THR Last joint- That's my plan and I am sticking to it

leejaa

Former BoneSmart staff member
Country
United States United States
Just setting up my recovery thread for my right hip. Surgery tomorrow. Have to be at hospital 8am - surgery 10am. Not bad since it takes us 1.5-2hrs to get there depending on traffic. No drinking from 6am on but can have water from midnight to 6am. Life is good. Cannot wait to be on the recovery end with surgery done.

:welome: Welcome! Well, kinda /sorta. You're riding the fence right now, playing both sides, stuck in the middle.:heehee:

In all seriousness it's nice to see you here because it means you'll soon be resting easy with all that pre-op anxiety in the rear view! :happydance: I hope you find plenty of distractions to get you through this day and evening and maybe you'll even sneak in a few winks tonight. I know I did and was pleasantly surprised. Hopefully you will too. Will look forward to hearing from you once you're settled and resting comfortably.
Big hugs!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Last edited:
:giggle:
Love your thread title!!!!
I love your spirit and your acceptance and your oath of LAST ONE and done.
These bionic joints should carry you on to a great healthy life.
Healing hugs in advance.

Last edited:
:mcoffee:
Having a cup of coffee for you this morning.
See you here on the healing side.

Welcome to the healing side @leejaa ! Hope you're resting comfortably and full of lovely pain meds. :fingersx:

Yoohoo--the replacement day is finally here! I'll be thinking of you.

Hope you're in your room and resting comfortably at this time, maybe even had a little lunch. You did it and now on to that final recovery! So happy for you. :happydance:

Thinking of you and hoping it's a good afternoon and evening for you. LOVE! Your thread title.
As Ed Asner told Mary Tyler Moore "you've got spunk!"
:wave:

Surgery was over probably about 11. OS told husband that it was really bad. I knew it had to be bad from the pain but it was good to hear confirmation.

The fun started in recovery. Bad pain which I remember from last time. To he finally got it under control - actually within 15 min. Unfortunately I was not cooperating with breathing and she almost had to give me Narcan to reverse it. She was great because she just kept telling me to take deep breaths and it worked. Yay breathing even though I did not feel like I was not breathing deeply. Stayed in recovery till 3:30p due to no rooms and we were waiting for patients to be discharged and rooms cleaned. No nausea, and no sore throat feels from tube.

Finally got my room. These rooms are all private and I actually have a view. It is if the retirement village that is part of the house is hospital organization. Trees and houses and people are a great view instead of the hospital roofs I have had in the past.

Managed to go to bathroom before getting into recliner. Thank goodness we forget so much because this was very ouch. Not far to o bathroom but ouch getting off the stretcher and walking to bathroom.

So relieved to have this surgery over that I was almost ready. Plus because I went to bathroom and was drinking we got rid of the IV as long as I drank. Feels good not to have the line. Of course it is not out of my hand since I just got a dose of antibiotics.

Also had pain meds which started working within 12min a bit and then got rid of almost all the pain. I love Dilaudid. It has worked for me in the past.

Just had a lovely dinner. Whole wheat roll. Baked chicken breast stuffed with rice stuffing. Came with cranberry drink, hot decaf tea and 1 percent milk. For dessert fresh fruit cut up -no Green jello.

I sent husband home before my dinner arrived. It is 1.5 -2hr drive plus he has to feed my Riley who is 90# and wants dinner and love Pat's. He is our pooch reho really loves having both of us retired. My husband as also has to be back by 8am for my OT session at 8:30. Poor guy, lots of driving.

I one finger type on my phone while sipping my Bigelow tea with half and half.

Time for a nap soon.

I hope everyone who had surgery today is feeling good and is getting appropriate pain meds

Well, you're sounding fantastic, in good spirits, minimal pain, able to eat! Hope you have a restful night and manage to get some sleep. :egypdance: :sleep:

Sounding good...yes you are! I'll bet you're so relieved to be in recovery. That's a high all on its own. Wishing you comfort, well managed pain and some restorative rest overnight. Will look forward to your next update. :)
@leejaa

So glad to see your update, your hot tea sounds lovely. So glad to see you on the recovery side.
Sleep well.

Thank goodness we forget so much because this was very ouch
Boy, isn't that the truth?!? It's a lot like childbirth in that respect. :heehee: I was so ready for the surgery and so relieved when it was done that the pain when I stood up to walk really surprised me. It shouldn't have---after all, I had just had a major body part removed and replaced. It wasn't too bad for the first day, but by the second day I was a mess since I can't take opiods, and tylenol wasn't enough. Eventually they added in Tramadol, a different type of narcotic, and that helped.

Like you, I also felt relieved when my surgeon came in and told me what a mess my hip was---one of the worst he'd seen with bits of bone and tissue loose, and far more damage than shown on the xrays. I'd had horrendous pain, and have a high pain tolerance level. But even then, it's always good to be reassured that the surgery was necessary. I hope things keep improving for you day by day---you certainly are an experienced patient:)

Sleep is being elusive. Just took another dose of pain meds Dilaudid 3mg. Hopefully it will help and I have gentle music playing. I think my body got used to being awake.

On the bright side I have made 3 trips to the bathroom since I have been hydrating. Seems a bit easier than the first time.

Getting IV antibiotics.

Sweet dreams to all.

:hi:
Good to see you finally all done :yes:
Hoping you've got some restorative sleep.
Dilaudid is what I was given also as I am super sensitive to all codeine meds.
Worked well when taken on time.

Hope all goes well today and you will soon be on the way home.
Healing hugsxxxx

Good morning and hopefully you snagged some sleep last night! I think sleeplessness is part of the surgery deal. Sometimes the narcotics help but somewhere along the recovery road we all seem to fight insomnia.
I wonder if you will go home today? It's a chilly day along the east coast, I hope you have a warm coat with you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie