THR LABabyMama's Recovery Thread

LAbabymama

Country
United States United States
I've got a time for my surgery tomorrow -- I'm first up at 6:30am! Glad I got the first spot, hopefully less time to stress about everything. So far I've been fairly calm about it all, but today I'm definitely feeling that nervous energy. Reading about all your journeys has helped to calm the nerves a bit, so thank you all for being so open and honest about everything. Just spending my day finishing up last-minute tasks. Cooking meals for my husband and daughter, prepping food for the baby, collecting pillows, packing my hospital bag, paying last minute bills, tidying up the house, and starting my recovery thread! Look forward to checking in with you all post-surgery tomorrow. Until then...

You're going to do great! Try to relax and just b-r-e-a-t-h-e.
We'll be thinking of you, prayers / good thoughts on your behalf.
Post when you're able. We'll be here.
Hugs

Following are the Recovery Guidelines -

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Last edited:
So happy for you to be on the recovery side soon! We will be cheering you on and waiting to hear from you!!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Wishing you the best tomorrow and look forward to hearing from you when it's over!

Hi @LAbabymama, so glad you got an early time, it does indeed help with the nervousness. It's amazing just how quickly the time goes after you arrive, well at least it did for me and for some of my hippy friends on here and I hope you can say the same after tomorrow. Just think, you are on your way to much less] pain and more mobility. Will be looking for you on the other side...

Today is your last full day of pain! I'm sure you will make out just fine and be home before you know it. Sending best wishes your way.......

Greetings from the other side fellow hipsters! I’ve been moved to my room after a quick stay in recovery. Was feeling okay until the spinal started to wear off. Now I’m waiting for the Norco to kick in. And I’m icing to bridge the gap. Doc says the surgery went well. No side effects from the spinal. That was my biggest concern since I had a bad reaction the the epidural when my first was born. It was so bad I went natural for the second! Looking forward to getting out of bed and moving a bit. PT should be along this afternoon sometime. Also looking forward to a meal. Not sure when that will happen. Glad the waiting is behind me, now slow and steady wins the race!

Welcome to Recovery! :welome: Congrats on the new hip.
With surgery behind you now, you can take a breath and relax. I hope the meds kick in soon and they bring you something to eat. Wishing you lots of comfort as you begin to heal.
@LAbabymama

Welcome!!! So glad to see you here, was waiting all day! [emoji5]

Very happy to see they are responding to your pain control needs. Gotta find the right meds. For me, norco is a no go but oxy worked. They will find the right cocktail for you too!

Hope you have a restful night ((hugs))

Welcome to the brighter side of life. The first three days can be tough for some but good that you have ice. Nag them to get the meds to you in time and don’t let the physio push you if you are not ready. Hoping you have a peaceful recovery :)

Still having trouble getting the pain meds right. PT came by when my pain was at a 7. They got me up to pee, and boy was that tough. Trying oxycodone now, but it’s not doing the trick yet. Don’t think I’ll be getting much sleep tonight. Thanks to everyone for your well wishes. Wish I could fast forward a few days.

When I had breakthrough pain, they gave me some dilauded in my iv. Maybe you can get some iv meds on top of oral?

Gosh, I'm sorry to read that you are having breakthrough pain. I hope they have it figured out shortly and you get some good relief tonight! Nights can be soooo long if we are in pain, hugs!!
I agree about maybe getting something extra in your I.V. I had some crazy cocktail going on IV wise and I sure hope my Dr still believes in that for my second hip!

Hang in there friend.:console2:
Hope they get that pain cocktail right.
Rough stuff, as I remember.
Healing hugs:loveshwr:

I think the pain is finally better controlled. Oxycodone seems to be working and they gave me dilauded for breakthrough pain all night. The dilauded worked wonders. During the night I used a bedpan because it was too excruciating to get out of bed, but this morning I was feeling a little less pain, so I attempted the bedside commode again. Success! The pain was moderate and I was able to put more weight on the operated leg. When I got back into bed I decided to forgo the dilauded and just ice. Seems to be working pretty well.

I slept off and on in 2-3 hour stretches. Have my own room in a corner of the building, so it’s actually pretty quiet. And the lights all go off, so the only thing keeping me awake was the intermittent checks by the nurses. Feeling pretty groggy from the oxy (and itchy) so I’m going to sign off for now. Looking forward to continuing to move in the right direction!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LeonGirl
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom