THR Last joint- That's my plan and I am sticking to it

I did manage to get home yesterday. Made it through PT/OT without issues. Did not sleep much in hospital but that's ok. Got out about 1pm and was home by 2:30. Husband went with our dog to get my pain meds once I was in recliner and iced up. I also iced in the car.

Darn new rules for pain meds . I am on Dilaudid or rather the generic version hydromorphone 2mg every 4 hrs as needed. Well I am taking them by the clock right now every 4 hrs. I have my paper chart and my phone alarm. However, did not get as large number of pills as last time do will have to call Monday for another refill.. At least in NY State all scripts and especially narcotics have to be electronic there is no pick up of script or waiting for mail.

Having more pain than last time that I remember especially on my bum do it is hard to sit on toilet it to get into recliner.

Slept in recliner as planned downstairs. Replaced ice when I got up to go to bathroom. My husband slept upstairs. The only problem is that he cannot hear me - if I call. He has hearing loss and wears hearing aids. Oh well, same as last time. He offered to sleep on the couch but to his is much better. He has our 90# fog with him and he husband and not dog won't be cranky from lack of sleep.

The only exercise I have been doing are the ankle pumps. These are necessary but everything else can wait a few days. Nurse is supposed to come today which is good as the bandage where my drain was taken out needs changing and I cannot twist to do it. I do not remember having a drain last time.

Good morning @leejaa
In my state, it's the opposite. My script could only be written for one week at a time, hand written, signed written authorization for hubby to pick up required, hand delivered to pharmacist...which can be just as problematic.
Never had a problem getting OS to prescribe but did have a bit of insurance stall at week three, so I just paid approximately 20 dollars out of pocket!
I had drain tubes...not expecting...and I attribute my lack of severe bruising to this protocol.
Some of those pics in the hippy scars had me a tad freaked out.:flabber:
Mine wasn't bad at all but I did have an extra hole.

Do be careful getting up alone since hubby is sleeping upstairs...I got some out of the blue dizziness at times so I would give it a minute before setting off.
So glad this is your last joint hurrah.
Healing hugs to you.:friends:

Sometimes the pharmacy does not have the hydromorphone in stock when the prescription is sent, so keep that in mind when contacting the doctor.

Good Morning and Happy Friday :wave:
It's so good to be home. You rest so much easier. No unwelcome interruptions. I hope you're enjoying the peace.

When you say hubs can't hear you when you call, I'm assuming you mean when you yell for him, or call his name? If so, what about calling him on his cell that he'd keep bedside when you need him?

I hope you have a nice visit with the nurse today and squeeze in a cozy nap.
@leejaa

Last edited:
If so, what about calling him on his cell that he'd keep bedside when you need him?
We did this all the time! He never went anywhere without his cell phone. And I always had mine with me. Even just to a trip to the bathroom or kitchen. I could always reach him.

Good afternoon, happy to see you're at home now, I know you're probably resting so much better. How did things go with the nurse today?

I agree that holding off on other exercises for a couple of days is probably a good thing. At this stage a few ankle pumps if you feel like it and your trips to the bathroom and back should be enough for now. You can always add a trip to the kitchen for a snack once in a while too.

Visit with nurse went well. She changed the dressing over my drain site. I do not have much bruising or swelling. I pretty much elevate all the time and ice. Luckily have all these extra ice packs from previous joints that the hospital gives out plus this surgery.

Still no bowel movement. I think partly because having discomfort sitting on raised to toilet. Added more senokot today and prunes. Passing gas so nurse not worried. Hopefully tomorrow.

I managed a shower before she came so felt human. She approved my lay out. She was my nurse on previous surgery and really appreciated all the renovation changes. PT will be here Monday. Nurse will be back on wed to take off dressing.

Of course this afternoon my skin in my groin decided to have an allergic reaction to something so now taking Benadryl also.

It is wonderful being home. They were great at the hospital but there is no place like home. My husband says I look pretty good ..

My husband can't hear the phone either but we are ok. I do have the phone on me at all times. Lots of laying around and naps.

Hi, @leejaa, and welcome to the other side--again--and isn't it a relief that you've now done both so you're fully bionic and don't have to go through this again? I agree with your comments about how the second hip recovery "feels" harder than last time, although I also agree that one tends to mercifully forget about the whole process so maybe thinking the second one is harder is not really true. But, it is what it is and you'll just continue on with the process, secure in the knowledge that you WILL be getting better in time. Nice that you got a shower so early. I had to wait a few days before I was allowed but, boy, it felt wonderful to feel that warm water on my face and body. Welcome home and let the recovery commence! Hurray for you!

Another shower. Life is good. Still constipated, life not so good. Upped senokot to 2 pills this an and added Miralax. Trying to drink a lot.

Feeling emotional which is irritating or is it really everything irritates me. Poor husband I warned him that I was extra emotional. He loves me a lot and is wonderful but care taking does not come naturally. He has many other awesome talents.

Had to add Benadryl as I have a rash in my groin area on the right. I hate how sleepy it makes me.

As usual,no concentration. Husband printed off an interesting article (15pages) on climate change but cannot even start since unable to focus. This too will pass.

@leejaa hang in there! Each day (or so) will show some improvement. Just enjoy that Benadryl and sleep.. it's the best thing right now, along with ice, elevation and walking a bit hourly.
I'm not sure I mentioned this on your forum but prune juice was my magic potion.

Try to rest and enjoy your weekend of recovery. well, enjoy is maybe not the best choice of words, but you know what I mean. :loveshwr:

Hi there :)
Those first few showers feel like the highlight of the day, lol.

One thing that's been suggested here for Constipation is Pumpkin Puree' with Pumpkin Puree being the only ingredient in the can. You can sprinkle it with Cinnamon if that sounds more appealing. May be worth a try...

I'm sorry you're feeling down. Thankfully it's only temporary and will pass. You're not the first who has a loving husband that doesn't make the best Nurse maid. I think it feels foreign to them and it's probably a little difficult for them to view us as incapacitated. I found cutting my husband loose for several hours once I had everything I needed within reach or safely accessible that it was good for both of us.

I understand the difficulty in concentration. I suffered the same and found it very frustrating. Thankfully like all else it was temporary and gradually improved over time. Wondering if you noticed the same with prior surgeries?

Look at any extra sleep you may be getting from the Benadryl as a positive because our body does it's best healing while we are asleep.

Hope your evening is a peaceful one!
@leejaa

How are you doing on Day3 & 4 with pain and constipation.? My Hip#2 was the same day as yours. I'm loosing track of whether or not I've written to you at this point. Muscle Pain is more than I remember from hip#1 last March and I have tried everything for constipation but no luck so far. I have been sleeping in big chucks but now it is 4:20 and I've been awake for an hour so I will cut this short.

Let me know how you're doing.

Ritabell

Husband's memory is being affected and not due to pain meds. I think it's his anxiety for me that is causing this. Very sweet but annoying when he asks me what was it he is going to get at the store. Today I semi nicely told him to write things down since my brain is not at it's normal state.

I totally agree that an hour while he goes to the store or more would be fine.

So far for my wonderful constipation I have tried senekot which I have been taking regularly, apples,dried prunes. About 20oz of warm prune juice and yesterday pumpkin puree - about half a cup. Maybe today I will try a whole cup and heat it up a touch. I forgot also Miralax. I hate when my body is stubborn.

Otherwise, doing well. Icing and elevating pretty much non stop. I decided to cut back on Dilaudid to 2mg every 8 hrs. Seem to be fine with pain, no real increase in discomfort.

Walking well with walker. I even have a new walker bag as a gift from the hospital volunteers. It's quite nice and useful. Not walking a lot just enough to make circuits inside .

:console2:Sincerest sympathies...things were tough to "get going" for me too and it's miserable.
Called my Mother, crying, 130 miles a way, and her suggestion was "Relax, sit on the toilet and read a magazine!"
Yeah, right.:snork:
Double hip replacement and could barely get in to the bathroom and one, but Relax and read a magazine!????

Hope things get going soon.:fingersx:

Your mother's comments made me laugh. It is only one hip and I had trouble sitting on toilet the first days, I can't imagine both hips.

Relief arrived Thanh goodness.

On the bright side I stopped the Dilaudid and pain seems very under control. Yay me so far. Of course now the dreaded I can't sleep has arrived. Slept for an hour and now wide awake and can't get comfortable.in the recliner. Back is aching and legs restless.

PT comes tomorrow ( I guess that is today) so maybe we will experiment with the stairs and getting into bed.

As usual,no concentration. Husband printed off an interesting article (15pages) on climate change but cannot even start since unable to focus.
It was same for me! I stupidly bought the deep subject book 'Sapiens' (which had been recommended to me by several friends) before my surgery, thinking I'll finally have all the time in the world to read it. But I never got past the first page! :rofsign: My mind was just mush. I passed the time using an easy crossword puzzle book, both in and out of hospital. I could pick it up and put it down or skip to a new puzzle if things got too hard for the brain for the moment. Yes it will pass but enjoy the time without too many heavy thoughts to consider. :sleeep:

Hurray for "movement", @leejaa, but sorry to read that sleep is proving elusive. I think those first few weeks it's all about getting some rest as you're able but understanding that a full 8 hours of sleep ain't gonna happen! Concentration is nil for most (although a 15 page article on climate change would be tough even for non-recovering hipsters in my view!) and your body is just concentrating all its energies on surgical recovery. I hope the PT visit today provides some distraction if nothing else, although maybe he/she will have some good techniques for you that will routine but necessary activities seem a little easier. Good luck, cheers and happy Monday!

PT came and went. She does want me to do exercises but not if it hurts and very few reps. I will do my usual which is a lot less unless feeling it. Will continue my walking but not too much yet as it is day 5 only. She did help with some adjustments to my comfy chair do now I have 3 options for sitting. At least not really pushy about exercises which is good. Told me I am doing excellent. She will be back on Thursday. I love not having to go anywhere for PT this early. Tired out just from the little we did and the interaction.

We will try the 14 stairs to the bedroom maybe next visit depending on how I feel. It will be nice to have the possibility of a change of location.

Did manage about 4hrs total sleep last night if not all together. I remember this part too well. Luckily after breakfast I fell asleep for a couple more hrs.

Still not taking any Dilaudid. Pain is more of a 2-4 discomfort so happy not to take it. No major swelling or bruising visible.

Considering it's my 4th joint one would think I would have developed some patience. Not.

Back to maybe napping. Husband is funny since he sees me up and he thinks my brain is not mushy and tries to have serious conversations.

one step at a time @leejaa.
I think you are doing just fine. You are very careful with the PT exercises and that's the way to go.
Sleep will eventually come back. What's important is that the pain level is manageable.
Happy for you!
:)

Hey it sounds like you were at a lovely spa! Here in Canada my first meal was unidentifiable, so was the second, and oh...what was that bland white thing? As for Bigelow tea...okay I want what you are having!
But I have to say, meals aside, the nurses were amazing. Cannot complain at all.

I wanted a private room but ended up with 3 other people, farting and snoring throughout the night. I found it kind of peaceful in some weird way. Not lonely!! So I am now glad I had company and will do the same for my next (second) hip.

anyway, it was fun to read your note and I am so happy for you! You go girl!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom