THR Last joint- That's my plan and I am sticking to it

Sunshine really helps with the mood even when you feel tired. Sleep was elusive and itching at incision which I know is normal and healing but I want to sleep.

I'm lucky that I moved several years ago to Southern New Mexico from Indiana with abundant sunshine. I'm sorry that you're not sleeping well and feel itchy, and you're such a trooper for going through four joint replacements.

Groin pulling from some of these mainly due to lack of motion pre surgery. In recliner and icing now. Tired. No more exercises for the day except walking to the bathroom the long way - about 50-60 steps.

Be well and I hope that tonight you get some well deserved rest...

Good morning, @leejaa I like your therapist's approach: try but don't overdo, and even a few properly performed exercises are fine. You are sooo early in the recovery process that it's remarkable that you're able to do as much as you're able. Keep resting and icing and don't worry about not moving much. You are going to get there. Plus, with rotten sleep (ugh...I think all of us can relate) any time you can relax and even doze off is a good thing. Hope today's a better day.

I'm surprised at some of what I can do. Of course it's episodic and not something I do a lot. My mantra is ice and elevation and hydrate so you make many trips to bathroom.

Sleep is the ugly and probably will stay so for a while. Being awake for hours in the middle of the night is so annoying. I am also having periodic itchiness on legs in a couple of places and of course the incision. At least not as bad as last time. I have periodic restless legs so now that is back in the middle of the night as well as muscle spasms. Started taking magnesium not so far no improvement. So of course I googled in the middle of the night and some of the advice was to hydrate more. I guess I will drink till I float or live in the bathroom.

Still just Tylenol and ice/elevate. So happy.

my surgery mate, leejaa;

It's amazing that making toast can make you so happy. Me , too. I made english muffins this AM and they were delicious! I like your 'counter surfing' name. Do you feel better now that you're home in familiar surroundings? That will help a lot in your recovery. Try to nap during the day when you can. Have you settled on a schedule with your pain meds? What are you taking and how often? It took me a few days to arrive at a schedule and I just reduced some of the meds today to try schedule #2 . The oxycodone made me nauseous and highly constipated so that's why I reduced it.

I had the bandage removed today . There was a tiny little blood from removing the bandage but no drainage. The nurse said the incision looked fine. I had glue which is really funny looking but I had glue for hip #1 as well. I'm going to try not to look at it until Monday, otherwise I'll be checking it every 15 minutes and probably aggravate it because I'm such a worrywart.

Today I went down my stairs and walked slowly with just my cane around my small court with my PT. I had to rest a few times and immediately rested on the sofa with ice when I returned. I was pooped and that's it for the day, like you.

Let me know how you're doing everyday. I'm also writing on my thread.

Day 10. Continuing to do well. Actually took a shower without supervision. Husband has been making sure I got in and out ok before this.

Continuing with just Tylenol arthritis 1300mg every 8 hrs and it seems to be working.

Took 25 mg Benadryl last evening to help with the itchiness and muscle spasms and then again on the middle of the night along with icing and hit some better sleep even if interrupted.

Finally a sunny day and it is so cheerful. Sleep and sunshine who could ask for anything more.

Going to try to sleep in bed upstairs tonight. Probably will have to get husband to get me downstairs halfway through the night but body is demanding a change of position

Continue best wishes and healing vibes coming at you..:loveshwr:

Hello @leejaa :wave:
You are doing very well in your recovery. Good for you! Probably not quick enough for you, but nevertheless, you are taking care not to overdo and doing your rest and ice routine.
I had a lot of the itchies with my recent recovery and I still take Benadryl at night.. I tend to be itchy in the best of situations.. :oyvey:
How do you think this recovery compares with your other hip or your knees?

Congratulations on getting through this recent surgery and for doing so well.. counter surfing, even!

Well, sleep escaped again. I took one Benadryl at 11p and was tired so fell asleep after a bit of a struggle. Woke up about 330am and nothing worked. Took another Benadryl but no success. Getting itches along suture and muscle spasms. I know this is normal but am ready to scream. As I type this, I wonder if I overdid and that's what increased the spasms. I was up more and did two loads of laundry ,(no stairs).

I did not make it to my bed upstairs. Husband had obligations so was out a lot of the day though he did make a wonderful dinner. I need to go arrange things to make sure it works for me and at 10p I was too tired to give it a try. I have another walker and commode for over the toilet but the commode is not adjusted or in place.

Going to take it easy.today and see if it makes a difference Tonite plus be in bed. I'm not a back sleeper but it will feel good to stretch. Right now I can feel every uneven spot on the recliner.

On the bright side I just made coffee and am having a cup while my husband and dog are still sleeping upstairs. Yay coffee. I'm enjoying views from my windows as I sip. I love living in the country.

Hi @leejaa
Sorry to hear you had another sleepless night.
If you wonder you overdid... they you probably did.
I had days of doing absolutely nothing except walking between living room, kitchen and dining room. I avoided PT exercises, outdoor walks, going up and down the stairs... and felt okay.
If you are concern you will delay your recovery if you don't do much... you are mistaken. Your muscles have memory and will be ready for the recovery once you allow your body to really recover.
I know it's not easy to stay put. I was overactive my entire life and resting is not fun but it's necessary after what we went through.
Yes, the it easy today and your body will thank you!
:)

:mcoffee: Good morning. Cup 2 and I do love mornings and coffee:loveshwr:

I'd love to live in the country and was so happy to spend the first week at my sister's house which is in the country and has a large concrete porch great for walking with great views.
Lots of sympathy here for the sleeping comfortably issue...it was quite a while before I could get any consecutive hours in.:nah:

Thankfully, all temporary.
Hope your Sunday is sweet.

@leejaa Good morning! Any chance you can nap later today? So sorry you are still having rough nights. Is there anything you could use to smooth out the bumpier parts of the recliner, which you find bothersome?
Sorry about the itches along the suture. Does your surgeon recommend anything for that? I know it’s early in the healing process and they are very particular about surgical sites.
I would hope the spasms and itches are signs of healing taking place. I have read on BS that some people take a form of magnesium to help with muscle spasms and sometimes sleep.

I couldn’t get comfortable on our recliner either. I ended up buying a body pillow from Target for $10, laid it down the recliner from top to bottom and that did the trick. Actually I bought 3 and used them everywhere!

Awww, sorry about the long night @leejaa. It seems to be the norm for quite some time doesn't it?
It will be interesting to see if taking a few steps back in activities will help.
When I couldn't sleep I would comfort myself with knowing that I wasn't due to wake up and go to work, etc.
I also listened to meditation videos on youtube, but the best relaxing thing that helped was watching The Golden Girls.. :heehee: For some reason the cadence of the music and their conversations would relax me and off to sleep I'd go.

I agree with, ceezee, on the pillows. I was a pillow junkie of sorts in my early recovery. Actually I still am somewhat as I became accustomed to one here, one there, one everywhere.

I can't fall asleep without my $10 Target body pillow.
I strongly suggest trying one as it's not a costly investment if it turns out you don't care for it. I use it between my legs while side sleeping as it runs almost the entire length of your legs with pillow to spare to wrap your arm around.

I slept on my back in a recliner for the first three weeks. Surprisingly I was comfortable enough to sleep in two blocks of 3-4 hrs each with a bathroom break in the middle. I found it comfy to squish soft pillows in the sides. Almost like swaddling a baby, lol. Try more pillows for your naps, or sleepless nights in the recliner. I hope the bed works for you but many seem to wander during the night from bed, to recliner, to bed....just like Goldilocks looking for that spot that's just right!

Hope you have a peaceful day with a comfy nap thrown in for good measure.
Happy Sunday!
@leejaa

Sorry to read that sleep is such a problem, @leejaa, but sound like you've had that experience before with hip #1. Good news is that it is something that will ease up with time and recovery, but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with in the meantime. Maybe taking it easy today will mean more restful sleep tonight--it can't hurt! Hope the rest of your day went okay.

I made it to bed last night and managed to o stay there all night with some interruptions for bathroom trips. It felt so good. I actually slept most of the night. I also learned that I could get my leg into the bed without the leg lifter which is great and made getting up in the middle of the night easier. I have to preface with the fact that my mattress is very high do it is easier to get up. I have a twin bed for my recoveries since I can lay back and grab mattress sides to help maneuver. It usually takes me a while to get back to sleeping in our king size bed - probably 3m.

The only thing is that I didn't have extra ice upstairs and hip was achey this morning. Will have husband bring extra ice tonight and put in a small cooler pack by the bed.

Thank you all for the recliner advice. I did have pillows on it but it was just getting to me. I realized I sounded like the princess and the pea story. Frustrations at limits coming out I guess.

I really shouldn't complain. Doing well and was off Dilaudid earlier than with previous surgeries without any major pain. Counting down to Wed when the nurse will take out Staples. Yay.

I hope everyone has a peaceful Monday.

Sounds like you have redundant sleep places to accommodate your needs, and you are doing better! :loveshwr:

It usually takes me a while to get back to sleeping in our king size bed - probably 3m.

Haha! You're funny, leejaa, whether it was intentional, or not. Three minutes is not long to fall back asleep. You're making many jealous of that ability :heehee:

It sounds like you're doing really well! It's wonderful you're back in bed, sleeping well and lifting your leg on your own. I think stashing some ice in a cooler bedside is a wonderful idea for some middle of the night relief when needed.

Princess and the Pea...good description, lol. I felt like Princess and the Golf Ball. So annoying in those early weeks, maybe even months, before I didn't feel like I was sitting on one. Ugh!

Have a lovely Monday!
@leejaa

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom