BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] LABabyMama's Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by LAbabymama, Apr 30, 2019.

1. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

United States United States
    This is the best update!!!!!! Yay!!!
    There’s something about 3 weeks that seems to be a turning point.
    And it will only get better from here!

My doc never mentioned heavy lifting, only the restrictions on bending or twisting for 6 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Like Like x 3
  2. ahipgma

ahipgma member

Happy 3 weeks hip sister
    So happy to hear about your appointment
    Another milestone.
    And great to hear about your med taper
    Drove on some very short errands today and it was slow going but nice to be back behind the wheel.
    I felt lucky that my grand daughter now stands so when I pick her up I'm not going so far down. But I agree your hip would tell you when you're going too far
    But does your little one not weigh as much? My granddaughter is 24 lbs.
    So glad to hear your update, congrats :yes!:

• Like Like x 3
  3. LAbabymama

LAbabymama member

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! @ahipgma, happy 3 weeks to you too! It really isn't all that long ago that we were getting wheeled into the operating room, unsure of what lay ahead. And now here we are, slowly returning to our daily lives with less pain (well, half as much for you) and more to look forward to. It's encouraging to hear that you've been lifting your 24lb granddaughter. My daughter is between 17-18 lbs, and still not even sitting up, so I imagine it'll be a while before I can lift her from the ground. But maybe in another week I'll try carrying her and see how my hip responds. Right now I have enough help from my husband, mom, and nanny that I'm perfectly fine continuing to snuggle in bed with her and let others do the carrying. But once my mom leaves next week, I'm either going to have to bite the bullet or pay the nanny to come very early in the morning and help me.

I'm feeling rather blah today. Hope that I'm not coming down with something as my baby girl had a 102 degree fever last night and today. My husband and I had to get up in the middle of the night to give her medicine so she could sleep. Could be I'm just extra tired because of that. Could also be that I've been rapidly decreasing my oxy intake and maybe that's affecting my energy levels. I was looking forward to getting off the pills so I can drive, but then yesterday my PT told me that I shouldn't drive until 6 weeks when the hip precautions are lifted. I forgot to ask my doctor about this at my appointment yesterday, but I have to say I'm surprised. It's always been my understanding that with a LTHR you can resume driving within 2-3 weeks as long as you're off all the opioids. The PT says that I would break hip precautions (turn my leg inward) when I turn over my left shoulder to check my blind spot. Has anyone else heard this before? I think I prefer to ignore him and just be careful. I don't plan on doing a lot of driving before 6 weeks, but I would like to be able to run to the store or pick my daughter up from school on occasion.

I also am debating whether to adhere to the doctor's "no jaccuzis" rule. My husband and I love our time in the jacuzzi and I would be terribly sad to never be able to use one again. He points out that getting an infection would be way worse than never using a jacuzzi, and of course he's right, but I am still torn about what to do. I can't find anything online that supports his stringent recommendation. I figure I'll wait 6-12 months and see how I feel then.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. SE Florida

SE Florida graduate

• Like Like x 1
  5. ahipgma

ahipgma member

Went to PT today as outpt and the PT told me just to be careful b/c I had my right leg done and one of the few dislocations he ever saw was a RTHR getting the right leg kind of caught on the steering wheel as he levered himself into the driver's seat and out popped the hip. UGH!
    You better believe I got in oh, so carefully on the way home. But you're LTHR...
    One of the things I continually wonder about how they tell you about how you get your life back on one hand and scare you about hip precautions on the other
    What magically happens at 6 weeks ,three months ,whatever? The different time lines are so confusing.
    Sometimes it does get discouraging, but I remind myself I'm on a journey.
    And i can tell you my hip not done yet was like a toothache last night in bed while my new hip settled down with elevation and ice. Then there's ODIC, which I feel I do sometimes.
    Hope you and your baby feel better soon!
    Oh and I have a daughter with bladder issues that is a sure UTI when she sits in a hot tub, yep, every time. That's a tough one! But that's not the same as a nicely healed hip incision!?

• Like Like x 2
  6. LAbabymama

LAbabymama member

Hi @ahipgma - The baby's feeling better today, but now my husband and my mom are both sick. Oy! Should be a fun Memorial Day weekend.

I know what you mean about doctor and physical therapists scaring you with hip precautions. My doctor kept saying "be afraid" at my post-op checkup. Makes me wish I was able to have the anterior approach -- they don't have any precautions and it must be dreamy. I too was wondering what magically happens the day after six weeks that allows you to suddenly stop worrying about all the precautions. I've actually read that 3 months is the moment where you can truly breathe a sigh of relief -- apparently that's when the bone is sufficiently fused to the implant (so long as your bone heals properly). That's why some particularly conservative doctors keep hip precautions until 3 months. Can you imagine?

Regarding hot tubs, I've also read that any infection that you contract at any point after a hip replacement (even years later) can travel to the hip and infect the new joint. I know that hot tubs harbor a crazy amount of bacteria, which is why my doc doesn't like them, but I don't really want to live the rest of my life terrified that everything I do is going to result in an infection or a dislocation. I could get hit by a car just walking down the street, but I don't spend all my time worrying about that, do I? So how is this any different?

As for the ODIC, I've accept that I'm going to be a permanent member. I'm basically back to all my regular household duties (with the exception of things that require bending down low). Of course today I was alone with the baby and she had a big diaper blow out. She was on the ground, so I used the golfer's reach to pick her up and then I carried her to the changing table. Carrying her was not difficult at all, but boy was I nervous lifting her up. Still, I proved to myself that I can do it if I have to. And in a week when my mom leaves, I'm not going to have a choice.

Sometimes I think the speed of our recoveries depends solely on the amount of responsibilities placed on our shoulders. Those that return to work or household jobs soon after surgery are exhausted for sure, but they do it because they have to and they manage just fine.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. jwadds

jwadds member

Canada Canada
    @LAbabymama Truer words have never been said!

I asked about the 6 week vs 3 months hip precautions and the nurse said it’s up to the doctor. So some doctors are more conservative and it probably depends on the how invasive their procedure is.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ahipgma

ahipgma member

That all makes sense!!! God bless you for being back full throttle so soon but as you say its necessary so you do it.
    Will pray for strength and stamina for you in the days ahead.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SarahBee

SarahBee graduate

I had some restrictions even with the anterior approach. It always depends on the doctor. For sure they were not as onerous, but.... You would not have been able to pick your babe up with the golfer"s reach... That was a no no, which was tough because I used it so much pre op :snork:

• Like Like x 2
  10. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

Girlfriend, I really hear what you are saying!!! I’m sick and hubs is out of town and I’m just dealing!! (No excuse me while I got to my own thread to complain! )

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. jwadds

jwadds member

Canada Canada
    Wow... between @JennyLynne and @LAbabymama with all the responsibility you both had to take on with kids, work and illnesses I’m feeling I’ve had it so easy. I don’t have any help but I only have to look after myself! My hats off to you guys and all the moms out there who have surgery and hardly miss a beat. :cheers2:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. LAbabymama

LAbabymama member

Thanks @jwadds, but I don’t think anyone has it easy with this surgery. It’s just varying degrees of difficult. For example, I’d mentioned that my baby and my husband were sick. Right when they got over their illnesses, my mom and my oldest daughter caught it too! I’ve spent the last two days going from patient to caregiver for the entire family (which is why I haven’t been able to post much). Of course, @JennyLynne had it way harder - she had to take care of her sick family with two new hips, while she was incredibly sick herself! I’m hoping I stay healthy, but I don’t even think I’d know if I wasn’t. The symptoms of this illness are muscle aches and high fever (like the flu). I have muscle aches all the time. And I’d never know if I have a fever because I’m still taking Tylenol 3x daily. :nah:Life is funny sometimes. Gotta keep pushing through until the next challenge, right?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

It’s impossible to avoid the germs! Especially when the kids bring it home... it’s too late to save yourself once you realize it’s there!

Hope everyone is on the mend and you can spare yourself the worst of it!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. ahipgma

ahipgma member

hope all are feeling better, goodness what a time for a family epidemic.
    Women and moms are amazing to shoulder all that while recuperating.
    And happy Memorial Day to all who celebrate. To remember those who gave their lives that we can speak freely and make choices about our lives and our health!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  15. LAbabymama

LAbabymama member

I’ve never been this exhausted in my entire life. Is there a level above ODIC? Even after both my daughters were born I wasn’t this physically spent. Turns out my mom has pneumonia now. So I guess inviting your almost 80 year old mom to help out when you have two small children isn’t such a good idea after all. And since my doc doesn’t want me driving for six weeks, my dear husband spent the morning with my mom at urgent care while I called in a friend to help with the kids. Why did I chose today to stop my pain meds?? It’s 8pm here and I am ready to zonk out. Good night all. Here’s hoping the meds they gave my mom do the trick and we don’t have an ER visit in our future. So much for doing anything over the holiday weekend... :zzz:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. ahipgma

ahipgma member

Was just talking to my husband about my post OP activity level.
    I could do 10 things--- shop, clean exercise etc etc then I would take a break or start to feel tired.
    NOW-- 2 or three selected things and whoop--- gotta hit the couch and rest.
    Then I can get back up and do some more.
    So many reasons I feel for this but a few
    -- the surgery was an assault to the body and things are still healing inside that take up energy cycles.
    --I still have problems and conditions that this surgery did not heal.
    Arthritis elsewhere, balance problems from Menieres Disease etc and especially hip 2 (like thing one and thing two in dr Seuss) that hurts and still needs to be replaced. So dealing with that uses energy and so does being 63:swoon:.
    Pain makes you tired, let's face it.
    Expectations---
    Love this forum dont get me wrong but
    Really as a nurse I should have known
    They filet you like a fish and saw off a bone---what miracle occurs that people have no pain or discomfort after surgery
    That first couple of weeks was not pleasant. We are 3 1/2 weeks out only!
    I am glad I had the surgery! Will be glad to get the other one done ! But like many things in this life it's a mixed bag like the energy level thing--- will be worth it down the road but for right now accept it as part of the package and rest when you can. Your life with little ones makes anyone tired!!!! I was there once. And now an 80 year old with pneumonia may she recover quickly!
    So there's my Memorial Day rant LA dear!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. SE Florida

SE Florida graduate

Wow you hipster sisters @LAbabymama and @ahipgma, remember the THR progression chart that Layla sent to you showing what you should be doing at week 3?! :rotfl: Ummmm, I'm pretty sure you are both over week 8 on the activity chart so far! No wonder you're tired! And then add in 2 babies, illness, Mom with pneumonia and, and, and!!!! :tiredwheel: Hope you are able to get some rest and are able to sit back to enjoy the weekend! :martini:

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
  18. SarahBee

SarahBee graduate

Hope your mama is feeling better, @LAbabymama . And that you are getting some rest! :console2:

• Like Like x 2
  19. LAbabymama

LAbabymama member

Thanks for all your well wishes. My mom appears to be getting better with meds. Yay for small miracles. As predicted, I’m starting to feel under the weather, but so far nothing too bad. Also as predicted, our weekend was a bust - with the exception of our daily afternoon walk with the kids. I can make it two whole blocks now! Muscles still feeling pretty tight and I’m not sure if I should be pushing myself to walk further. My in home PT is over andmy doc doesn’t want me starting aquatic pt for another month, but I feel like I’m starting to stall on strength. I know it takes time, but I’d really like to get rid of this cane. In the mornings I’m usually strong enough to do without it, but by afternoon I’ve almost always done too much. @SE Florida I wish I could follow the activity progression, but it wasn’t possible this weekend. Not with a sick mom and two kids to entertain and feed. Trying to rest more today, but I’m getting tired of sitting all the time. Just can’t win. Definitely feeling those one month blues setting in. And it’s not all about the hip. Having a 10-month-old can also be an emotional drain. Looking forward to the day when we can all do fun things together out of this darn house!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. SE Florida

SE Florida graduate

@LAbabymama You will get there! Walking 2 blocks in less than 4 weeks is a huge milestone, way to go! Look at all of the hurdles you've had to overcome since your surgery! It took what seemed like forever for me to get rid of my walker to even use the cane. It's still so early in recovery for you but just a few short weeks from now, you'll be doing more than you can imagine right now....it's just hard waiting I know. It's easy to say but hard to do, just hang in there. We are always here for you no matter what mood or day. And I honestly was half joking about the progression chart.........I never even looked at it until I was about 5 weeks and then was I shocked! :flabber: Everyone is so different with recovery times but it's fun to read to see where I actually am and where I should be! Find time to take care of yourself, a little pampering is in order. :roseshwr:

• Like Like x 3