THR LadyJ has a new hip and is doing well.

I got too big for my boots today!
I went into town to the hairdressers on Tuesday, and to the Nail Bar yesterday.
My lovely husband dropped me off very near to them.
Everyone said I was doing really well.
Today I went for a very short walk near home.
Oh Dear!
It was just down quite a long “close” near my home. I didn’t take my three wheeled walker, I did really well yesterday I will be fine.
Well I wasn’t, I got to the end and a neighbour started to speak to me, which was lovely, then my legs started to shake. I sat on a tree stump for a while, they were still shaking.
My neighbour offered to walk me home, it is literally minutes, but I thanked her and said no.
I sat a little longer.
I got up, legs still all a tremble.
I phoned my husband to come and help me home.
I am fine but disappointed.

So onwards and upward.
More walking with the wheelie first I think.
My brain is much more optimistic about what I can do than my body can achieve.
So I am out tomorrow at an exhibition which my husband wants to go to. “Railway Modelling.”
I will have a look round with my wheelie, then park myself in the bar / coffee shop/ viewing area.
I’ve got good hair and nails now though!

Good to see your update, dear @ladyj :friends:
Only I month post op and sounds very normal... hopefully as time goes you may see some improvement in your back pain...
Lots of resting can get your back complaining...it did mine!
Hope the rest of your week is lovely.
Everything is better with better hair:) :-) (:
You are quite right about the rest and the bad back. I need to keep going, but within my limitation!

Hi @ladyj
Good to hear the incontinence has resolved. I had a similar problem early on with several 'floods' and resorted to using Always Discreet pads. It has greatly improved although I still get the occasional leak if I don't move soon enough! Not sure if it's my imagination but it seems to be worse if I've taken codeine.
Am continuing pelvic floor exercises and now using panty liners instead of pads for security when I'm out.
Best wishes and go steady.

I spoke to my physio about this, and she said it happens to lots of people, especially those who had slight problems in that direction before.
I was really alarmed and expected to have problems that went on for months. Luckily that was not the case
It must be an awful thing to live with when it is permanent.
I am still using the enormous incontinence pants, though I very much doubt I still need them.
I feel that if I have to go out and can’t get to a loo quickly enough that I am protected. Also if I can’t get to the loo quickly at night.
I think that I should be able to consign them to history very soon though, as I regain more strength..
I think the exercises and the strengthening of the muscles is the important thing now!
So glad to hear you are doing well too.
This surgery is life changing, it just takes a while!

:wave: @ladyj
Just catching up and happy to see things are improving...
Hope your Thursday is sunny and bright:SUNsmile::flwrysmile:

I seem to have hit a brick wall andI don’t know why.
As you all know I was doing really well, then a few days ago I woke up to find I was sleeping on my operated hip, but hey, it was almost six weeks, and it felt and looked OK.
Since then my hip has been sore and particularly in the mornings my knee feels swollen when I wake up.
The THR seemed to have cured this problem, my hip and knee felt solid, didn’t hurt and I didn’t have shooting pains at the back of my knee at all.
Now they all seem to be back.
I have an appointment with my surgeon on Thursday so I hope he will be able to explain to me what is happening.
Obviously I am very upset.
Can anyone shed any light on what might be going on.
The hip still looks and feels well healed and normal.

Hey @ladyj glad to see you recovering well. I just wanted to offer some support and let you know I experienced everything you’ve been experiencing. Several months after my THR I was also wetting myself, it wasn’t like I emptied my full bladder everywhere but more I couldn’t hold lots in and subsequently couldn’t get to the toilet quick enough (I’m 33 so knew this wasn’t an age thing). Am now 8 months down the line and it’s all settled down now and I’ve had no more episodes thankfully. After my op I suffered mostly from back pain not hip pain…I didn’t suffer from a bad back before the op therefore this was strange to me but it was agony. Anyway cut a long story short and my consultant suggests that I have suffered from some nerve damage during the op and prescribed my Amitriptyline which has taken all the pain away. My consultant hopes I will only be on these a short time while the nerves etc settle down.

So you are not alone…I’ve been here and it’s miserable but it gets better.

I’m already on the Amytriptiline for a neck problem, and I think that the incontinence is 95% better.
The back ache is tolerable.
When I saw two surgeons before the operation they said that I might need a THR and a PKR.
I have been doing so well that I thought I would get away without having the knee done, now I am not sure!
Thank you so much for your thoughts. I feel sure I will get out of this miserable situation and look back on it as an experience.
I will be very relieved after I see the surgeon who I have total trust in.
So glad to hear you are doing so well now.
it is very encouraging.

Abs850
I just want to thank you again for your words of encouragement a few days ago. I was having a down moment I think, which is easy to do in the THR scenario, as you know.
I saw my surgeon today and I am doing just fine, and I won’t need a knee replacement anytime soon either.
I think I turned a corner today.
It is still early days, and because I couldn’t do very much for a long time because of the arthritis my muscle strength is rubbish.
So still lots of aches and pains to look forward to but I know now I am definitely on my way!
Thank you again!

Good to read you received reassurance from the surgeon that all is well...and you aren't in need of
a knee replacement. :happydance:Yay!
I hope the past week and a half was good and the upcoming week even better.
Happy Two Month Anniversary. Righty!
@ladyj

Thank you. Yes doing fine really. I just wish it would stop raining, if it is as bad tomorrow as it has been today I will have to do my daily walk round the supermarket rounding up the families Easter Eggs!

I seem to have hit a bit of a brick wall. My recovery was going really well but now when I first get up from the bed I can hardly stand because my hip and my knee both hurt.
it gets a little better once I am up.
This has only happened since I started taking longer walks.
Resting and icing as much as possible.
See physio next week.

I seem to have hit a bit of a brick wall. My recovery was going really well but now when I first get up from the bed I can hardly stand because my hip and my knee both hurt.
it gets a little better once I am up.
This has only happened since I started taking longer walks.
Resting and icing as much as possible.
See physio next week.

I'm sorry you are having a tough week @ladyj. I overdid it last week and today is the first time I feel like I am back to where I was last Wednesday. I'm finding that recovery time once you have strained the soft tissues is quite long. Not like a normal non-surgical pain of doing too much in a day.

For a week I also felt like I was stuck in this setback, but today it was like someone flipped a switch and I am so so much better. Give it time. I know it is so frustrating (and for me: scary), but it will get better.

My physio recommended going back on two crutches until the pain subsides, and although I had a bit of a mental block doing so (I was grieving all of my progress...), it helped.

I hope you feel better VERY soon :flwrysmile:

Thank you so much.
I know this is just part of the process but it doesn’t help very much when you get stuck in the situation.
I did another short walk today.
I am still doing some of the physio exercises but don’t like to push it.
So glad you are progressing now.
Hopefully we will both be making a really strong recovery very soon.
I just want to get back to normal.

I seem to be stiffer when I get out of bed In the morning or even get up from a chair.
I have to stop, balance, jig about for a moment and then proceed in a forward direction.
I thought this would have gone away after 12 weeks?

I thought this would have gone away after 12 weeks?
Remember this recovery can take up to one year or longer. Many of our members experience this same stiffness for many months post op. Ice and elevate. Move slowly when you are stiff. All this will ease with time and patience. 12 weeks is still early in a 12 month process.

Jaycee, thank you so much. I hoped that is what you would say. I just went for a short walk, and was walking strongly, so I felt better about it.
When I first had my THR my whole leg felt stronger, but as I am doing more there are more aches and pains.
I limped for so long before my THR I am trying to walk more strongly which I think will help.

Just went to see the physio, she was very nice to me. She really doesn’t think I have got anything sinister going on, just soft tissue injury from slightly overdoing it.
Now, it’s rest, ice, no exercises, etc etc.
Just need a good book.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back