TKR Larger Size Knee Prosthesis<

Quick update ... but it is rather disappointing to me. Surgeon is keeping me on bone strengthening medicine for another two months and wants me to keep exercising for bone and muscle strength. Good news is he thinks he may just have to replace the stem with a longer one to compensate for the leg deficiency as all else seems well and healed. See him again on 17 September. :gaah:

All in all, it's a good report. I'm hoping for the best for you.

Thank you @sistersinhim. I should be more positive as he has my best interest in mind as he does not want any bones splitting during the op. For being private, at least he is not money grabbing and I always see him on time, no assistants, and he gives you at least 30 minutes for $47.50 discounted with a health shop card. It;s been 10 months now so very tiring but have only been seeing him for under 5 months since going private.

You certainly don't want your bones splitting! This preventive measure is for the best, I'm sure!

I am not sure where to put this but curiosity has got the better of me. My husband met a friend for lunch today and they met another friend. This other friend had a knee op years ago (maybe in the UK) and things were never right and he could barely walk. Now he has had this done

Barry leg brace.jpg

The men just wanted to take photos ... but neither asked what it was or for! It looks barbaric. What is it, please?

Let's tag @Josephine for her input. I think it's called external fixation but I am not sure why it would have been done in this case.

Yes, it's an external fixator. Much better than having internal plates and screws which might not be appropriate anyway if he has bone issues or an infection (which I doubt because his pin wounds look very clean!). They are most often used for failed fracture healing. Occasionally when a patient has a non-union, they can get long standing issues and then internal plates and screws just can't be used.

Here's another one called the Ilizarof
Ilizarov ex-fix.JPG

It also means the patient can be out of hospital quickly and out and about. Much better than limping around on crutches, don't you think?

It looks like it’s along the lines of those things people need with a head injury. A sweet older lady friend of mine had to wear one of those some years ago. I couldn’t imagine how she could sleep.

It seems this would be hard to lay down with, as the only support for the leg might be those screws.

@Jaycey, thank you.

@Jockette, yes I agree with you!

@Josephine, thank you for the explanation. Come to think of it, years ago a restaurant owner here had something like the picture you put up on his shin after falling down steps and breaking it.

I will happily continue with my non-weight bearing at present. :praying: :bow:

:wave: Knee People

I started BoneSmart on this side then migrated to the Hippie side of things but I am back here because I have a specific knee question.

I had a LTKR in March 2018 but was unable to exercise it as I had various other injuries and fractures to contend with. As of March this year with my new hip I have been able to re-learn to walk after 18 months being bed/wheelchair bound. I am finding it difficult to progress from walker to crutches as I do not have total confidence and cannot seem to 'loosen' my knee up to walk properly. I do practice heel to toe, pedal 20 minutes every morning and do on the spot marching. I have good ROM and straight.

Due to the poor state of my knee (subluxation, chondromalacia and osteoporosis) a slightly larger prosthesis was installed. Could this be the reason for slow progress and tightness? I also had a larger ball and a 30cm stem put in my hip/leg but these have not bothered me.
animated-thank-you-image-0078.gif
in advance for any advice.
Izabel xx

Last edited:
HI again, @Izabel
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your other knee recovery threads, so that we have one continuing story.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on

I'm really sorry you're still having problems with your knee, but you've been through so much and all the worry about your hip probably put knee considerations onto the back burner for some time.

I don't think the larger knee prosthesis will have a lot of bearing on your knee's slow progress, but I might be wrong. I think it's far more likely that your prolonged period of being bed and wheelchair bound has affected it.

Maybe you're pushing your knee a bit too hard now, and you need to cut back the exercising. Start off exercising gently and just a little, and only gradually increase the amount of exercise.

I'm going to ask @Josephine to advise you about your knee.

If a 'slightly larger prosthesis' was installed, it would still have to be an appropriate size for your knee so there should be no interference with the overall function of your knee. I think what you are feeling is simply general swelling and stiffness.

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Great heavens, what a dreadful time you have been having!! On a positive note you are on the recovery side of your tkr now, It takes time, but you will get there. By week 3 things feel quite a lot better I found, so hang in there - "this too shall pass" as they say. November seems good timing for your hip revision. Sending positive vibes your way x

Sorry @Izabel, my iPad delayed uploading the final pages of you thread so I was answering what turned out to be a much earlier post. Sorry about that!!! Sending positive thoughts your way x

It's happened the same way to me on my iPad! And probably will again...

@Celle, thank you for responding and I apologise for starting a new thread, I know better was was being a bit myopic yesterday! :doh: I thought I was being reasonable with my exercise ... in fact I thought I was slacking off a bit as I am not able to get back to daily activities yet, ie, cooking and cleaning. Poor Hubby is still doing it all!

@Josephine, Surgeon said slightly larger. I guess I thought after 16 months things may be easier but perhaps I should look at it as 4 months since I have been able to walk ... or three months since I was plagues with Plantar Fascitis following my 6 week weight restriction. :shrug:

Yes, I will be pleased to answer any specific questions you have ... your input is invaluable. Thank you.

Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
ai63.tinypic.com_eta39s.jpg

4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

@Josephine, I would just like to reiterate that my TKR was in March 2018 and my knee issues developed after my Revision THR in March this year when I was finally able to walk since October 2017.

So, the results from Portugal are ...

1. pain zero lying, zero sitting, 3-4 on standing and walking.

2. None. Occasionally I take a 1,000mg effervescent Paracetamol on waking if stiff.

3. No swelling. As the day progresses I get a slight puffy bit just below and inward of my knee which I massage along with the whole kneecap.

4. ROM is guesstimated at 120/0.

5. No icing, not necessary.

6. Not elevating. Use a foot stool when sitting.

7. Activity level zilch! I do no housework, cooking, cleaning or shopping, have a wonderful Hubby.. Not comfortable standing for than 5 minutes and am then leaning against something. My balance is poor. My day consists of getting up, bathing, dressing, exercising, crocheting and sitting outside for about two hours. Too much time on backside.

8. At home exercise
Pedaling sitting in chair for 20 minutes, once a day.
Glute, quad and calf squeezes necessary for my atrophied muscles. 10 reps each 3/4 times a day.
I get up and walk about 40 steps every hour, with walker migrating to crutches from time to time.
I stand up for balance for a few minutes and sometimes march on spot for rep of 10. No specific timing.

No formal PT.

I hope I have answered sufficiently for you to assess my issue.

Thank you in advance.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks