TKR Larger Size Knee Prosthesis<

2. None. Occasionally I take a 1,000mg effervescent Paracetamol on waking if stiff.
Okay
3. No swelling. As the day progresses I get a slight puffy bit just below and inward of my knee which I massage along with the whole kneecap.
Got it
4. ROM is guesstimated at 120/0.

5. No icing, not necessary.
6. Not elevating. Use a foot stool when sitting.
Okay
7. Activity level zilch! I do no housework
Got it
8. At home exercise
Pedaling sitting in chair for 20 minutes, once a day.
Glute, quad and calf squeezes necessary for my atrophied muscles. 10 reps each 3/4 times a day.
I get up and walk about 40 steps every hour, with walker migrating to crutches from time to time.
I stand up for balance for a few minutes and sometimes march on spot for rep of 10. No specific timing.
okay
No formal PT.
Got it

So @Josephine, any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations or just continue as I am doing trusting that the muscles/tendons will eventually ease up as I regain strength?

Oh Izzy @Izabel
Sorry your knee is still causing problems....
In regards to larger prosthesis.. my twin sis had her 1st TKR which has always caused her pain & lack of ROM... when she had her 2nd TKR the surgeon said the implant was too big & put a smaller one in the 2nd one.
She still suffers with pain from 1st one & none from the 2nd one.

When I spoke to my surgeon he said what Jo said... the implants are measured by computer so cannot be too big... ?? No idea what lesson to take from this Izzy [emoji849]

Do hope you are feeling better & have a good weekend.

I’m lurking on the knee side... see my surgeon on 5th August for a knee consult... eeeeeeek!!!!

Love Chrissie xx[emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Izabel, Hoppy Nanny, Joephine,

Wow. “Made by computer”? Really? So sorry this has happened to you.
I have heard of this before. The swim instructor at my local Y thinks hers is too big, and frankly, when I look at her legs, that knee looks bigger than the other.
My OS says he uses a company that custom makes the implants for him for each patient and that he has 4 to 6 made and on hand and decides which one to use when he opens the knee and sees exactly what is going on.
I have had 2 PKRs by him and the knee implants feel perfect. My knees look and feel normal (once the recovery period has ended).
Josephine, do you know in general, how implants are generally selected?

Last edited:
Hoppy Nanny, marieltha,

:wave: Chrissie ... didn't expect to see you here! Guess we can seque together back and forth between hips and knees! :console2: interesting re your Sis.

My Surgeon didn't have a knee for me ... as I went in as an emergency for a Hip Revision so he had a hip ready and had to order a knee. He knew from an MRI I had previously had done that my knee was a mess. He actually sent my kneecap off for investigation as he thought there may be a small tumor ... but thankfully it was just a piece of 'lace' the worst deterioration he had seen. It doesn't really look much larger than my other.

I have to say that I cut my pedaling back by five minutes daily but get up and walk a little more often ... and strangely my knees seem to be easing up! Could be that is because I am now just past the four month mark of my new hip and muscles in general are finding their comfort zone.

Sending wishes to you both for a peaceful weekend.

Peace Card 2.JPG Izzy xx

Lovely image. Thank you! So glad you are doing better, Izabel[.
Will visit Portugal someday, I hope. In the meantime, enjoying the movie and especially the book, Night Train to Lisbon. And any and all works by Pessoa.

Ladies, there's no need to keep tagging each other. You're all following this thread, so you'll see the posts anyway.

When you start a post with a lost of tags, it makes it difficult for people reading on small devices, because they see the tags, but have to scroll down to read the actual message.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

The movie is different from the book. Remains true to the philosophical quality of the book, but adds a romance without making it sappy. Lovely. We saw the movie and then got the book.irons is magnificent. Please share with me your opinion of its depiction of Portugal.

Thanks about the avatar. I grow orchids in hanging wooden pots inside our pool cage (screen). They thrive! These cattelyas only bloom once a year, but can have two blooming pods sometimes a couple of weeks apart, with 4 to 7 huge, corsage orchids on each. They last about 10 days.
I grew the “easier to grow” orchids (moth or phalaenopsis and the oncidium) years before I added this one. My oldest is a 24-year-old “dancing lady” (looks like a Spanish dancer in a yellow and black dress) oncidium. Years ago, when we left Florida in the summer, I would hang it outside in a rubber tree that got rain and dappled sun, but no direct wind, and I would wire it in place, in case of a storm. Lived and bloomed and moved with us.

Last edited:
Just a short update. I have been practising easy Tai Chi for about 10 days and it is improving my balance immensely and consequently I have had less stress with my knees, So I will continue with this regime and go onward and upward in my progress.

Great Day Banner.jpeg xx

I have been practising easy Tai Chi for about 10 days and it is improving my balance immensely and consequently I have had less stress with my knees
My local Y has this class. I've been thinking about taking it. I'm glad you're enjoying it and that it's helping you.

Good Morning.jpeg Latest update in general which may be of interest to some. I visited my hip/knee Surgeon yesterday for a six0month hip/infection follow-up.

My X-Rays show knee and hip prosthetics are perfectly in place. There are no 'holes' in my bones but they are still weak so I must continue with the Calcium/D3 and strengthen them with gentle exercise. My Surgeon got up from behind his desk and proceeded to demonstrate exercises ... this is for the knees because he said hips don't need exercise ... now where have I heard that before I ask myself? :scratch: He said it will take time. I walked in pushing my wheelchair as support ... thank you @Hoppy Nanny xx X-Rays show no infection in hip nor had it migrated to knee. I don't need to see him for six months ... unless I need to.

Now the not-so-good news ... my right knee is bone-on-bone on the outside and eventually ..... :cry: Hubby asked Partial or Total and he said he does not believe in Partial or Resurfacing as they are only temporary fixes which may last ten years! In the meantime he suggests I do gentle bends/stretches with it and avoid full pressure on it. Under no circumstances do squats ... again, where have I heard that? :scratch: He mentioned ROM (never heard him say that before) and he looked at me sitting and said I have perfect 120 and that is how it should be for young people and adults alike after TKR. He said this is the standard for USA and Europe but in Asia it is 150 because of how they squat/sit.

So, all in all, I am delighted to say the least, and now I must push myself that little bit more so I can walk properly again. :walking:

Hubby asked Dr Pinto how was the best way for me to go up our individual steps around the house. Answer: handrails ... difficult with a 12 foot curved one to the lounge and a half moon shaped one into kitchen through arch and two outside to kitchen patio and front patio. Sigh, Hubby is pondering things!

Hubby also asked how I should go 'up and down steps'. I promptly said "up with the good, down with the bad" and Dr Pinto said "not necessarily". He got up again and proceeded to explain. When you go down a step, you should lead with your strongest leg, and when you go up you should also lead with your strongest. The reason being the lead leg in each instance is taking all the pressure and the other leg is just following behind.

Tips from Dr Antonio Pinto, Orthopedic Surgeon, Hospital Particular do Algarve for living with dodgy knees:
  • Gentle exercise frequently such as short walks, inside and outside. (no marathons nor football)
  • Whilst sitting, hold legs out in front parallel to floor, flex feet and push knees down, hold for a few seconds, repeat several times.
  • As seated but standing, hold leg up in front.
  • Standing, pull leg up behind bottom and hold for a few seconds.
  • Standing legs at hip level, perform gentle stretches to the left and right with flexing foot keeping knee straight.
  • Perform above standing exercises holding onto a back of sturdy chair or counter.
  • Never do squats, always bend from hip.
  • Maintain a healthy weight.
So, I will love you and leave you for now, wishing you ...

Izzy xx

Great information! Thank you for sharing that! I’m sorry you have to consider another soon but you now know how it will go!
Best of luck with the continued progress!

Thank you @LindaO . I hope all the advice helps as I do find it a struggle walking, with the left 'new' knee giving more grief than the left eventually needing attention.

I see you have a revision looming in a few weeks and I do hope that goes well for you. I will keep checking in.

Hugs Imp.jpeg Izzy xx

Thank you for the support in advance!
Keep us posted on how you are feeling!

Hi, I decided to visit you in your knee post for a change. I hope your knee pain has subsided.

I hope you are enjoying a wonderful weekend.
1D6D1141-3CC4-4A5C-9CD9-D74257F2B7C9.jpeg
Here’s an interesting image (from healingautoimmune website) for you. I was researching cashews to see if they aggravated arthritis and ended up reading about how they grow.
You always attach such lovely little pics when you visit my post that I thought the gardener in you would enjoy this.

Last edited:
Hello folk

I have not been on this side since 15 July and still have tight issues with my knees making it uncomfortable to walk comfortably. Things have not changed since I wrote the above//following ...

1. pain zero lying, zero sitting, 3-4 on standing and walking.

2. None. Occasionally I take a 1,000mg effervescent Paracetamol on waking if stiff.

3. No swelling. As the day progresses I get a slight puffy bit just below and inward of my knee which I massage along with the whole kneecap.

4. ROM is guesstimated at 125/0.

5. No icing, not necessary.

6. Not elevating. Use a foot stool when sitting.

7. Activity level zilch! I do no housework, cooking, cleaning or shopping, have a wonderful Hubby.. Not comfortable standing for than 5 minutes and am then leaning against something. My balance is still poor but working on that with Tau Chi. My day consists of getting up, bathing, dressing, exercising, crocheting and wandering outside with arm crutch. Too much time on backside.

8. At home exercise
Pedaling sitting in chair or static bike for 15 minutes, once a day.
Glute, quad and calf squeezes necessary for my atrophied muscles. 10 reps each 3/4 times a day.
I get up and walk about around the house (about 80 steps) every hour, with arm crutch
I stand up occasionally for balance for a few minutes and sometimes march on spot for rep of 20. No specific timing.

I am doing basically the same activities but have scratched out what I don't do and marked in red new. I also do knee presses into the bed and leg raises and sideways stretches each morning. Obviously I am working on the hip too. I look at my knee as having been done at the same time as my hip due to enforced inactivity as a result of various fractures discovered and hip infection (detailed on hip forum) till hip was replaced in March 2019.

Sorry this is lengthy but my question is this ... could my stiff knees be due to the daily knee pushes which perhaps are not necessary at this point.

Any advice gratefully received and thank you in advance.

Last edited:
could my stiff knees be due to the daily knee pushes which perhaps are not necessary at this point.
I'm not sure why you are doing these now but how about stopping them and seeing if this stiffness eases. Seems to me you are doing plenty of other activities that exercise your knees.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562