Kneeling after Knee replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiberlady

graduate
Country
United States United States
I have been reading through a lot of the threads and some say that they actually kneel without problems, four people that I work with have had knee replacements and they said they were told they could never knell again. So what is the verdict on this? Can you or can't you! Does it depend on what kind of knee was put in? :what:

I asked OS about this and he said it would feel strange and possibly uncomfortable so to leave it for year if possible. I'd like to know how others have found it too?

Just from what I am have here, not from experience, haven't had tkr's yet, but its seems to be 50/50, some cannot tolerate it, and some can.
I think Jamie states that she can and does kneel. May she can share with you her thoughts.
Others names are escaping me at the moment.
I know Josephine, states she finds it difficult to kneel.
So hopefully others will stop by with their experiences.

I agree. Some folks find that they are able to kneel after their knee replacements and others cannot. Best way is to try it. Start by trying to kneel on the bed or sofa with a very soft pillow. Then progress to a more substantial surface. Some folks are gardening or doing yoga with knee pads. Some other folks have to use a chair or bench. It depends on the person.

four people that I work with have had knee replacements and they said they were told they could never knell again
Well, if they don't attempt to because the surgeon told them they wouldn't be able to, that's what's known as a self fulfilling prophecy, don't you think? I'm not impressed by these chaps who say 'never'. The only 'never' I subscribe to is 'never' deciding it's impossible until you've actually tried it! :wink:

I find it too uncomfortable to put pressure on the kneecap. My surgeon told me that because of the resurfacing of the underneath side of the kneecap, and the addition of the "button" that the kneecap Is now a bit thinner than it was pre surgery. He recommended that when we kneel, we put the pressure just below the knee right at the top of the tibia Instead of dead on the kneecap.

I tried that, and it felt much better!

I like your answer Josephine, guess I will have to wait to find out just how it feels. I can't imagine that it would feel as horrible as it does now.

When you do try make sure its not forced. I was told to use a pillow and its ok. Take care. Tashia

I asked OS about this and he said it would feel strange and possibly uncomfortable so to leave it for year if possible. I'd like to know how others have found it too?
I think this is about right. It feels gross to start with, so maybe one tends not to do it. Josephine's self fulfilling prophecy again.

I suspect it's perfectly possible if you work at it. I don't because I don't really care that much.

I haven't tried it on a hard surface/bare floor, but it's OK on a mat.(Not great, but OK.) As Titianlady/Toni said, I try to put the pressure more on the top of my shin, rather than on the kneecap itself.

I have been reading through a lot of the threads and some say that they actually kneel without problems, four people that I work with have had knee replacements and they said they were told they could never knell again. So what is the verdict on this? Can you or can't you! Does it depend on what kind of knee was put in? :what:
Some have been told that they can never kneel again. My OS said that I could kneel after six months---it was about the button that is put into the patella, I guess.

To be honest, I do not kneel anyway, as it feels really weird. Not kneeling doesn't really bother me all that much, though.

"the shin bone is connected to the knee bone and the knee bone is......who cares.....they'll all connected to the brain thingy....and the brain says..."nope...you can't do it.....no way, no how" I'm in charge and I'm telling you, after all that pounding and hammering and stuff.... there is no way I'm allowing it. I don't care if you look like a jerk trying to get off the floor......you figure it out without puttin that knee down..... and if you don't listen to me......I'm gonna bring back "afraid of the dark"!!

While I can kneel and have, it does feel a bit odd. So, if I'm bathing my dogs in the tub or having to do something on my knees, I have a rubber cushion that's used for gardening.

Really, I had to figure it out anyway, since when I show my dogs, I have to kneel to stack them.

Mine still feel gross and I can tell it's where there is still residual swelling - the kind that will probably be with me up to a year. I hope I don't have any problems with kneeling too much longer or will have to find one of those mats mentioned earlier. The floors and baseboards are way past due for a good scrubbing that can only be done on hands and knees! (Not to mention the tile floor I want to install on the back porch.)

Tracey I know what you mean, there are so many things that I need, want to do that requires kneeling. You will have to keep me informed how it goes for you, so I can have something to go by. I don't want to give up yet! It is already very hard to kneel with these two bum knees so I am only hoping that the pain will only be minor compared to what I experience now.

Well, it's not necessarily painful for me to try and kneel. The "grossness" of it is hard to describe, but I think it sends pain signals to the brain even though it's really not so painful - just weird and uncomfortable. You'll see what I mean in a few months. Like I said, the feeling is in the areas that are still swollen - little pockets of swelling in various spots around my knees - so I feel pretty confident that one of these days it'll be just fine. We were going to go to the beach today and I realized I wouldn't be able to get up from the beach mat without his help so let him know to be prepared for it. (Weather was too cool so will try next weekend as I can't wait to get some heat and sun on my legs!)

I have had both knees replaced and I don't have any problem kneeling on them.I was kneeling on them within 6 months of having the replacement done. But to each his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads