Knee Infection* Kurt_H's Knee Infection

He also mentioned that I can change from IV antibiotics to oral tablets, Zyvoxid, the same thing in oral format so why do they do the IV then.
They do IV first, because it's important to get the antibiotics working in your system as quickly as possible and IV "hits the spot" faster than oral medication
In terms of bend looks like I can bend my spacer joint albeit only 20 degrees for now.
While you have the spacer in, there's no point in thinking about ROM. It's good that your knee can bend a little, because that could make it easier for you to move around, but don't expect (or try) to improve either flexion or extension until you have the new hardware in place.

Scar at 2 weeks Post Op 2 stage revision. Spacer in for 6 weeks.

Attachments

• FC539F62-41C2-4E88-B3CE-3C07D163C756.jpeg
    FC539F62-41C2-4E88-B3CE-3C07D163C756.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 234
I’m glad you’re home and you are on oral antibiotics. Hopefully you continue to do well and have your final surgery soon.

Week 3 - 4

Well its been now 3 weeks going into week 4 and I have some GOOD NEWS! I went for a check-up yesterday with my OS and looking at the blood results, he is happy to proceed with the 2nd phase of the surgery on the 28th November, which is exactly 6 weeks from original surgery. My CRP level has gone down from 17.9 to 9.5. The benchmark is 5 and below but he told me that anything in single digits is fine because there might be still quite a bit of inflammation. I will be doing further bloods on the 25th November again to confirm, but so far so good. The process has been quite quick for me not that I'm complaining but I just want to ensure that the infection is totally eradicated before the next op, although he did inform me that at time of surgery, once opened if the knee don't look good, then the spacer would remain. Very happy with this result so far!!!

Pain
I am totally off pain killers, but still experience quite a bit of stiffness and swelling.

Thoughts
I've taken this journey in its strides do far, but I just cant shake the idea that at any time I can have another infection. I spoke to one of the healthcare professionals and they told me that infection can happen though skin bites, dental procedures, skin abrasions, in grown toenails, not even mentioning in-hospital infections etc. etc. This is of course not a given, but a probability, but the fact that it can happen so easily is quite scary. There are millions of people having hip and knee replacements these days, mostly everyone sees excellent longevity and results from the procedure, so I guess my question is, is infection something that only certain people are prone to or just is just bad luck or is it that through vigilance one can reduce the risk to non-existent? I have a friend younger than me who had two knee replacements not at the same time, and he mentioned to me the other day that it was the best decision he made, no complications 100%. This is of course fantastic and one of the reasons I decided to go for the operation but reflecting back on getting an infection in year 2 after my replacement, I wonder if there could of been anything I could have done differently in order to prevent it from happening? Any thoughts on this?

Well before I drive myself nuts and dwell too much on this, my only strategy here on out is to focus on :
1) clearing infection, going for 2nd op and recovering
2) be extra vigilant and cautious with regards to my body and just taking good care of myself
3) Enjoy my mobility and capabilities as a result of my new knee.
4) Live LIFE!

Anyway thanks all, have a good week!

Kind regards,

Kurt

Excellent news on your results Kurt.

I always have it in the back of my mind about infection returning ... especially since I have Dentist next week to see about removing some roots. But I have convinced myself I cannot dwell on this! I must be positive.

The one thing I do is eat Greek yogurt daily and take a probiotic capsule to ward off the bad bacteria in my body. I don't know if it helps... but it sure can't hurt!

You have a good week too.

Last edited:
I’m so glad you’re coming along so well.

Your doctors sure did give you a lot to worry about, though, in regards to possible future infections. I’ve never had one but I’m sure if I did it would always be in the back my mind.

I’ll ask @Jamie to give her perspective.

Last edited:
I've taken this journey in its strides do far, but I just cant shake the idea that at any time I can have another infection. I spoke to one of the healthcare professionals and they told me that infection can happen though skin bites, dental procedures, skin abrasions, in grown toenails, not even mentioning in-hospital infections etc. etc. This is of course not a given, but a probability, but the fact that it can happen so easily is quite scary.
You've been through a rough time and naturally your fear of getting another infection is higher than most people experience.

Yes, joint infections can come from a number of sources, but try to remember that, even so, compared to the number of joint replacements done, the incidence of infection is very low.

There are millions of people having hip and knee replacements these days, mostly everyone sees excellent longevity and results from the procedure, so I guess my question is, is infection something that only certain people are prone to or just is just bad luck or is it that through vigilance one can reduce the risk to non-existent?
I think it's pure bad luck, not anything related to an individual. While people with diabetes are slightly more prone to infections most diabetics have joint replacements without contracting an infection.,

reflecting back on getting an infection in year 2 after my replacement, I wonder if there could of been anything I could have done differently in order to prevent it from happening? Any thoughts on this?
No, I don't think there's anything you could have done to prevent getting an infection - and also there's nothing you did wrong.

Celle is right that it's quite normal to be apprehensive once you've been thorough something as serious as dealing with a joint infection. You're experiencing things that most people feel until some time passes after your revision. Your surgeon sounds as though he completely understands all this. He's taken things slow with you to be sure you're doing well at each step and he's telling you about all the possibilities when he does the upcoming surgery. This is what you want. However.....

I spoke to one of the healthcare professionals and they told me that infection can happen though skin bites, dental procedures, skin abrasions, in grown toenails, not even mentioning in-hospital infections etc. etc.
I don't know who these "healthcare professionals" are, but unless they are experienced orthopedic professionals who routinely work with patients who have an infection, I'd take these comments with a huge grain of salt. Studies do not support the idea that joint infections come from the sources you've mentioned. The main way a person gets a joint infection is from bacteria that's introduced during surgery. It can lie dormant within biofilm that is present on the implant surface for quite a while. It can develop quickly or, like in your case, very slowly.

Please try not to worry about what might happen. As your surgeon said, you did nothing to cause the infection. It just happens sometimes. The important thing is you have a good surgeon who is helping get this turned around for you.

Thank you all for all the responses and support!!! So glad I've joined this site!! Jamie, Celle, Jockette.

Last edited by a moderator:
Week 5 - 7

Hi all,

Its been a while since I posted (13 Nov) and a lot has happened. Well this time went for my check up at orthopedic surgeon for bloods etc. My CRP levels had decreased from 9.5 to 5.9, which now according to my surgeon is a very good indicator that infection had been sorted. I was on track for my surgery on the 28th November. Again the 28th came and I had the second stage revision of right knee. The surgeon had been very happy with the results and x-rays shows that it it well aligned. I am now day 3 post op and already walking around with walker but can also fully weight bear. There had been a lot of work done on the quad area, so therefore still very painful, but I am able to bend 80 degrees thus far. The joint feels so much more stabler than temporary one. I am still IV antibiotics for now, until the cultures of blood come back, that's always a worry for me.

Don't get me wrong I am happy with the results and progress thus far and cant wait to get back home and really start recovering.

Pain was excruciating day 1 post op but has since subsided, currently about level 1-2 with pain medication, which I take basically every 4 - 6 hours.

Mentally I should be over the moon, but I find myself to be really demotivated, exhausted and depressed, even with the good news!! Why? I tend to keep a brave face but this ordeal has certainly taken its toll. I don't know how I would have felt should things have gone the opposite way.

I know I have much to be great full for but at the same time I hope to feel a bit better the next time I post.

Hope everyone is keeping well!

Kurt

Been following your thread you have been thru so much, so 3 days post op of course your thoughts will be all over the place and pain doesn't help to improve ones moods but you will get there every day will bring small achievements just try and keep a positive aattitude as this will really help your recovery.
Sending virtual hugs xx

@Kurt_H Just read through your entire thread / ordeal. For all that you have been through, I can understand being a bit overwhelmed / and depressed. I suspect that you have been through the worst part of all this.
From now on you can focus on recovery.
Hang in there brother!
Rick

Hi Kurt, great news that your numbers continued improving and you were cleared for stage 2. Glad you're on the other side! It really is amazing how unstable that spacer is. Now that you're weight bearing, you're on your way to getting your life back.
I had so many set backs and dark days during my months long ordeal, but am beginning to pick up where I left off before that nasty infection set in.

Chin up, you got this!

Congratulations on the second stage revision, Kurt.

I'm not surprised you're feeling demoralized, exhausted, and depressed. You and your knee have been through a lot this year. It's enough to knock anyone back.

You may feel a little better once you're home again, back in your own surroundings, and with a bit more control over your days.

Don't forget to pamper yourself, as well as your knee.

Hi @Kurt_H , I just read your thread and hope you are doing well. The infection and revisions are a challenge and truly a test for those who go through it. Keep up with your positive outlooks :)

@Kurt_H I think we tend to underestimate the toxic impact of anesthesia, inflammatory proteins, blood loss, opiate/pain killers, and long term antibiotics, on our brains. Mood changes, loss of attention span, sleep disturbances, and lethargy are, I think, the consequences of the massive physiological stress our bodies have sustained during treatment and recovery. I'm only now finding some normalization of my sleep patterns - over a year after my multiple surgeries. Things will get better.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back