THR Kymamaw - Hip or knees first?

kymamaw

Country
United States United States
What's your opinion on this?
I have two knees that are extremely bone on bone and have been for years. Recently my right hip started acting up as well so I went to the OS. He says both hips are arthritic as well as the knees, which I knew. He insists that the hip has to be replaced first, and I understand the reasoning, but....
I feel awful having the hip fixed after hobbling around all these years on the bad knees. I am barely getting around now.
I guess my question is, has anyone experienced an issue like this? I know so many people have had different scenarios I thought this would be a good place to ask.
Should I try to get the knees done first? :shrug::beg::wave:

I was not in the same situation as you @kymamaw . I had bilateral hips done in 2003; the knees were 2012. But here is one thought - a hip replacement is easier from which to recover than a knee (or 2). That assumes you can walk and do your physical therapy religiously. However, if your knees are giving you significantly more difficulty, it might make more sense to do those first, especially if you are more likely to be able to walk in your recovery because the hips are not as bad. You might consider a bilateral knee replacement - it makes you embrace both of them at the same time!

Good luck making your decision. I don't envy you. Keep us posted.

@kymamaw - I have moved your post and NightQuilter's response to it from the Four Replacements thread to the Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area, because I think you'll receive more responses here.

But here is one thought - a hip replacement is easier from which to recover than a knee (or 2). That assumes you can walk and do your physical therapy religiously.
You don't need to do a lot of physical therapy after a hip replacement. Hips recover mostly by themselves, just with the normal activities of daily living.

It's true that recovery from a hip replacement is easier than recovery from a knee replacement, so I'd also be inclined to do it first.
TKR or THR: which is more difficult surgery for recovery?

My knees were done first but that was because my hips were not hurting at that time. However, in considering the options I would agree with your OS and have the hips done first. For me, the hip pain was worse at rest, sitting and definitely walking so if they were bad they would have slowed down my knee recoveries. I had good knee recoveries but they did involve more work and if my hips hurt it would have been hard to do some of the movements necessary to regain motion. In addition, for me at least, the minute surgery was over the god awful pain was gone and I could concentrate on recovery of the soft tissue and motion.

Saying all of the above, once you get through the recoveries you will be so happy to be able to regain a full life without pain. This is one thing I am grateful for every day when I move around. We are blessed to live in this time of such awesome options.

I'm having anterior THR on Feb. 6. I'm wondering if you had to get up and down from a sitting position in a certain way? Did you have to straighten your surgery leg and get up using your good leg?
I am bone on bone in both knees which makes it very painful and difficult to get up at all. So, after surgery, who knows.
I pray for your spirits to be lifted and that you have a good future with your new hip. Take care.

Could you please tell me how you were instructed to get up and down from a chair or toilet? I am having anterior THR on Feb. 6.

@kymamaw I notice we are surgery buddies! Both of us are having THR on the same day. :friends:
I've had one hip done, and I remember that the OT came in and observed me getting on and off the toilet before I was discharged. I can't recall what instruction took place. I'd been using a commode all night long so I felt like a pro. I think if you are worried about your knees or anything else just speak up about your concerns and let the PT or OT address them. They are trained to adapt activities to each patient's needs, that's their job. I do recall that I didn't have to put all my weight on one leg when getting up from a chair or toilet. I had my crutches or walker at hand at all times and had it in position before I made a move.

Thank you Stripey for the info. I hope you do as well with your second hip. I'm just going to roll with the flow and see what they say. I can make myself do anything if it means getting by without it getting more difficult. Take care and be well.

The nurses will show you how to get up ... a physical therapist will come to your room and show you all of that ... How to stand, how to climb stairs, how to walk with walker.

:goodpost: This is true, tell them your concerns about your knees and I'm sure they (The PT's on staff at the hospital) will give you some great pointers. For myself, for example, It was helpful for me to place a porta potty over my own commode and raise it very high so my knees weren't very bent.. it made it easier to stand back up and for me, it helped to keep the pressure off of my hands and wrist.

I also had anterior and had no restrictions after other than no bungee jumping. I think that is a dr’s standard line to make us smile. No one mentioned any special ways to stand up to me, whether from a chair or from the toilet. However, our toilet is an inch or two higher than most toilets so I found that a huge help and I didn’t need to get a raised seat. If you knees are that bad, you might find it a huge help to get some sort of raised toilet seat. I have OA in both knees, too, but thankfully they don’t hurt - just get very stiff after sitting - so I can see where getting up from a normal toilet seat could present a problem.

I agree with the others that getting your hip done first is probably a good idea since I’ve read hips are easier than knees. In a matter of months you will be healed enough to proceed with a knee or maybe both knees. I wish you well!

:hi: Hope your pain is managed well and everyone is being good to you.
Healing vibes coming your way!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties