'knocking' of replaced hip

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismental

Hello, my 80 year old father had a hip head and neck replacement last year folowing a fall. Straight away he thought there was instability as there was a painful knocking feeling on every step. When I have gently tractioned his leg there is a feeling of sliding before there is stability again (Similar to when he walks). He has shooting pain down the side of his leg which is worse at night and pain around the hip area and outer upper quadriceps. He has been to see his doctor who doesn't think the hip is a problem. He had an epidural and muscle injections both of which seemed to make things worse and increase reliance on using a crutch. Can there be problems with how the replacement attaches to the bone? Can there be surgical reasons for this slippage and knocking? Thanks in advance for any help at all, as I've not been able to shed any light so far.

Your father underwent hemiarthroplasty (or partial hip replacement), rather than total hip replacement, then? I don't have any experience with that procedure, so don't feel comfortable commenting. I'll tag Josephine for you. I think she may need to know more specifically how long it has been since your father's surgery.

You haven't actually said when he had this done. Makes a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads