THR LABabyMama's Recovery Thread

ODIC!! Welcome from @inthebeginning and @59billy
It’s all good. Like @Layla said, we have to push just a little to learn about our new joint. Not too far but just enough to feel it. If we sat on the recliner all day, we wouldn’t really be helping the entire recovery. Granted rest is best but at some point we have to figure out how to get back into our daily routines and find our new normal.
I’m feeling it this morning for sure, but I suck it up and realize that I’m now stronger!

Keep fighting the good fight!

I don't want to be misunderstood. I don't mean we should push ourselves in an effort to discover our limitations, but that through engaging in activity we often discover we've unintentionally done too much. I don't feel you should ever be intentionally "pushing it" with a goal of "feeling it" later on.
I referenced the Activity Progression for THR often in my early recovery. I'm thankful that I had a great recovery, I have no complaints. I did overdo it one day as I began transitioning from the walker to the cane. Rest, ice and a good night's sleep took care of it though.

Use the Activity Progression below as a rough guideline in these early weeks. I think you'll find that in doing so, your progress will be steady, without set-backs.
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

Happy Sunday!
@LAbabymama

I don't want to be misunderstood. I don't mean we should push ourselves in an effort to discover our limitations, but that through engaging in activity we often discover we've unintentionally done too much.[/USER]
I guess I was trying to say the same. Saying ‘pushing’ was incorrect. But we do have to build up our activity levels per BS, OS and PT/OT recommendations. That may result in temporary membership in the ODIC. Again, it is my belief that is a good thing. Uncomfortable, yes, but in my eyes a necessary step in the process to learn the new joint and it’s limits as well as get the most out of the second chance we’ve been given.

Last edited:
Suffice it to say we disagree @inthebeginning

I stand behind the BoneSmart philosophy on early recovery -
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

I've been here long enough to see that those who follow this protocol, overall, have the best recoveries, experiencing continued progress without setbacks. It's tried and true in my opinion.
Heal first, exercise later.

@Layla
Different philosophies! As I mentioned above, the BS guidelines are a great, proven recipe for recovery. However, each person’s OS and PT/OT team can dial in and tailor recovery that’s best suited for you the individual. I’m obviously not saying ignore one or the other, but you know your body better than anyone else. You know what you are capable of and what you can accomplish. You know where you came from and what you need to be able to do to live your life.

Within the limits of what is recommended and prescribed, you have to be able to make progress. That is not going to be the same for everyone. I’m 53 and am a fairly active person. You are different, 59Billy is different, Roofmaster (from 6 years ago) was different. All I am saying is that it is up to each of us to decide how we want to work through recovery sticking closely to the guidelines. Obviously not live in the ODIC, but again, work at our own pace during recovery.

I for one am not sitting around for much longer than 6 weeks waiting to get back to work! I’m not going to jump on the bike anytime soon either. As badly as I want to!

@LAbabymama Not to hijack your thread but to join in with the latest conversation. My 2 cents which isn't even worth a penny, but if you combine the posts together this is my thought with recovery. I wake up and feel great, wow-----this is wonderful, the hip must have healed over night! So now I'm going to go do the laundry, stand for 2 hours and prep food, go to the grocery, pick stuff up around the house...........I feel just wonderful today, life is great and I'm back to normal. Sure. Then even before bedtime, I realize how tired I am and oh yeah, what is that pain in my hip, thigh, knee, whatever? What happened? I didn't "do" anything today, just my usual pre-surgery chores. THAT is where the ODIC comes in. Then you spend 3 or 4 days with ice and elevating, you're back to doing NOTHING and wait a minute....it might be a week before you can even go for a short walk with no pain. It's easy to say listen to your body but somewhere along the way you need to put your brain into action too. If I do too much one day, I have to sit on my butt for several days after. The end result, yep I'll be crazy enough to do it all again when I "think" I'm suddenly healed again. ODIC, always there to kick you when you least expect it!!! And all of that is without PT!

And LAbabymama, you are doing good.........you knew to take it easy, ice and elevate after that trip. I have been shopping with an 80+ year old mother and Lord have mercy, what a trip it is! I hope you don't have to do that again for another few weeks!

Hoping you're feeling better today.
Went to church today and my best friend of 50 years visited., and my grand daughter visited--- the best medicine!
But I'm still taking a break with my feet up and ice. So tempting to overdo!!!
Hoping you're finding your balance, too.
Good luck with your med tapering.
It'll happen and you will hear those magic words " you can drive!"

@LAbabymama Not to hijack your thread but to join in with the latest conversation.
I think that’s what the forum is all about. We shouldn’t think of it as hijacking so much as sharing our experiences to make it easier and better for each other!

We all must remember however, what good for this goose isn’t good for the gander! We will all get back to a place where our daily lives closely resemble pre-op conditions. Some may get there sooner and some may not. Either way, we can come here for supporting, encouraging and enlightening words!

Wow -- thanks everyone for sharing your experiences! I can appreciate everyone's position and agree that there is no one way to go about recovery - especially since we all started out at different levels of fitness, we all live in different places, have different surgeons with different protocols, and have different lives and daily expectations placed upon us. I long for the type of recovery where I can take it slow and rest often, but with two small children that's a near impossibility. I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot of time in the ODIC. :tiredwheel:

Right now my main goal is not to dislocate my hip or get an infection. I've returned to part-time work and have resumed some family responsibilities. And so far the pains I feel are manageable. My husband has been great at giving me time to rest when I need it. And at least for the next couple of weeks, my almost 80-year-old mother is doing most of the household chores (and I feel terrible for making her work so hard). Thankfully I'm a writer and can work from my bed/recliner. And the weekdays are more restful since my oldest is in school and the youngest is with her nanny. The weekends are a struggle, but they were like that even before my new hip. I'm actually moving better and faster than I was before the surgery. And every day I feel like I'm getting stronger (with minor setbacks here and there).

My husband is making a documentary of my experience and last night we watched all the footage. It's amazing to see the progress I've made in just a few short weeks. It reminds me that one must have patience and a positive attitude in this type of recovery. And support from a great community like this doesn't hurt either!

@JennyLynne and @SE Florida I'm hoping to be able to post the movie to this site (it may actually be broken into shorter chapters) as long as that's allowed. We figure it'd be a good resource for people considering whether to get the surgery. Of course, we all know that everyone's experience is different, so I wouldn't want to give people the wrong idea either.

What a fabulous idea... a hip movie...can’t wait to see it!!
You are doing so well... so pleased that your life is getting back to normal...

Regarding the conversation on recoveries... everyone is so different... both my recoveries have been different...but Ive taken the view this time that if I have to dedicate 8 weeks to taking recovery slow & steady I will... because The 18 months before the op was so painful and it is such a small time to get it right and give my hip the very best chance of lasting the rest of my lifetime.... and my hip is fabulous... no pain... nothing... the best outcome!! I can do all I want to do... pain free!!

Hope everyone’s outcome is as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy to hear you are doing so well in your recovery :) And what a great idea to document your recovery journey, I would also love to watch it if you end up posting it here!

Big update today: I finally had my staples removed! Just in time for my three-week anniversary. My OS says the incision is healing nicely. I can shower tomorrow and put water on it as I wish. He wants me to increase the length of my walks each day and eliminate all physical therapy except for the heel slides, which he feels are most helpful in increasing range of motion. In a month he says I can return to aquatic therapy if I wish.

My OS breezed through the appointment, so I’m glad I had written down all my questions beforehand. Otherwise I think I would have forgotten every one of them. He says there’s a small leg length discrepancy and that is what has been causing a lot of my new aches and pains. The back, hip and pelvis will have to adjust and he wants me to give it 3-6 months before doing anything to correct the discrepancy. The most surprising thing he said was that I should never again use a jacuzzi. Has anyone else heard this from their doctor? I would think that after the joint has healed it would be okay, but he says jacuzzis harbor lots of bacteria and are never a good idea.

He also said that I can carry the baby as soon as I feel stable enough to do so. I have no idea when I’ll be able to lift her from the ground again. When did others find they could start picking up heavy things from the floor again? And how long was it before you could get down on the floor?

I can’t believe how much progress I’ve made in just three short weeks. This truly is an amazing surgery. Yesterday I felt I really turned a corner pain-wise. I forgot to take my nighttime oxy dose and woke up stiff, but not in too much pain. I think I should have no trouble stopping the meds completely by the end of the week. All in all it’s been a good morning. PT comes this afternoon so I’m sure I’ll be exhausted later. For now I’m going to sit back and enjoy my progress. And here’s an x-ray of my hip if anyone’s interested.

Attachments

• 1E4AF5BA-6C8E-44B5-ACC3-BFD2F9FCF226.jpeg
    1E4AF5BA-6C8E-44B5-ACC3-BFD2F9FCF226.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 237
Glad to hear you go the staples out, those things in themselves are just annoying as all get out! Hope I get glue for mine. Awesome report from the OS, you are seriously rocking this recovery. Just remember that slow and easy is key here, don't go getting too sure of yourself and end up in the ODIC.

I have heard about avoiding jacuzzis at all costs when you've had replacements or transplants due to the high level of bacteria. Guess they are considered quite the breeding ground. :eeeuw:

Great news though, have a great rest of your day/night!

Nice update @LAbabymama! All really good news, you're definitely on your way! I'm not sure about either the jacuzzi or lifting from the ground. I didn't have any restrictions but I stayed away from lifting anything that was on the heavy side. Maybe someone on here can give you some feedback on their experience with that. I have been able to get down on the floor again but I didn't try that until recently and VERY carefully of course, making sure I had something close by to pull myself up with just in case! :umm:And probably not recommended too early either! :whistle: So happy your doing so well, way to go! :happydance:

Great update... so pleased for you. Getting those staples out helps so much & having the first shower is heaven!

My doctor said the same about jacuzzis... he didn’t mince his words... he fears that they are breeding grounds for all kinds of nasty bacteria and no-one should use them... EVER!

You will know when you can bend & pick up your little one... your hip will let you know...

Keep on rocking that recovery xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back