TKR Ladyala recovery

@Poctdb thanks...good suggestions.

I'm an emotional wreck today & I'm really frustrated with myself. I'm sure part of it is hormonal. It's just hitting me this morning how much working in the kitchen hurt & what the heck is wrong with me, thinking I can do a full week already? And the crazy sports schedules we have starting next weekend & we need to go grocery shopping & work politics stress & wahhhhh!!

Yesterday I was all lighthearted about it all but my stress level was rising behind the scenes & blamo- all the feels at once. Now I'm a tearstained mess who would like to stick her head in the sand & hide from life.

Why does this always surprise me? This is not an unusual cycle, I've had depression for years so I should expect it but it hits like a ton of bricks. Every. Stinking. Time.

My life is good overall. I am progressing. I am stronger. I can do more. I have a home, 3 amazing kids & a loving husband. I have good friends & a great job that I love. I have a ton to be thankful for...why isn't that enough?

Depression is dumb & annoying & inconvenient. I'm not looking for answers, just needed a place to vent. I want my life back dangit!

Please feel free to give me a virtual smack in the face, clearly I need an attitude adjustment today.
Aw!!! You have been pushing yourself hard so no wonder! Be as nice to yourself as you would be towards your own best friend. If your best friend posted the above, you'd say, "You need to rest. Here, put your feet up, and I just refilled your ice machine so please ice for a while. Want some ice cream? You are still recovering from major surgery and need to rest and sleep."

:friends:

It is hard to know where the line is that we must not cross for fear of doing too much. For years we have known where that line was, but now our bodies have changed the rules and it's very easy to accidentally overdo.

Last edited:
You don’t need an attitude adjustment, you need a big hug! My mood swings have been crazy, especially over the last two weeks as i feel like my recovery is just not progressing at all. I go from panic to frustration to discouragement to “ok i actually feel decent today”. Each time i have to try something for the first time since surgery I’m nervous. Today i have a hair appointment and baby shower and wedding reception all in the same day, without enough of a break to ice and elevate properly in between. I’m sure it will be fine (though I’ll be tired tonight) but I’ve worked myself into such a state of anxiety. And of course, my knee was stiffer than usual when i got up this morning, like it KNOWS what’s going on today.

So vent away! We get it! Take things one day at a time and as i keep telling myself, “you will get though it”!!!

@Ladyala
Consider me the “attitudes adjustment chiropractor “ this Saturday.

First...a joke. What kind of potato makes the best guest speaker? A commentator

Second....you get to drive the Patience Bus until further notice. (I will remove the speed governors) just think, no insurance, no payments, no kids!

Third....one of the things that I have found helps when I am less than even keeled is exercise. Find a park or a walking trail and the two of you (Fred must go of course) take a long slow walk.

Please come back again as the chiropractor is taking future appointments. Hope you feel better soon.
(P.S. all visits are free.)

@Poctdb you always make me smile!!
I'll bet the patience bus even has a handy dandy shelf for propping up fred while I drive!!
:happydance:

@Ladyala
Shelf?! For Fred?! Oh no.....Fred has a custom, padded adjustable for elevating built in....with an ice machine!
The Bus underwent an upgrade when @FitGal seat was upholstered in camo......

I am glad I make you smile....but actually I am after belly laughs...so I must try harder...:yahoo:

No slaps from me, but if I could, I'd put you in time out. Seems like a nice afternoon in the corner comfy chair with a pillow for Fred and all your meals prepared and delivered by House Elf would be exactly what you need!

Please be nice to yourself. Every shift and change as been tough, this is just another one. It may be 'normal', but it hasn't been 'normal' for several months. You can do this!

Hubby gives me massages. But they are hubby massages, not professional.
So well said :)

We are here for you @Ladyala! Hang in there... (can't find the emoji for a virtual slap...so here goes a few others.....) :bignono::no-fin::skep::bored:

Last edited:
@Poctdb thanks...good suggestions.

I'm an emotional wreck today & I'm really frustrated with myself. I'm sure part of it is hormonal. It's just hitting me this morning how much working in the kitchen hurt & what the heck is wrong with me, thinking I can do a full week already? And the crazy sports schedules we have starting next weekend & we need to go grocery shopping & work politics stress & wahhhhh!!

Yesterday I was all lighthearted about it all but my stress level was rising behind the scenes & blamo- all the feels at once. Now I'm a tearstained mess who would like to stick her head in the sand & hide from life.

Why does this always surprise me? This is not an unusual cycle, I've had depression for years so I should expect it but it hits like a ton of bricks. Every. Stinking. Time.

My life is good overall. I am progressing. I am stronger. I can do more. I have a home, 3 amazing kids & a loving husband. I have good friends & a great job that I love. I have a ton to be thankful for...why isn't that enough?

Depression is dumb & annoying & inconvenient. I'm not looking for answers, just needed a place to vent. I want my life back dangit!

Please feel free to give me a virtual smack in the face, clearly I need an attitude adjustment today.

@Ladyala keep venting! It’s so helpful to get the emotional and physical complaints off your chest in a safe and supportive place such as this forum. Depression can be a sneaky little sucker and it sounds like you realize that, which is half the battle. Forgive yourself, vent, keep being thankful for all the good, and know that this too will pass, given the time needed.

@Ladyala
From my not-in-the-least-scientific observations of the stages of recovery of others as shared here, when you get to the “I want my life back!” stage, you are almost there
(@winemama ’s thread comes to mind).

The stage before that for women seems to involve buying new shoes, LOL

PS to @FitGal , although I laughed out loud at your search for an emoji virtual slap, I hope you don’t find one!

You all are awesome & I appreciate every one of you!!
:yahoo:

I decided to take 2 more days off from the kitchen & only work m,w,f this week in the hopes it will help.
This turned out to be an extra good thing; I went to my first ever dermatologist appt today & they took a biopsy of a spot on my right instep!! Owwww!!! They numbed me of course, so at the time it was fine but now it aches like crazy & I'm fighting to keep from walking on the outside of my foot. But I've decided to concentrate on being grateful it's on my non tkr side!!
So there, take that ya dumb pain, you're not gonna get the best of me- HA!

I hope all turns out well with the biopsy.

I'm glad you took a few more days for yourself. We have all learned the hard way what comes of pushing too hard and too fast.

Good thoughts coming your way! Take it easy on that foot today...

Biopsies were negative...yay!! The one on my foot stopped hurting after a couple days...yay!!

This week has been emotional & hard. I'm frustrated at being sore so much. I'm frustrated with midlife female issues that I will spare details on...have a dr appt tomorrow requiring yet another day off from the kitchen. (Also had to cancel a pool PT appt due to it) Ugh!! I only get 18 sick days per school year & I've used nearly half of them already. Hopefully I won't get sick this year!!

Its just been a busy week & I'm tired. Good golly I feel like such a negative Nellie.

Am I progressing? Yes!
No scary spots on my skin? Yes!
I have an amazing family, good jobs, and an awesome family. I am blessed!!

Ok rant over, life is good, God is good & I AM GOOD!!!
(I'm not entirely convinced yet...but that helped!)
Hope you all are well & your new body parts are treating you well!!
:wave:

Great news that the spot are negative! God is good all the time!

Well first things first.... Yay for negative biopsies!!! :loveshwr::wowspring::flwrysmile::happydance::yay:

Being alive and healthy is a great start on the road to happiness.

Second, although I am 71 I remember being your age and the midlife female issues at that time which for me, were awful. I hope your doctor can do more about them than mine could, or would, way back then. I think you will probably be able to stay within your allotted sick time, and that would be the easiest way to handle things. But if you still need more time off, perhaps you can get some unpaid time off.

Everything will work out. Now, time for a nice nap, a nice dinner (take out maybe, so you don't have to cook?), and a quiet, relaxing evening.
Remember we are all on the TKR recovery rollercoaster. :good-bad: If you are feeling a little down right now, that just means that you will feel much happier soon! :console2:

Woohoo!!! Clean biopsies are wonderful things!

I hear you loud and clear on Female Issues. Or as I like to say, reverse puberty. Which seems to be about as much fun as the first one was. Can you say night sweats? :bignono::censored::headbang:

Yay for so much good news! I feel you on the frustrations (and on the female issues - night sweats are THE WORST). I absentmindedly closed the cupboard door with my knee this afternoon. BIG mistake! :bignono: I'm anxiously looking forward to the time when it won't be so sensitive and I can stop thinking about it!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom