BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] LABabyMama's Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by LAbabymama, Apr 30, 2019.

1. LAbabymama

LAbabymama member

United States United States
    @JennyLynne I can’t believe he said that to you!! We women are definitely the stronger sex - I don’t care what anyone says (sorry to the men who are reading this). Well, I hope you have a very happy mother’s day anyway. My daughter said she wanted to give me a muffin for mother’s day. But since that involves dad going to the store, I don’t imagine it will happen. But sweet of her to think of me.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. SE Florida

SE Florida graduate

To both @JennyLynne and @LAbabymama, I wish you both a wonderful Mother's Day and you should both be served breakfast in bed and pampered the whole day. You've both been through a lot and deserve it!!! :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

Thanks @SE Florida!
    A friend invited us over for brunch- I am very grateful that I don’t have to plan and execute anything!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Like Like x 2
  4. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

Your daughter gets a gold star for intent! I do love a good muffin

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. LAbabymama

LAbabymama member

Thanks @SE Florida! Don’t know if you’re a mom, but you also deserve to be pampered. We all do after going through this surgery.

Enjoy your brunch @JennyLynne! I pulled the trigger on my PrimeNow breakfast order (with the hubby’s approval, of course). Trying to make life easier on all of us.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

That’s what I’m talking about! We have DoorDash’d so many times in the last 4 weeks... including tonight!

• Like Like x 1
  7. LAbabymama

LAbabymama member

@JennyLynne we’ve had unlucky experiences with both door dash and grub hub and now the hubby refuses to use them. :boohoo:Grub hub forgot to bring us part of our order and couldn’t rectify it. We just tried door dash on Thursday to order food for a funeral reception and the driver lied about picking up the food and never delivered the order. We were horrified. And all the company would do was refund our money. So that leaves Postmates and Uber Eats only. Hope they don’t lose our business too. Momma needs to be able to order take-out! :bored:

8. ahipgma

ahipgma junior member

Yay for less pain!
    2 reasons for not taking as much pain med. I'm a nurse, and horribly afraid of constipation. I have had pain tho that probably would have been less with more pain med. Oh well.
    Dont be afraid to scale back a little, what's the worst that could happen? With RA you have had to be brave about pain more than many and all the other stuff that comes with that! You will be fine.
    For me, too, is the ability to drive as soon as I can!
    Even after surgery we women are expected to suck it up and get back to it faster than men when it comes to running a home and caring for others.
    Pat yourself on the back for only being 10 days out and jumping right back in!!!!
    Happy Mothers Day and enjoy your time with your mom. She deserves kudos for raising a mom like you!

• Like Like x 1
  9. LAbabymama

LAbabymama member

Thanks @ahipgma. I’ve started scaling back on the meds drastically. I have been constipated and I’m over it. The discomfort has definitely increased (mostly tightness, not as much pain), but you’re right that Incan handle it. Definitely not as bad as before surgery.

I am a little frustrated because my operative leg feels a lot longer than the other one. It means I can’t really ditch the walker for a while because I’m having trouble putting my full weight on that leg without limping. But I’m sure it’s early and will improve eventually.

Hope you’re having a good mother’s day. I’m going to celebrate by enjoying a little extra rest today.

10. LAbabymama

LAbabymama member

Question here... I’m wondering how long you guys needed the arms on your toilet seat to help you get up? I’m finding my commode from the hospital is just too tall for me. Wondering if there’s another way I can help myself get up from the toilet or if I should purchase rails that attach to my existing toilet seat? Don’t want to spend a lot of money on something I’ll only use for a week or two...

11. SE Florida

SE Florida graduate

It sounds like the hospital gave you a portable bedside toilet? I didn't purchase rails but I had the room to put my walker in front of toilet and I used that instead, just for added security

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

I still would need something to help me up - but not necessarily rails. For instance, in my powder room, the vanity is next to the toilet and I can just use the counter for leverage. A walker, crutch or cane would work too.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. LAbabymama

LAbabymama member

I’ll try the walker, but so far I haven’t felt strong enough. Unfortunately there’s nothing next to my toilet for leverage. Maybe I can work with my PT on building strength to get up.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. ahipgma

ahipgma junior member

Maybe something in your house with a wide base of support to sit beside the toilet and what are you using to haul up with because of your RA?
    I have one of the smallest bathrooms ever so one side is the window sill and the other the sink, but do your hands work well? Maybe something to rest a hand and forearm on. I'd look around my house first
    For an improvisation?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. LAbabymama

LAbabymama member

Not sure I have anything that fits the bill. Prior to surgery I never had any problems getting up. But maybe the cane would work better than the walker...

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  16. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

I saw you post on another thread that you can't shower - do you know why that is? I was allowed to shower with staples from Day 1.

17. inthebeginning

inthebeginning graduate

I used my cane. I put the tip of the cane behind me against the corner of the wall/floor right behind me. Push and stand! A crutch or crutches would work that way as well. I used the cane on the opposite side of the hip and used the otherness hand as support against the wall.

18. LAbabymama

LAbabymama member

I’ll try that with the cane @inthebeginning. I know my husband would be happy to get rid of the commode.

@JennyLynne it’s not that I absolutely can’t shower, it’s just that my OS cautioned about getting the dressing wet, and then I had that drainage scare and didn’t want to take any chances. Now that the drainage has stopped, I just haven’t wanted to deal with sending my husband out for supplies to keep the dressing dry. I figure I’ll just keep doing the sponge baths and washing my hair in the sink until I get the staples out next Tuesday. But yeah, it stinks (and so do I!)

19. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    If your walker has brakes, that should work quite well. I am 6 weeks on Thursday and thinking about getting rid of the raised toilet seat. My bathroom is super small with a wall on either side of the toilet almost in an alcove. I think last time, I pushed up using my hands on the sides of the toilet seat.
    You really need to get your husband to step up and help you more. Not helping you get what you need to shower is really not okay. You could probably find what you need online and give him some pictures to show the clerk at the store.

20. LAbabymama

LAbabymama member

Thanks @Carriemay60. It’s not my husband’s fault — sorry if I’ve given the impression that he’s not helping. I never really asked/googled what I needed to take a shower and I never asked him to get anything, so it’s really my fault. But I don’t really mind doing sponge baths. Is that bad?

• Like Like x 1