TKR Knock Knee

Yolandamamula

Country
United States United States
I had an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon today. Apparently, my xray showed a knock knee deformity, which is probably from the arthritis. The surgeon told me that only about 10 percent of knee replacement patients have a knock knee deformity and that a replacement surgery for this deformity runs a higher risk of nerve damage that could result in foot drop. Are there any other "knock knees" out there who have had replacements? Has nerve damage been a problem? The wait for surgery is over a year, so I have plenty of time to weigh my options. I received cortisone injections which, hopefully, will buy me some time to strengthen the area. But I am concerned that surgery could leave me worse off.

I am also wonder whether the knock knees may be a structural deformity I have had in a relatively mild form all my life. I was severely pidgeon toed as a child and never grew out of that. If I am not paying attention, I still in-toe. Perhaps this has something to do with knock knees.

Would a second opinion be in order>

Thank you so much,

Yolanda

Helo @Yolandamamula

While you may have a slight tendency to be knock-kneed, this has been made worse by your arthritis.

It can easily be rectified during knee replacement surgery - and it is quite common, with one person in ten who have a knee replacement being affected.

Your surgeon is legally required to warn you about the possibility of complications, including nerve damage, but actually that complication is pretty rare. It's only a possibility, not a probability. Don't let it put you off having the surgery.

My SIL was knock kneed before her BTKR's, and is slightly less so now. She had hers done at about age 72, and has said nothing about nerve damage. In fact, she took up rock climbing with a grandson, and we have a video of her flying on a trapeze at the climbing gym at 75! She golfs with her husband, walks daily, gardens, keeps chickens and fights foxes, and just generally is very energetic and active.

I have a knock knee issue and very successful surgery in June. No nerve damage. Now, however, my "good" knee hurts.

I too had knock knees due to the arthritis, left tkr two years ago, right tkr 10 weeks ago. Looks like the issue has been corrected, and no issues with nerve damage etc. All on track for a great recovery and active lifestyle again Best thing I’ve ever done.

Hi, I am having a TKR on my rt side October 2. I am 84 and had a rt hip replacement and 3 revisions following to correct it. Now arthritis has taken my knee inward and is fighting with the hip replacement. I hadn't heard about nerve damage possibility but I'm not surprised. They have to move so much around. But I see my surgeon tomorrow and I will certainly ask. By the way, my bone on bone in the rt knee doesn't hurt because the knee has turned the other way and the bones don't rub together. But my knee that is not knock kneed, my left. is very painful because the bones do rub together. That one will be next.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom