THR LABabyMama's Recovery Thread

I didn’t pick up a hair dryer until last weekend, and only because we were going out for Mother’s Day.

And for shaving my legs... well... not sure how to handle that with the 90 degree restrictions so I’m just going to be wearing pants for a bit longer!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Thanks @Layla! I may have to get one of these. Especially with summer right around the corner, it’s going to be tough to keep wearing pants all the time.

@LAbabymama and @JennyLynne I use Nair cream hair remover. Hubby has to do the lowest part of my legs but at least he isn't waving a razor around at me :heehee: Be sure to do a patch test though. I found out I was allergic to Veet as I was boarding a plane to Jamaica and my skin suddenly flared in a painful red rash :yikes: Although I've never had my legs waxed, I have considered it but not sure I could handle the table right now.

Hair removal products are a good suggestion, if you can reach down to your ankles, which most of us can't in the early weeks. If you're going for independence, as most of us are, I'd try the Giraffe. I read here once of someone who taped a regular disposable razor to a ruler. Desperate situations call for desperate measures. :heehee:

I opted for a woman's electric razor a few years ago. Works well for me because I don't have heavy hair growth on my legs. The thought of cuts on my leg freaks me out a bit since THR. Open skin...invitation to let the bad guys in.
Have a good one!

So today I made my first trip to the grocery store with my mom. She’s almost 80, and while she’s in great shape for her age, she’s an incredibly slow shopper, so I kept having to push her to hurry up. My leg (my whole body really) was definitely mad at me by the end. I’m home icing now and thoroughly exhausted, but it feels good to know that I can make little trips to the store.

The PT was here earlier and he gave me permission to start taking longer walks outside. He says my recovery is going great (yay) and barring any infection I should be back to full speed in no time. That’s music to my ears! Now its time to relax before the kids get home from school.

Good for you for the shopping trip! That stuff does wear you out post op and I kind of regard shopping as an art form--- love it.
I also hope you're doing ok with the kids--- I don't know how you do it.
We have my 17 month old grand daughter here for the weekend and she runs us ragged
But she puts her cute little skinny arms up in the air and I just have to pick her up and squeeze her.
She's about 24 lbs.
So glad you're allowed to walk more. It's good for the psyche to get out there and move
I feel like I've lost a lot of ground over all. I used to walk far distances and do the elliptical at the gym but the pain made me cut back.
Oh well slow and steady wins the race. And I mean slow...

Wow, that’s a huge accomplishment! I’m still scared of stores [emoji23]

I’m so thrilled how great this is going for you- your summer will be awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Okay, I think I pushed too hard too fast yesterday. I now have a shooting pain from my incision down to my knee when I try to lift my leg. Does this warrant a call to the doctor or is this just normal pain from overdoing it? Neither ice nor pain meds do anything to touch the pain. It’s not all the time - just when I move a certain way. Otherwise the rest of my leg and hip feel okay. Anyone been through this before?

Thanks @SarahBee and @Hoppy Nanny. I have my post-op checkup on Tuesday, so I figure if it’s still hurting I can mention it to my OS then. I try not to get too nervous about these things after what I’ve read here, but the fear of doing something to mess up the hip is ever present. I hope that goes away eventually.

Forgot to ask: should I take a break from walking today? Or should I still walk just to keep things loose even if I’m hurting?

Sounds like you have simply overdone it a bit. I agree with JennyLynne 100%, rest & ice today only. A few little bits of walking around the house will prevent you seizing up. It happens to us all at least once and probably much more than that. As nice as it was to enjoy an outing with your mom at the grocery store, it's payback time for all the standing waiting for your mom to browse a bit. :)

I find myself overdoing it be cause I'm feeling better and then I have pain because I overdid it. BTW I asked the PA on Thursday if I really screw up my surgery (ie dislocation or something else terrible) would I know it and she said absolutely.but she also said lots of layers of different tissues are healing and can cause pain. Agree with ice and rest hip sister! A minor setback! Think of where we where 17 short days ago!

I think a lot of it also has to do with the fact that I’m weaning off the heavy meds. I got down to four 10mg doses spaced out every 6 hours. I was feeling pretty good with that. Then I started cutting doses in half, one at a time. I’m now down to two 5mg doses (1pm and 7pm, and two 10mg doses (7am and 1am) and now the pain has increased a lot. Going to give myself 3-4 days to acclimate to this schedule and see if the pain diminishes. I hope it does because I really want to get off these meds.

Good Morning,
Hope you're feeling better today after some icing, rest and sleep. Definitely sounds like you landed in the ODIC (Over Did It Club) Sometimes it takes overdoing it a bit to figure out the best way to balance rest with activity in the early days and weeks of recovery.

Wishing you comfort and a great Sunday. Best of luck at your appt on Tuesday. Let us know how it goes.
@LAbabymama

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom