BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Know a good OS in Philadelphia?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by BeBe, Oct 17, 2017.

1. BeBe

BeBe

United States United States
    Hi all
    I've been lurking for a couple weeks and finally received my email link to join up with you all.
    Can't believe I am having to have this surgery but ole man OA has a grip on me and this is the first step forward. I am an old RN and frankly scared to death.
    Tomorrow I go in for a follow up appt because I've developed a weird cough for about 8 wks now. Kind of breathless when I walk and talk - not good a week out from surgery.
    I am reading all of the info here and trying to get my house in order which is super difficult when your hobbled. Guess you all know that...
    Anyway this is such a great place for all of us and wanted to say hello and thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. skigirl

skigirl SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

The weeks before surgery are always the most tense. As a nurse, I am sure you worry more than the rest of us! I will give you the link to the thread about getting your house in order. Just relax, nothing is totally necessary, you will be so relieved when the surgery is finished.
    Helpful Apps for BoneSmarties
    New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing hip recoveries

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. GrannyC

GrannyC

If it is any comfort at all, most of us were apprehensive and nervous before our surgery. However, I can assure you that it probably isn't as bad as you imagined. At least for me it wasn't. The doctors and nurses give you the right paid meds to keep the pain under control and your recovery starts almost immediately. By the end of the first week, you can actually look back and see how far you've come already.

Being on this forum and doing a lot of reading - both in the library they provide plus reading others threads in the preop and recovery forums is a tremendous help to give you an idea of what you might expect. I hope you cough turns out to me nothing much and that you can still go ahead with the surgery as planned. Waiting is the worst part. Once it is all over, getting rid of all that OA pain is absolutely fantastic!! Be sure to keep us posted and be sure to ask any questions you might have as I'm sure there is someone who can give you an answer. I wish you all the best.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BeBe

BeBe

Thank you Skigirl and GrannyC for the info and encouraging words.
    I just got back from a long day of getting to the bottom of my never ending cough and breathlessness on exertion that has been grieving me for weeks. Dr. initially thought allergies, but I am not really allergic to anything except morphine. Today he says asthmatic bronchitis. Had a steroid shot, a breathing treatment, then inhalers and a course of oral steroids since he wants this cleared by next weeks surgery date.
    Since I don't feel sick except there is a definite breathing issue. And OS insists on general anesthesia for the anterior approach.
    I am fearful of not getting adequate pain control as I am apparently not getting morphine or derivatives.
    My sister has had both hips and a knee replaced and she says get a recliner ;) and ice.

5. MammaT

MammaT

I invested in a lift recliner prior to my lthr and loved it. It is where I spent most of my time post surgery. Since I live alone I gave a great deal of thought to where I placed the things I use a lot, got disposable plates etc and had stuff out on table, etc at waist level. I also got a tray to put on walker so I could put meals on there and take from kitchen back to recliner. While it was tough doing those things while hobbled it made things easier for me in recovery. Hang in there!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

6. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I say your sister knows. Some say recliner wasn't needed for them. I still love mine.
    Hope all goes well for you.:)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  7. Cas

Cas

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi hope the cough is getting better. I too got a riser recliner and still find it useful even now. This is a brill forum and even if you think you have silly questions don't be worried all those questions are'nt silly we all have had them LOL. I didn't use a walker so just got a good shoulder bag to carry things around in from room to room such as glasses, phone, even sandwich! After surgery ice, rest,elevate - they work wonders. Looking forward to see how well your op and recovery goes. Keep us posted.

8. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Recliners are nice but I would not invest in one at this stage. I got along without one post op both hips. Lots of pillows in bed works fine.
    I can't take morphine either. There are plenty of alternatives. Just work with staff to get your own pain management cocktail just right before you go home.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. kattyaz

kattyaz

I have a recliner and I love it. My husband has the reclining couch. I imagine I could sleep here if needed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BeBe

BeBe

Thanks for the comments all, the cough is slightly better since I started the inhaler. But I can tell when it's time to use it. The oral prednisone helps since I'm off all pain meds now not sure if it does much for my lungs.
    My DH is going to build a raised platform for my MIL's old short recliner and we will see how that goes.
    I'm ordering some grabbers and shoehorns and sock pullers gadgets from amazon. And a bed wedge as my pillows are not up to elevating legs as high as I need.
    The hospital is ordering a wheeled walker for me since they didn't want me using a regular one. I have a shower chair and commode and wheelchair from MIL.
    What other gadgetry is necessary? My surgery is next wed, DC Friday ? And My DH goes back to work Monday so I will be alone. Hopefully will be fine.
    Martha's I see you are two days a head of me! Let's hold hands K?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. BeBe

BeBe

Sorry (spell check) @kattyaz ! And @Jona7 !hope I'm doing that correctly. This forum has helped me so much the past few weeks! Thanks everyone

12. Mscant

Mscant

@BeBe, try not to worry too much. A lot of us have an adversion to morphine. It makes me throw up every time and I have to insist they take it away. There are lots of pain killers than can work for you. Some will probably have side effects, but most of those are addressed in the document on file about pain relief.

Smart to get prepared with all the gadgets. I had a recliner before my first joint surgery, and it was very helpful. I found it very hard to stay in bed propped up all day. And you still have to get to the bathroom and the kitchen too!

I had my right hip replaced on 10/3. I’m past the really painful stage and have moved on to feeling more achy. Ice and your pain meds will be your best friends. I have iced several times everyday since 10/3, day and night. I promise you it will help. I’m sitting on an ice pack now!

Hope your breathing problems clear quickly. We’ll be waiting for you on this side once your surgery is over. You’ll have questions and we will be here to try and help you!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

13. kattyaz

kattyaz

Two more days for me. I have all my post op meds, and tomorrow I will make final preparation for Monday surgery. I wish you the best and we can compare notes on the other side.
    My husband works from home so I am lucky in that area.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Gone again

Gone again

I pretty much lived in the recliner,it's just a regular recliner. I picked up three firm pillows. Your going to want to prop up that leg most of the time. It really helps. 2 cups rubbing alcohol to 4 cups water in large doubled freezer bags.through them in freezer. I made 6 of them. Cheep and work great.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. BeBe

BeBe

Oh @Mscant I hear you about the ice- I've been icing for months now at night. Today I am in a lot of pain even the prednisone isn't helping. Just took my last dose. Guess I will try some Tylenol tomorrow am.
    @kattyaz rest well tonight and we will catch-up in a few days
    @goneagain that must be what these gel pack I picked up at the grocery are. They stay frozen all night. Hope the hospital has these -

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. BoyMom

BoyMom

Tomorrow's the big day...best of luck @BeBe !

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

17. kattyaz

kattyaz

@BeBe all the best to you for successful outcomes. I was amazed how fast it went and hope the same for you!:cheers:

18. BeBe

BeBe

I'm still on the dark side :sad: we got to the hospital at 5am for 7 am surgery and I was all prepped
    IV, meds, breathing tx nebulizer, me coughing the whole time
    Then anesthesiologist came and after 30 minutes of discussion between OS and A, they decided we had to wait because of my coughing, asthmatic bronchitis issue
    So I am back home
    Since I did not sleep last night due to anxiety and hip pain and the pre-op mess they gave me put me to sleep!
    I had called the OS about my cough issue on Monday. He had me see my regular doc for clearance again on Tuesday, he changed the inhaler and gave me cough pills and checked my breathing capacity and said you are good for surgery and he notified the OS but when they saw me in pre-op it was a no go.

19. jaydub63

jaydub63

@BeBe I hope your cough resolves quickly now and you can be rescheduled in the near future. I imagine you are very disappointed right now.

20. kattyaz

kattyaz

How disappointed you must be, but you probably will heal better if you don’t have other complications
    Wishing you a speedy recovery.