THR Kristina’s LTHR Journey

kstoural73

Country
United States United States
I’m 9 days post-op today! Doing pretty good physically. Mentally I’m a little down. Although I always struggle on the 4th of July. It’s just a weird holiday for me and makes me feel lonely. So being post-op just intensifies that feeling.
However, I am very hopeful about my recovery. I am off the walker, have been for about 3 days now. I use the cane about 25% of the time inside. I’m walking aid-free for the most part. I have not tried to get in my car yet. It’s a tall SUV and I’m short (5’3”) so I’m not sure if I can hoist myself up there and get out without putting too much pressure on my hip. But I’m going to try as I really want to gain more independence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:welome: @kstoural73

It sounds like you’re doing really well in your recovery! :flwrysmile:

A moderator will be around soon to give you more information about what to expect and provide advice about your journey.

Get the small sturdy stool to aid getting in and out of the SUV. If you can not get in easy it will not be easy getting out!
If you put long loops on the stool legs( if you do have someone to place and remove the stool) you can pull the stool in and place where you need it.

I am tall and my problem was just opposite , getting and out of a low car.....

Thank you very much! Nice to have a forum where other people are going through the same thing.

I have an SUV and am 5’3” too. I lowered the seat as far down as it would go and moved the seat as far back as it would go. Then I lean back into the opening and use my unoperated leg to help me get in backward. When I’m in the seat I slowly turn facing front keeping both legs together and when in I move the seat forward. I leave it low though. I can still see well enough. To get out I reverse everything. Once you get the hang of it it’s not too bad.

@kstoural73 hello and welcome!! We share the same surgery date, and I think you are a day or two ahead of me in the walking department. I'm sorry you are feeling a little down. Ironically this isn't my favorite holiday either. But we are well into our recovery, now aren't we? And that is a good thing.. take care :cheers:

Thank you Cricket! Yes, it’s so great to be on this side of surgery. Each day is getting better. My goal is to be able to walk my 85 lb husky by the end of July. He pulls sometimes so I haven’t been able to walk him since January because any sudden jerking was so painful. I was his main caretaker so it’s been hard on both of us and I’m really looking forward to getting things back to normal with him.
auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20190705_f4a91e4687d7d3857df992b83833f99c.jpg

Beautiful Husky! I bet he does pull..:loll: I ws just saying that to my husband just this evening. Every tug or pull or twist sure affects an arthritic hip! My dog is a large one, too. a 96 pound yellow lab.. lucky for me he doesn't pull, mainly because he's older and walks s-l-o-w-l-y.. I miss our walks, too. Terribly.

Hello,
Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
I'm sorry you're feeling a little blue, hopefully with the holiday now behind us you'll feel less lonely. You may have a touch of the Post Op Blues also which is fairly common. You can read about it below in the Recovery Guidelines. It sounds like you're doing very well otherwise and I'll bet you'll be back out on walks with your beautiful furry companion in no time.

Hopefully you'll stop by again soon. You'll find an abundance of support here as you move through recovery.
Wishing you comfort on the journey!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @kstoural73

Last edited:
:wave:and welcome to the forum!
Lots of great folks here that have "walked in your shoes" and getting the scoop from those who know was invaluable to me during my recovery.
Your big baby is beautiful but I do imagine he would like to pull you about...:unsure:
You sound like you are doing very well and this newcomer hip will definitely get you back to a happy healthy life. Main rule is No Falling Down.:no-fin:
Hope you have a great day and weekend. :flwrysmile:

@Kstoural173, my THR was four days before you, June 30. You have quite an inspiring goal! He is a gorgeous boy. My PT urged me off my walker quickly so I’m using the cane too. When I’m really sore the walker’s a help. I would love to walk my dogs too, they are Bedlington Terriers, only 17 and 21 lbs but pull and zigzag in front of me. (I was not a star trainer!) I’m glad it’s summer and I can hang out on the deck with them in the back yard. They are such good company. I fantasize about how great it would be to take them around the block but pretty sure it would be a disaster.

Welcome to the forum, it’s helping me in my feelings of isolation. Thanks for sharing a photo of your big boy (and a beautiful forest)! May he be a helpful carrot in your recovery!
Robin

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well.
Please leave an update if you have time while on the forum, we'd love to read about your progress.
Wondering if you're enjoying walks with your dog yet? He looks big enough to ride if you get tired. :heehee:
Hope your Summer is going well. :wave:
@kstoural73

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks