THR Large knot under and along incision<

Lucas2

Country
United States United States
Exactly 2 weeks out from posterior THR. Walking around without any assistance and off pain meds. The only thing bothering me is this huge knot. I’ve already had my other hip done and this did not happen. Sent pictures to the surgeons nurse yesterday and she says it’s a hematoma.
They see about 3 to 4 a year. What?! Unlucky..My surgeon does hundreds of these a year.
Nurse said these almost always resolve on their own. Back off the blood thinners, wear ace bandage and compression shorts, and try sleeping on the side of the incision. Geeesh..
Anyone else experience this?

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart and Recovery! Thanks for joining us.
Please leave both surgery dates below and which hip was replaced on each date. The info will be applied as your signature.

I haven't dealt with a hematoma but possibly someone will stop by that has. It sounds like you're in touch with your surgeon and received news it will most likely resolve on its own. I wish you speedy relief.

Please find the Recovery Guidelines below and pay special attention to the Big Tip toward the bottom.
Stop back often. We'd love to offer support and encouragement as you move through recovery.
A great day to you!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfo
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @Lucas2

Thanks Layla.. Left THR on 4/17/19. Right THR on 11/15/17

After 24hrs of compression, the large elongated knot/hematoma has not changed in any detectable way.
Seems not many have had this issue given the lack of feedback.

I'm quite sure it would take more than 24 hrs of compression for a hematoma to resolve.
Possibly there hasn't been anyone who's experienced a hematoma on the forum since yesterday. You may still get feedback in the days to come.

Use the Search bar at the top right of the page and type in Hematoma. Any posts where it's been mentioned will pop up and you will be able to read of others experiences until you get some response here.

A pleasant weekend to you.
@Lucas2

When I fell and broke my hip ,my elbow developed a huge hematoma. The doctor paid no attention to it at all. The nurse took a picture of it with her phone it did gradually go away.
I could think near or under the incision would be painful.

If it continues to bother you, you might want to make an appointment with your doctor and make certain everything is OK. I know that all of my follow up appointments with my surgeon are covered under my original procedure bill, which I really appreciate. It might be worth a visit if you find that worry about it is taking up a lot of your mental energy.

After 24hrs of compression, the large elongated knot/hematoma has not changed in any detectable way.
It will take longer than 24 hours for this to resolve. It's all about how fast your body reabsorbs this fluid. Patience is prescribed in large doses.

Thanks Jaycey and Debru, this being my second THR, I need to stop comparing the two? This morning, 17 days out and 3 days after noticing the hematoma, it has changed very little. You’re right Debru, I now have two artificial hips and the thought of this turning into a systemic infection is consuming me a bit..

Sure Josephine..thanks..been wearing compression shorts and wraps. The bulge has flattened somewhat but still feels full of fluid, like thumping a melon..no fever..
I’m using and iPad and am very adept at uploading files/photos.. The uploaded in this app is giving me the following error. I suspect the file is too,big..I’ll try to resize.

Hi Josephine, the last 2 pics are from Thursday, 5/2. The 1st one is from today..Thanks so mich for your opinion.

Lucas 1.jpeg

Lucas 2.jpeg

Lucas 3.jpeg

Good morning, hematoma are not to be ignored, sounds as if you are in contact with the correct people. It is up to you to be/become your own advocate. They are slow to dissipate, painful (will diminish, warrant being closely monitored). Hang in there and keep in mind the best way to see progress in to look "backwards ". Easier said than done, hang in there and keep moving forward. Good luck!!

Hi @Lucas2
Let's tag @Josephine just to make sure she catches the photos.
I'm sure she'll be by at some point soon. She had a little break and is most likely playing catch up.
I hope you're having a good week so far.
Take Care :)

Just touching base to see how you have fared the last couple days. Hope things are getting better.
Thanks for asking.. I saw my surgeon yesterday afternoon at the 3 week mark. My first appointment isn’t until the 4 week mark but this visit was specifically to address the hematoma. I like this surgeon, and he is highly regarded as the director of this ortho center. He takes one look at it and says “a resolving hematoma. The happen occasionally and I have absolute nothing to worry about.” OK then, see ya next week for an X-ray I guess.
My incision appears and feels like there is a water ballon under and along it’s length. Doesn’t hurt much, but I know it’s there.. My concern was infection and it’s impact not only this new left hip, but my previously replaced right hip.
I see you’ve had a rough go of it... Caprae, for a long time. My prayers go out to you.
When you discovered there was infection in the hip, it did not impact your other artificial one?

Lucas, can you show me where this lump is because I can't see one at all in any of the pictures (which I have edited!) All the wounds look perfectly normal to me.

Hi @Lucas2
It sounds like you received good news from the surgeon. I hope it brought you some relief.

I'm tagging @SCaprae for you to make sure he sees your update as well as your question to him.
He may stop by to check on you without the tag, but a tag is always a good idea if you want to make sure
the person you're targeting sees your post.
A great rest of the day to you!

Hi @Josephine
Maybe lump is the wrong term, maybe the pictures are just no good. Dont have any others. Thanks for the interest.

I imagine an infection could go systemic. However in my case that did not come up during conversations with the care providers or occur (had it long enough for it the migrate if it was going to).
The biggest impact that I see is loss of mustle tone and mass (proportional to the length of time that they are not used). Physical therapy is typically not needed post procedure, but once the implant is anchored I believe it has benefit. Presently doing just that (first week). I was/am working on regaining balance and rebuilding leg strength. Falling/stumbling is to be avoided.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom