THR Lancs lass recovery thread<

Hi Lass,
Oh that sounds good - I kneaded dough for Pirathas (Indian flat bread) yesterday and realized it isn't due to my hip surgery or former hip pain that I'm uncomfortable with that movement - it is much older from when I had a bad back - had fusion when I was 29 and from time to time still get twinges. I made lots of pasta a couple of years back and then stopped. I also don't vacuum much for same reason. Luckily the fella takes that as his job while I do bathrooms!

Feeling punk today - lousy sleep. So moving very slow.

That's a shame @labanan. I hope you feel ok now. Well this is my progress...trying to walk 10000 steps a day ( 5miles), driving for up to an hour, light digging, all housework. I'm a bit disppointed at how sore my back is still especially with walking. I still haven't knelt or Sat on the ground. I start work again in 2 weeks and I should be ready as it will be 3.5 months post surgery. Trying to lose weight too but not easy! I read the noise articles at the top of the forum. Scared me a bit! Bye Claire

Morning Lass! I'm most excellent now - 9 weeks after. And yesterdsy we walked to second beach, through the woods and I sat on the ground and sketched while the dog and fella went further. I did need assistance getting back up, and soon after coming home l rested and iced but besides feeling a Sundsy laziness I'm good!

At Christmas time I got a terrible flu, the doctor originally thought I had pneumonia. I lost a bunch of weight from sheer disinterest and it was still off by my operation. I feel myself sliding into bad habits again, especially being home all day so think I'll try and cut down. It's a shame to get new hardware and burden it, eh?

Okay, time to get out of bed sn5d enjoy the nice ds5y!

Oh dear. I'm in proper pain. THR 10th march 2017. I cant find my thread so I'm posting anew. I have pain in my side, a bit like a stitch on the same side as my operated hip. I also feel 'tied' in my groin and cant lift my operated leg very high. Whats going on? Just noticed I have posted in the knee section - should be in the HIP section....
Ouch,
Claire

Evening Labanan! I'm having a set back with a pain in my side, and I feel as though my leg is 'tied' in my groin. It feels very tight and I cant lift my leg easily. I have lost weight though. 5kg so far. 1 more and its a stone. wooo-eee! you sound like you are doing well and enjoying life....

Well done you! I've gone in the opposite direction - put on about 6 lb on holiday, so diet is beckoning after the weekend, unfortunately. Hope the pain subsides soon,
Best wishes
Diane

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Hi Lancs Lass exercises during recovery not on my shift spent most of the time icing and resting followed by short walks and afternoon naps if needed. It's important to take it easy and let that nice new shiny hip get adjusted to your body. Hang in there Lancs Lass

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

@Lancs Lass.
Sorry to hear about the current discomfort.
Lets see what Josephine says but hopefully you just did too much and twisted or pulled something.
Try to rest things a little for a few days and see what happens.
Joe.....

@Lancs Lass - hi, we seem to be missing each other! I'm now at 12 weeks and doing swell. I'm sorry you have some pain - hopefully it is just some tightness. My body still tells me if I've gone too far! Then it is back to icing and elevating for me! We head out for our summer trip on Monday. I'm a bit freaked about the distance but we'll stop for walks often!

Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? I don't know! Not anterior. I was laid on my side and the surgeon cut through the muscle. I have a 12" scar which I can post again to show you.

2. what are your pain levels right now?Low but constant. I have nagging pain which I take an Ibruprofen and a paracetamol for. I feel bruised from the back of my waist down to my iliac crest and around the side over the iliac crest.

3. pain medications I'm 16 weeks in so have finished all my meds. I quite often take 1 x paracetamol and 1 x ibuprofen in the morning.

4. are you icing No

5. are you elevating your leg In the evenings, for around 3 hours

6. what is your activity level?
I'm doing everything now, but some of it carefully. I'm not lifting anything heavy - dog, full bags of hen food (20kg). I do all the housework (not turning mattresses), all the cooking and shopping, all driving - though not over 90 minutes continuously. I've just started work slowly (up to 3 days a week) which may involve climbing over gates, walking over uneven ground, bending over to look at plants, sitting on the ground.

I've started at the PC again which makes me very stiff though I have enlarged the font so I'm not leaning forward. I do light DIY (putting a water butt together/collecting and delivering pallets).

Not in the bath yet (I don't have one), but swimming in the river. Getting dressed is still difficult (trousers, pants, socks, swimsuit) as I am so stiff and sometimes sore. I'm trying to walk 10000 steps a day, which is achievable depending on work commitments. I've driven my camper van and slept in the high bed. Can't think of anything else. I don't run, jog, climb, play any sports, do yoga (physio not keen) or pilates.

7. are you doing any exercises at home?
No, none. PT said that once my activity levels got up I wouldn't need to. I'm feeling I should be doing something as the leg is weak and getting stiff. The worst thing generally is this 'tied' feeling at the top of my leg, and specifically this new pain in my side. Generally the implant feels huge.

Hope this helps,
Claire

here is my incision. Lateral-posterior?

incision.jpg

And my implant

smaller implant.jpg

Make sure you let Josephine know especially about your activities...PT specifics... And icing elevating specifics. They can have more to do with your issues than you think!

@Mojo333 thanks for your post.if you read my response you can see that I have said I am doing no physio and no icing.i elevate my legs for about 3hours every evening, as I have stated above. I'll wait for J's response.

Honey can you please answer questions 2 and 3 more fully. I asked you for a pain score and also how much medication are you taking (in mg please) and how often. I cannot proceed until you give me this information.

Hi @LancsLass, what do you do for a job? I was intrigued that you could be looking at flowers but also climbing over gates! I am often up in your neck of the woods as I have friends in Eccleston and Garstang. Hope you feel better soon, but it has become apparent to me that our rates of recovery vary wildly. Went out to lunch today with some friends and one of them was better than me after 7 wks ( and I am 16 !). She had had anterior surgery, and is also a club tennis team player of many years standing, so perhaps there is a strong element of muscle memory!
Anyhow, wishing you better and chin up!
Diane x

Oops... Sorry I missed the no PT... Just want you to get the answers to your concerns... Hoping all temporary,... Best of luck!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562