THR Last joint- That's my plan and I am sticking to it

Considering it's my 4th joint one would think I would have developed some patience. Not.
Ha! I think this process just gets really old! I generally grumbled and whined my impatient way through my easy, uneventful early recovery from joint #4 this past summer. I tried to cultivate gratitude for my otherwise healthy body that heals well, for the surgeon's skill, etc.--and genuinely felt it--but it was really easy to fall back into frustration with having to go through the tedium of recovery again. I felt better when I began to get out of the house for short walks or rides.

@leejaa
Same day surgery as you .. Good to compare. Glad your pain is under control. Mine isn't yet even with taking oxytocin's 3xs a day yesterday but was nauseous as a result. Will go back to 2x day with tylenol in between. Really sore muscles in leg and buttocks.

I had anterior so no drain and no bandage change. Can't shower either until Friday. It's amazing how each surgeon has his own rules.

I too love not having to go out for PT/ I Don't think I would do it. PT came last Friday and Monday and did some isometrics, massage and practice walking with me. Last March I had 10 visits but this time, I have only 5 visits. I do a few little things around the house in the AM like straighten the comforter, get washed and dressed, hubby washes my hair and then ready for a nap. Leg doesn't hurt when I'm reclining but boy does it hurt getting up/down(5-6) and feels like it will never get better. It hurts in a different place each day so it's hard to "feel" like I'm getting better. I just worry about everything which doesn't help. Can you lift your leg at all without support? My husband lifts my leg onto the bed sofa etc. Can hardly do any movements without pain or help.

Wow, @leejaa, having PT come to your house must be nice, although this early out I think I would have been a snarling mess and not very cooperative. But, it does sound like you've got a thoughtful therapist who is very gentle with you, just little movements and starting very slowly. Although this is your fourth joint, you absolutely get to be impatient with the whole all too lengthy recovery process. So far you're doing pretty darn good but, as you do know from surgeries 1, 2 and 3, your body is going to take its own sweet time healing. But hang in there, no more hips or knee replacements now! Woo, hoo!

Good Morning!
I'm happy to hear you have a PT who respects your concerns and is willing to go easy on you. I'll bet you'll be able to navigate the stairs during your next session with her which will feel like an accomplishment and less like you're a prisoner in your own home, lol. Silly, right? But it's easy to feel that way when everything takes so much more effort.

It's good to hear your pain is tolerable and you're sleeping and napping. You know sleep can prove elusive as I'm sure you've read here and possibly experienced, yourself, with a prior surgery.

I felt like my brain was mush the first several days also. Horrible concentration and memeory initially. Thankfully only temporary.
You're doing well at almost a week post op.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful day!
@leejaa

@gertie, you sound just like I feel. Irritated to be dependent again and unable to do much without exhaustion.

I do realize this will pass but ....

I am lucky to have them come to the house. Usually it is for about 4 weeks which is fine. Just enough to make sure I am ok and make sure I am progressing. Sometimes good and sometimes when you just don't want to see anyone,probably still good.

@ritabell. I take 1300mg of Tylenol every 8 hrs and it seems to do the trick so far on pain control. I can lift my leg a bit off the floor but have not gotten into bed yet. I use a recliner in the living room for sleep and hanging out do legs are elevated and ice all the time pretty much. I know I will not be able to lift my leg into bed but I use a leg lifter so that I can control the log and movement. I also use it to move the leg a bit in recliner and when getting in and out of the car. I love my leg lifter. Bought it last time on Amazon because it comes with a big open loop for the foot and a stiff straight piece so I can get my foot into it easily alone. I guess we just need to keep practicing patience and we do know it will get better. You have a good strong hip on the other side and that is a relief. It is for me as well as the knees that I know will hold me up. Make sure you eat some crackers like mild saltines when you take your pain meds and it might help a little.

Showering is a blessing. I have short hair but I had it trimmed quite shirt before surgery just in case there were delays in healing so I would look ok and it would be easy to take care of.

Hi again @leejaa
I'm leaving this for you to look over should you find yourself in more discomfort than you care to deal with.

Josephine, the forum Nurse most often recommends Extra Strength Tylenol at 1000 mg every 6 hours, not to exceed 4000 mg in any 24 hr period. You would need to calculate anything else you're taking that contains Acetaminophen into that safe 4000 mg / per 24 hr limit.

Josephine's reasoning is as follows -
Most meds only remain fully effective in the system for 4-5 hours, no matter what the dose. So by taking it every 8 hours, you go at least 4 hours with no medication in your system at all. That gives the pain time to build up so the next dose takes longer to get effective. Just an option to consider if you begin to become dissatisfied with your current dosing schedule.

pain-chart-jpg.66967

I will follow Josephine's tylenol recommendations for in between the oxy. The pain chart makes sense to me. I feel like every muscle in my leg has been stretched beyond belief and is so painful to move. I too have a leg lifter from last time but am unable to use it yet. I can't even think about goin down stairs and into my car. maybe that will be next weeks goal. Discouraged from the pain. 1 week tomorrow.

:hi: @leejaa
Happy Wednesday and Happy One Week Anniversary!
Hope you have a wonderful day :)

It is a day for celebrating. My aquaseal bandage is off. Visiting nurse took it off this afternoon. I have no seepage from Staples (all 18 of them). Now if there is no seepage for 3 days I can take a shower without covering it. Saturday will be the big day if all works out. Funny I could shower and now have to wait unless I seal it up. She did leave me some special sealers I could use .

Another step on the recovery road. Next Wednesday the Staples come out.

Still doing well with just Tylenol for pain control. It feels good not to be so foggy. I hope it continues. Night sleeping continues to be interrupted but that is normal like last time.

PT coming tomorrow. We will see what that brings besides me saying I was doing most of the exercises when I have done very few.

:friends:Hang in there, friend .

PT coming tomorrow. We will see what that brings besides me saying I was doing most of the exercises when I have done very few.
:giggle:

Continued healing vibes coming your way

You sound well, hip, hip hooray the bandage is gone and staples soon to follow! When you get rid of the staples it's like Aaaahhhhhh!. :snork:

Hopefully nothing too annoying with the PT tomorrow and hope you get some restful sleep tonight. :alarm:

Well must have celebrated too much today doing nothing and tonight the silly body decided to remind me I am only 7days post op and have pain in my buttocks and groin. Reality sucks and I was even icing all day.

On the bright side I did a little counter surfing making toast this evening. Husband was off for a meeting. Almost felt normal.

On the bright side I did a little counter surfing making toast this evening. Husband was off for a meeting. Almost felt normal.

Love this! It's funny how those little things feel so great early on. :yes!:
Sorry you're feeling some discomfort this evening. I hope you sleep well and feel better in the morning. Best wishes for your PT session tomorrow!

:heehee:That's ALONG the counter not ON the counter, right?:surfer:

I practiced full weight bearing that way and used the back of the sofa too:yes:

Hope today is a good day, friend.

Good morning, @leejaa, I hope the day is starting out better than yesterday. Pain in your butt/groin, especially at only 7 days out, sounds perfectly (unfortunately so) normal to me. I love the term "counter surf", I think a lot of us did that for awhile before being able to move more confidently. Have a good day!

Sunshine really helps with the mood even when you feel tired. Sleep was elusive and itching at incision which I know is normal and healing but I want to sleep. Grrrrrr

On the bright side. First of all, no drainage from incision so yay and no real redness. PT came and I went up the stairs and got into bed and out all on my own. She says I am doing great and was surprised I could do a slight leg lift on my own and this is without me doing any real exercises. We did a few moves in bed with much rests in between. Her philosophy is try but don't overdo and 3 is better than 10 if done slowly. Also showed me some counter moves for balance. Groin pulling from some of these mainly due to lack of motion pre surgery. In recliner and icing now. Tired. No more exercises for the day except walking to the bathroom the long way - about 50-60 steps.

Glad the sunshine is helping your mood, maybe you can get in a nap or two today while you're resting and icing. Sounds like the PT went pretty well today, like the idea of not overdoing. Really like that she showed you some moves to help with balance.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back