Country
United States United States
7 days out; L hip replacement performed 2/2/23, posterior approach, 58M US, NJ
Home now, rehabbing fitfully- L thigh/quad/ham swell major issue -

Surgery 2/2 @ Monmouth Medical Center Long Branch NJ – outstanding staff

• adm 715am
  • surgery 945am
  • postop noon-ish? I do not recall the dr in the or, let alone the procedure
In room by 2pm, blocks wore off, left thigh on fire. Ice, meds, didn’t help til am – couldn’t sleep, got maybe 2hrs total

2/3 am felt better, passed PT, discharged and out the door @5 with narcs

Oxy, aspirin and Ketorolac for 3 days- oxy became too much-
2/8: still in pain, almost all from swelling of quad and hamstring, including knee- little to no hip pain! Incision looks nasty- glue strip, so no stitches or staples. Major bruising
2/9: pain from swelling peaked yesterday, I can feel it diminishing. Tylenol and aspirin only now.

Home for a week so far- this is a solo rehab- its possible, not recommended. I’ve got visiting nurse coming 5-3-1 1st three weeks, very helpful;

Pooping is an issue! Don’t sleep on those stool softeners. 1st poop was 5 days out, not easy. More since, each time a little better.

Swelling is main issue- walking is possible, still on walker, cane on order. Stairs, yes, lots more in future.

Mood swings- weaning off oxy helping- appetite still not back 100%

Doable- but itll take time

Sounds like you are doing better. Today is 3 wks post op for me, also had posterior but right hip. Hardest part is trying to get comfortable. Sleeping, sitting no fun and not much else to do. I did find a medical supply store that rents chairlift recliners so I had one delivered yesterday, definitely helped with a little more comfort. I did have spinal fusion surgery in September so I am hoping it doesn't stall my hip replacement recovery. Who knows, maybe at 6 weeks some of these restrictions will be behind me. They say time flies I hope so. Take care and remember, laughter is the best medicine

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart and recovery!
It seems you're off to a very normal start and doing well on your own!

I will leave our Recovery Guidelines with best wishes! Please stop back often with updates. We'd love to follow your progress.

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi @asburymike
Just wondering how recovery was going and hoping you are taking things Slow and Steady.
:SUNsmile:

Welcome Mike
Hope you rest, ice and take it easy, these early days require it.
Get up, walk around a bit, get a good book or watch a show, hopefully you have family or friends nearby that can run errands for you or take you to a store if needed.
Keep in touch.

@Mojo333, @myglasshalffull, thanks!

I'm three weeks postop. Progressing nice and slow

Posterior, Left hip

Swelling went way down after 2wk mark. I think there's no hip pain, but aches n pains all over, all more than manageable

I stopped oxy after three days, just stopped Tylenol yesterday.

All in all, I'm pleasantly surprised. This is major surgery, and I walked, with a cane, 2 blocks to a bakery today, and 2 blocks home. I'm beat! But that Boston creme will sure help

This forum is great, a big help

Last edited:
Glad to read you're doing well! We're happy you like the forum. Thanks for taking part.
I walked, with a cane, 2 blocks to a bakery today, and 2 blocks home. I'm beat! But that Boston creme will sure help
:heehee: Sounds yummy.
Have a great day and rest of the week. Don't be shy about sharing progress. We love updates.

3 wk postop Dr visit today

He's happy with progress, my walk, I'm cleared to drive

Overall, so am I. For me to walk around Wegmans today, 3 wks off the table, blows my mind.

We agreed that postop PT is not mandatory, that walking and normal activities is enough

The insomnia is the last worst thing. Mood swings have subsided, but stress, anxiety (maybe depression?) are keeping me up at night. Mind's racing

I think mine is a fairly typical recovery, hope it continues to be

You had a major surgery 3 weeks ago and knowing that this is all going to proceed well and this will be "the cure " is certainly a normal postop anxiety.
You are doing just great.
As for as the Sleep thing, I won't depress you with my timeline...
Do make sure you check out the above articles...especially this one:

We agreed that post op PT is not mandatory, that walking and normal activities is enough
I like this.

Mood swings have subsided, but stress, anxiety (maybe depression?) are keeping me up at night. Mind's racing
Read Post Op Blues in the Recovery Guidelines. Happens to many and it will pass.
You're doing great!

Hello and Happy One Month Anniversary, asburymike!
Best wishes sleep soon improves and the blues melt away. All temporary, thankfully!
Have a nice day and end of the week. Stay in touch.
@asburymike

Thanks @Layla!

Yes, a month out. Night and day from 30 days ago, all positive

I'm very fortunate, having what amounts to a typical recovery. Posterior approach, so major swelling for 2 weeks. Bad reaction to oxy 3 days in, so flushed them and went Tylenol. Tougher road, but easier mentally

Cleared to drive at 3wks, holding onto a cart at Costco was such a thrill! Walking to a bakery 2 blocks away was unthinkable the day after op, 1st day home. Now I venture out without a cane. Daredevil, I know.

I've come around on my doc. Insecure bedside manner, little people skills, refusal to get me an ice machine for postop, no handicapped parking placard, no postop PT. BUT.... what amounts to toughlove is working. Get up, move more, resume daily activities asap at home is the way. At least for me.

Doing postop solo has been challenging, but not impossible. If you can get help, get it.

Thanks to all the posters and replies here. Really helps to hear your stories and experiences.

Hi asburymike, :wave:
I hope with the passing of another month you're enjoying even more progress.
Happy Two Month Anniversary and Happy April 2023!
@asburymike

Hi @Layla, thanks. Entering week 9 postop, I'm doing well, walking unassisted over 2 miles a day. Zero hip pain, aches n pains everywhere else! Totally manageable. I've been very fortunate. Had my final postop with surgeon, he's happy with progress and my gait.

Sleep is still elusive. I've found that my tolerance for caffeine is lower than ever before. One cup, I'm shaking. Everything in moderation (including moderation!)

My scar is a thin, fading red line. It's unreal

This has been a rough journey. I'm amazed at what the body is capable of. And I'm amazed at the kindness of strangers. Thank you all for the support and the kind reassuring words you've typed for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey @asburymike Jersey girl here, living in Rockland County NY. Also a LHR posterior approach. Petrified before surgery. Bonesmart really helped me build courage to schedule surgery. Afterwards, maybe a week or so of "why did I do this", mostly because I was afraid of dislocation. Once I realized it wasn't going to dislocate it was pretty much a piece of cake!
I'm going on 6 months post op and I rarely even think of the hip.
You sound like your doing really well. Glad to hear that. Summers right around the corner. Need to get in good shape to hit the beach & boardwalk!! Asbury Park rocks!

It is great to read of the progress you're making. Daily walks of 2+miles, no hip pain and receiving reassurance and a release from your surgeons care. I hope your sleep improves soon, then you should be golden!
Happy Wednesday!

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Sending best wishes for a great month of May. I hope you're doing well!
@asburymike

Good morning and thanks. 3 months, such a journey. The lines have begun to blur between postop pain and being 58! No hip pain, but aches and pains all over. Incision is fully healed, but some days is sore. I'm not overdoing anything, but...

Insomnia continues to be a real issue. I live at the beach, so I'm hoping warmer weather and a lot more sun will lead to more active days, and less restless nights

Hope all are well

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Lucky you...living at the beach! I hope the sunny more active days have led to better sleep at night.
If not, it will come. Enjoy the weekend!
@asburymike

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member