THR Kritterkiddo's THR Recovery

Kritterkiddo

Country
United States United States
Hi, I had my LTHR on 10/26, but I just joined this site so I missed being on the list.
From what I have read here, I am trying to stay on a consistent schedule, which is like a balancing act, of ice, compression, elevation, PT, meds, lots of water, and rest. A few days ago I left my compression socks off and did some stuff around the house, and saw that swelling just progress down my knee! Made a believer out of me!!

How are you doing this weekend?

All the best!

Welcome to BoneSmart! I'm glad you found us.

As you can see, I've started a recovery thread for you and moved your first post here. This way, more of our members will see your story and be able to respond. I've added a signature with your LTHR information. If you've had other joint surgeries, please let us know what and the date so we can add them to your signature. Also, please let me know if you'd like a different title for your thread.

Glad you've been reading through our site. Following BoneSmart's recovery guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind we are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other surgeries:

R MCL/ACL wi staple (1970s)
R TPFX 7 screws & plate (2012)

Last edited:
:welome:To the healing side, glad you've joined us. Lots of great folks here and we've all shared pretty similar ups and downs even though all recoveries are different.

Hopefully you didn't do too much around the house, you're not quite 2 weeks out from surgery and should be resting, icing, elevating and small walks to the kitchen/bathroom and back, etc. Hope you're feeling ok this evening.

Thank you!
Today is day ten of no OA hip pain!!
Walking after surgery felt so good because I was able to move & think about something other than pain. Heel slides make my leg so happy to be able to move without that inevitable burn.
Excepting my socks I can do everything pretty well and I am very cautious. My husband is in charge of socks!
Our house was already set up for this recovery cuz our bathroom is a wetroom, no tub, no shower step, just walk in & get wet. We'd had it done after staying in a handicap hotel room. We loved the simplicity & ease of function. Who knew how handy it would be. And so easy to clean.
PT has come 4 times. No bridges or leg lifts !!
Yesterday I was allowed to use a cane, tho I use the walker if I need to carry stuff in the basket.
The PT exercises feel wonderful.
I am on baby aspirin, Meloxican, Oxy, and Tylenol per a daily schedule from my surgeon. I have been able to cut the Oxy in half, plus reduced the number per day. Stool softeners are one daily and I am regular.
Aids are the walker, cane, grabber, A rigid leg lift, shower chair, spirometer, lots of floor lights that go on when I get up at night. Plus friends who pick up things if they happen to be going out.
I really feel blessed.
Two things I wanted to mention:
Before surgery I researched how to get about after surgery. And I practiced. So I was ready to slide the operated foot forward when rising! One side-effect is the hip stopped hurting a smidge, a very tiny smidge!
And I got our eight feral cats used to being fed with a grabber. They loved it! I was no longer swooping down with the dishes, tripping & stumbling in pain among them!!
Thanks for listening.

Welcome!
We do find ways to adapt to our "new normal" don't we?
I used a kitchen tongs to pick stuff up off the floor, seemed like I dropped more stuff than usual after my surgery. I have a wonderful partner and he's seen me through the hip and a broken ankle surgery. Don't know how I would have made it w/o him. Those of us who have husbands, wives/ partners that are supportive are so fortunate.
Keep posting and let us know how it's all going!

Wow you are really doing well. I’m glad a can bend down now, because I must have lost a bag of dry cat food from losing the grip on the bowl lol with my grabber.

Welcome!
We do find ways to adapt to our "new normal" don't we?
I used a kitchen tongs to pick stuff up off the floor, seemed like I dropped more stuff than usual after my surgery. I have a wonderful partner and he's seen me through the hip and a broken ankle surgery. Don't know how I would have made it w/o him. Those of us who have husbands, wives/ partners that are supportive are so fortunate.
Keep posting and let us know how it's all going!
Thanks, yes knowing to accept that new normal is the key!

Wow you are really doing well. I’m glad a can bend down now, because I must have lost a bag of dry cat food from losing the grip on the bowl lol with my grabber.
Thanks, glad it was dry food & not honey!!
Yesterday when placing a dish with yummy canned food in front of one of the ferals my grip on the gripper relaxed and down fell the dish and that cat was not upset.
Must keep a firm grip on the grabber.
I am so grateful that I can be patient and careful. Pain used to just make me swear!!
I wonder when I will be able to put on my own socks.
11/9 is my PO appointment.

I have my follow up on 11/9 too

I sopped wearing socks a few years ago, they aways slip down in my sneakers, so I just stopped wearing them. lol

I have my follow up on 11/9 too

I stopped wearing socks a few years ago, they always slip down in my sneakers, so I just stopped wearing them. lol
No socks!? Amazing!
I wonder if we see our surgeon or the PA at this visit.

No pain is the true miracle of a new hip!! I had years of “back” pain that I now know was my hip. I try to keep reminding myself of that pain when I’m frustrated with post op restrictions and fatigue, etc. sounds like you are well on your way to a more comfortable and active life. Take it slow and enjoy!

It’s the PA for me.

Hi,
Sounds like things are going well! I am just a little behind you @ 5days with the new hip. No major pain but little twinges/ throbbing today. I too am trying to cut down on the oxy as yesterday i had no pain and just felt druggy. Good luck and hope things continue to progress positively.

Ah day 5 was great for me bcuz I felt so good!!
However, what do I know about meds. The last two days I not only took 1/2 doses of Oxy, I took fewer Tylenol, too. Last night I felt much discomfort in my hip joint and so today I decided to return to the recommended schedule (still 1/2 Oxy) because it was working well.
Good luck with Day 6!!!
We only get one chance to heal.

Surgery was 10/26, is today Day 10 or Day 11?
Reading another post reminded me about an amusing event in the hospital I thought I'd share.
One of my cats, Pi, is indoor/outdoor. He's a big dog-like stray who I think was dumped near us & adopted me. Our nightly 2 yr routine has been me in the lazyboy wi him dozing pressed against my calves. As OA pain arose I'd shift and Pi would wiggle to stay attached against my calf.
Fast forward to PO, i am laying in my comfy hospital bed wi those lower leg compression cuffs. As I dozed, every time they filled wi air I thought it was Pi shifting position against my calves!!
(So, it it day 10 or Day 11?!!)

Should be day 11 by my count. Love your kitty story! :kitty:

Cool kitty emoji!! Where do you find them??
Thx for doing the math!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Denton1224
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom