THR LABabyMama's Recovery Thread

I've given many a sponge bath and folks are happy to have them! People on vents or with chest tubes--- your shower will be here before you know it.
Good ingenuity with the cane-- I'm really liking mine.
I close drawers with it, gesture with it, even gave my husband a love tap with it the other day when he annoyed me.
I just feel so much safer with it for now
I see myself using it for a long time to come. I have lots less hip pain but it just feel foreign to me right now but-- not even 2 weeks out!

@LAbabymama Yes, I meant if you google to give him some pictures.
But yeah, it stinks (and so do I!)
This gave me impression you would really love/prefer to have a shower and it's not a lot to ask for. All you really need is a waterproof film to cover your incision until you have clearance to get it wet. I had to endure sponge baths for awhile too but I was sure happy when I was given the choice to shower!
:bath:

Hi @LAbabymama
Sponge baths will suffice, but you will LOVE your first shower when you're ready.
I think at this point you could safely take one if you wrapped Saran Wrap around the area.
You need to be comfortable with it though and if your not....it can wait.
I hope you have a nice Tuesday!

Do what you feel like doing. You can keep clean just as well with a sponge bath - although a shower does feel nice.

The shower will feel so good, but it could tire you out at first, so it's probably a good idea to ask your husband to stand by, just in case you need a little help to get out, or to get dry.

When I first started showering, I was so wiped out that I needed a long rest afterwards.

Heed what Celle says, it's so true. Just standing long enough to rinse your hair can be exhausting. I loved my first shower this time (and last time!!!) I have a bath bench so am able to sit between soaping and rinsing, etc. But hubby came along this time with my body scrubber and washed my back. :)

Two weeks today! Feels like it's been a lot longer (and I'm sure my husband would agree). I've planned my shower for today when my husband can be around to help. I'm feeling pretty strong, so I may skip the shower chair and try to do it standing up. We have a hand-held sprayer and a built-in bench if I get tired.

My mom flies in tonight and is staying with us for 2 1/2 weeks. My husband goes back to work on Monday, so it'll be nice to have some extra help (in addition to the nanny). The hardest parts of the day are the mornings and the evenings when the nanny isn't around. In the mornings someone has to get the baby out of bed and fed, and since I am on strict "no lifting" rules, I won't be able to deal with baby for a while. My husband goes to work at 7am, so my mom will be able to help while she's here. Then when she's gone, the nanny will have to pick up the slack until I'm able to take over again. Of course I have no idea when that will be. I imagine it could be a couple of months yet. In the meantime we'll be paying an arm and a leg in overtime to the nanny.

I had my second PT session yesterday and the therapist added in some pretty tough exercises. I think I'll skip them when he's not around -- the range of motion stuff is great, but the strength building exercises feel like too much right now. And since I'm weaning off the meds, I was pretty sore after our session yesterday. Thankfully ice takes care of the pain. The therapist said I could start transitioning to the cane today. Good-bye walker! This morning I used the cane to make breakfast for the kids and do my morning "laps" around the house. Amazingly, I find I'm walking pretty well without any sort of limp (for a short time, of course). The only bummer is that my operative leg feels drastically longer than the other, so the PT warned me that I'm likely to develop some pretty bad back pain until it works itself out. I hope it settles eventually - not really looking forward to getting shoes with lifts. Though I guess it's a small price to pay to be rid of all the arthritis pain.

Feeling good about my recovery so far! Last night was the first night I had any sleep issues (probably because I've been decreasing the meds). I haven't felt any blues yet (hard to feel blue when my babies are so sweet and loving). And thankful to have this great resource to remind me that while recovery may be a marathon, the end result will be worth it.

Hi @LAbabymama
I think you'll be able to handle the shower standing up. Those early showers can be quite draining though. Nothing better than crashing in your recliner or favorite spot afterward feeling / smelling fresh and clean. It's the little things early on that give you such pleasure. Things we took for granted, until they became difficult or we couldn't do them at all.

Happy Two Week Anniversary! Glad to read your mom is coming to lend you a hand. I can't even imagine going through Recovery with a baby. It has to be difficult.

Please don't do anything in PT that hurts. If it hurts, STOP. It's your recovery to move through as you wish but keep the Big Tip from the Recovery Guidelines in mind -

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Wishing you a great day and rest of the week! :)

Happy anniversary! And shower-versary! ;)

Strength training seems a little overkill so early on. My PT asked me today if I wanted to try squats. I do not, and I did not, lol! Don't be shy about saying no to any PT exercise that you feel may cause more ouch than ahhhh.

While I am not taking pain killers during the day, I still pop one at bedtime. Not the best habit, but the only way for me to get any sort of sleep on my back.

Happy anniversary! And shower-versary! ;)

Strength training seems a little overkill so early on. My PT asked me today if I wanted to try squats. I do not, and I did not, lol! Don't be shy about saying no to any PT exercise that you feel may cause more ouch than ahhhh.

While I am not taking pain killers during the day, I still pop one at bedtime. Not the best habit, but the only way for me to get any sort of sleep on my back.
I’d do squats for you!! Alas I am still restricted for a couple weeks. No PT even offered yet.

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
I have no idea who would overdo it!:loll:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom