have a Happy Hippy Christmas Day!
:plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:

6wks. Actually it was my Christmas gift to be at 6wks yesterday. So today in the morning I have removed the commodes from over the toilets. Another step down on the recovery road. Our toilets are chair high but post surgery it was much easier to have it a little higher and also the arm supports for getting in and out and especially at night. No issues but figure I will leave them out for another week or so before they go back to storage just in case. With Medicare, they will only help purchase one walker and one commode every 5 yrs. My husband wanted to give them away but I said I would feel safer having them stored since at our age one never knows what might be needed and when. Not planning on it but since I know of no one who needs one might as well keep them.

Walking quite well and without a cane except when we go out - still do not trust the public or myself in case and what the heck - used a cane for 6m before surgery so will use one for a while longer post surgery. I am long over my pride of looking older or decrepit.

This week I have increased my recumbent exercise bike time to 10m and am pedaling faster once I warm up and today I hit 1m. Of course this is with the lowest setting of 1 so no real resistance. At this time, just want to stretch and exercise the joint with motion and as everyone says here it is too early for training. Planning on increasing the time - probably to 15 minutes over the week end. It feels good after the first minute or two with the motion. The recumbent bike is great since it has great back support so that I stay properly aligned.

I feel good and will be starting on bending forward more and reaching for things. I do not want to push it but want to make sure I stretch out the hip joint and muscles slowly with increased angles. It feels funny a bit at first. No sense causing any setbacks. I am still going to sleep with a pillow between my legs at night for a bit longer but am not so concerned if it slips or if I turn. I used to keep a body pillow next to me as a reminder that I could not just turn but have done away with that a week ago. I have done well and just don't want to take unnecessary risks now when I am so tempted to feel free again - luckily if I listen to my hip it reminds me that I am not quite done with recovery and healing is still going on. As I said last time I am doing stairs the normal way but hold unto the banister with one hand.

Life is good and spring is coming so all of us fall and winter hippies will be able to enjoy it without pain.

:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4: to all and stay optimistic - pain free life is waiting full of adventures.:new-year-toast-smiley-emoticon::happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:

download.png

So proud to hear you are doing well. :yahoo:

Last edited:
Awesome 6 week report, you're doing well and while upping your activity level you're also doing it cautiously. That slow and steady approach is serving you well!
:happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:

Ah, a nice, lowkey Christmas, @leejaa, and you continue on the recovery road, being sensible about not overdoing it, but also realizing that continuing to gently stretch and work those muscles is a good thing. I've been awful about exercise this past week--just too much going on, featuring ME as the chief cook and bottle washer, so I need to get back into daily PT exercise routine, and start hitting the gym regularly, too. Glad to read that you are feeling good and your slow and steady approach to healing is effective, smart lady. Have a great day and weekend ahead!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom