Last few questions before TLKR

flkayaker

Country
United States United States
2.5 more days until I get my new knee.
  • have been doing water cardio for 2 months, lost 17 pounds and definitely feel stronger
  • Passed all my pre op tests with flying colors
  • have to arrive at the hospital at 5am on the 13th with surgery at 7am
  • OS said I am his first surgery of the day and he will be all amped up on coffee...good to know since I can't have any!
  • spinal with femoral block and propanol
  • home Thursday or Friday
  • walker, commode, and pump for circulation being delivered on Monday
  • CPM machine in the hospital
  • going to use my existing scar (from my reconstructive surgery 25 years ago)
  • totally trust my OS
Questions that keeps lingering in my head (thanks to horror stories or just people wanting to share their experiences) is this:
Will they give me something to calm me down before the spinal?
Do spinals work most of the time? I don't want to feel anything.
Do I tell the anesthesiologist that I want enough propanol so that i don't wake up until it's over?

Hi.. My surgery was June 5th and I came home June 7th at Noonish.
I had a spinal and it was completely painless. I specifically asked the anaesth. for something to calm me down and he no sooner had me sitting up and leaning forward and said "this will be like a stiff drink!)then I answered "oh yea, very stiff" and collapsed forward onto the nurses shoulder... the the last thing I remember. I woke in recovery feeling fabulous. My challenging journey began later with the narcotics and nausea ...won't go into that on this post. Just wanted to reassure you that the spinal will more than likely be just fine.

I just had my rtk replacement on June 5th. I had all of the meds you mentioned. I was totally sedated before she even put in my femoral block. It was great. I woke up after surgery totally alert and ready to go. The anesthesiologists have these really good cocktails of pre surgery meds. [emoji3]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My surgical experience was exactly what you've described. I felt absolutely nothing, not even the spinal. In my case, I think it was administered after the sedation; worked for me! I told my OS and the anesthesiologist I didn't want to hear anything during the surgery and they made sure that's what happened. You'll be just fine and you'll wake-up without that general anesthesia fog. In the recovery room, I found it a little odd to not feel anything from the waist down, but once I got used to it, it wasn't an issue. So, relax and take some deep breaths. Soon it will be all over and you'll be on your way to healing. Best wishes!

I had a spinal, too, and I was out cold--the last thing I remember was being transferred to the operating table. If you tell your surgical team that you're nervous and/or want to be sure you're totally out, I'm sure they'll accommodate you. Good luck!

@roygardiner, best laugh of the day at your nano-second trip from pre-op to recovery; so true!

In pre-op, they said "we are going to give you some happy juice".... and I barely remember anything else. I didn't feel the nerve block. I vaguely remember being wheeling in to the OR. And after that, nada.
They want you to be calm and comfortable.... I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Having surgery on the same morning as you @flkayaker! They will be doing mine either 7am or 9am, will find out tomorrow afternoon! Sounds like the same protocol as I am having. When I found out I was having a spinal, I was excited and asked if I could watch... they told me no, I would be resting with my eyes shut... I was kind of sad a bit, this stuff fascinates me. Best of luck to you on Tuesday, see you on the bionic side as my grandson says..

I am loving your last few questions, flkayaker ! I'm still 2.5 weeks out so I am following you guys one by one...
So thank you for all the good questions and everyone else for the quick answers. So many and such good info, I can't keep up with them. Hey flkayaker, on another note - are you a kajak sporter ? Just wondering about your tag. Good luck today ! See you on the other side :)

nensi, yes, we love to kayak! we have two sit on tops, one sea kayak, and a tandem just for fun and when we have others along. Looking forward to getting back out on the water.

Knowledge is power and the more I knew going in, it would certainly help me understand what was happening and when. I will post a recovery thread as I had my surgery on the 13th and am now home!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back