TKR Ladyala recovery

Ladyala

Country
United States United States
Hi all!
I had a left tkr on 6-17 so I'm at about 4 weeks post op. I was supposed to get a partial, in fact it was all installed but my legiments or tendons (I don't know what holds what in place lol) weren't keeping everything in place & I had a 30% chance of it blowing out. So my surgeon didn't like those odds & went ahead with the total. I was disappointed but I'm grateful it was obvious so I didn't have to deal with 2 surgeries!

I had pt in the pool for the first time a couple days ago & loved it. I got a little overconfident afterwards & overdid it with walking etc. So my knee was quite swollen that night & yesterday.

I have a question...ever since the pool PT I've had a lot of skin pain. It was just numb before and tickly feeling with sheets or air blowing on it. I did get a slight sunburn (wont forget the sunscreen again!) but mostly its nerves...I think. I get these needle-like shooting zaps going across my scar. It's also sensitive to anything touching it, or air blowing across it. No more tickling, just pain & its driving me crazy! It's also making icing very difficult. Any ideas??

Its all about timing I think rather than the pool. I got real sensitive about 3 weeks post-op and used GLAD Wrap over area for about a week or so when sensitivity went down. Zingers still happened until weeks 6/7 but less frequently as time went on. I now only get them once or twice a week.

Happy healing of your baby knee. Welcone to the rollercoaster ride.

Hi and Welcome!

The pool can feel good at the time, but it can also wear you out. Less is more this early in recovery.

My first pool PT was at 4 weeks and they kept me in the pool for almost an hour. :yikes: It did not feel good at the time, and it took me 3 days of additional pain and swelling to recover. I didn’t go back.
I get these needle-like shooting zaps going across my scar.
These are probably what we call “zingers,” it’s nerves waking up.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Thanks for your replies!!

I'm working to desensitize it by gently rubbing with cloths of various textures but holy cow it hurts. I tried the plastic wrap thing for sleeping & it really helped. I'm also using aspercreme with lidocaine & that seems to take the edge off.
Icing is fine earlier in the day but the later it gets the more my nerves zing & I can't stand ice on it for more than a couple minutes. My soft covered ice pack feels like knives stabbing me!

But I know it won't last forever, and I'm grateful to not have bone on bone anymore.

I guess this is a pretty common thing as the nerves start figuring things out again. I was fine up until about 2 days ago. Yesterday my new knee decided to complain about my soft summer skirt just laying there. So, just one more unpleasantness to check off and work through.
Everything is better than it was before though right? I'm amazed every time I can stand up easily.

Yes it is better. I have a hard time seeing the positive sometimes. No more arthritis pain is a blessing!!

This morning I didn't as much relief from it so PT might be a nightmare today.

Im also sad today because my oldest kid, S went off to wrestling camp. Thankfully my sister was able to come take him. It's over 2 hours to get to his camp & I'm not ready for that yet!! But I miss him already, he's gone for 7 days & I'm sad I couldn't take him & get him settled myself.

I have 3 teens, a 17 yo boy (S) & 15 year old girl & boy (twins, A & E.) We are in the middle of a sports camp marathon, S already had one camp with his team, E just got back from bb camp & the day S gets back from this camp, A goes of to vb camp. Whew!!

Ok enough pity party for today. I am blessed my sis could help. My twins are both home so I have helpers. I get to do PT today & work on mobility. God is good & always with me. I am getting better & everything will be ok!! Time to pray & get on with my day.

PT went well, they left my scar alone & massaged around it. I have a lot of puckering & they think my internal stitches aren't letting go so I gotta call the dr about that.

Internal stitches often take a long time to dissolve fully, but they will do it in the end and that puckering will go away naturally.

It's not even a month since your surgery and there's no need to be concerned about it at this very early stage in your recovery. Tell your therapist to stop worrying you about something that is perfectly normal.

So apparently I'm having a reaction to my sutures. They are holding on in like 4 or 5 spots. Dr said it should get better in about 2 weeks & gave me an antibiotic. I just hope it doesn't mess up my pool PT. I love pool PT!!

My main concern is being able to go back to work when school starts up. I'm a bus driver & lunch lady so having a knee that works is kinda a big deal! Also we have a family reunion coming up in 3 weeks at the beach & I want to enjoy that too.

Anyway hope everyone is doing well, thanks for the responses!!

I had a few stitches that took forever to dissolve, in fact they poked their little heads out, and we pulled them out
I hope you can get back to work

Now I'm getting an open area so pool PT isn't going to work...and all my PT appointments are scheduled for the pool. Oh this is SO frustrating! I know this is just a speedbump but right now it feels like a mountain. Depression is rearing its ugly head today. I know this will be ok, I know it will get better. I know my hope is in the Lord & He knows exactly what I'm going through. He is with me every step of this journey. I just feel lost today. I'm trying to concentrate on being grateful. Gotta pull on my big girl panties & get on with it.

Sorry your pool PT has to be postponed. I love the pool too. It will get better and you will be able to get in the pool later. Hang in there!

I’m sorry about your speed bump, but try to think, it’s temporary. :console2:
I know my hope is in the Lord & He knows exactly what I'm going through. He is with me every step of this journey.
I agree and hang on to this myself. He didn’t promise things would be easy, but He did promise to always be with us.

I envy you pool PT even if you're going to have to take a break from it for a bit. We don't have anything like that and I miss the pool terribly. Before surgery I was water walking 2 hours a week and it felt so good to move easily!

Depression is, unfortunately, a common side effect of surgeries. Don't let it get to you. We are all here to share our own experiences and it will get better.

@Ladyala feeling was if I pulled one bit the whole thing might unravel like knitting :scare:

HE will never leave us or forsake us. Everything works for good for those who love the LORD and are called according to HIS purposes! I could go on and on. When bad things happen or my plans are suddenly changed, I always say that the LORD has HIS reason for this happening this way. I do believe that. Sometimes, though, I do get angry! That's when I have to step back and pray. Not easy either!

Staying out of the pool is the best thing for you right now. It is so easy to overdo and end up setting your recovery back some. What opened up on your knee?

@sistersinhim
I'm reacting to my internal sutures & they might be working their way out. I got a tiny white spot a couple days ago & now its open & draining a little. Today I noticed a similar spot further down so it might do the same thing. Kinda gross!

I appreciate your words sister. God is good all the time & His timing is perfect.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back