TKR Knee Trauma

Southern3

Country
United States United States
I had a successful TKR last June. Very pleased with results and have resumed active lifestyle. Fishing, biking, playing with grandkids etc. Over the weekend I did something very dumb. While playing with twin grandchildren ( 8 years old ) in their pool, I jumped in to dunk a basketball. Unfortunately, I forgot that the goal was in the shallow end. (haven't been in the pool for over a year ) I landed straight legged on my TKR leg and it HURT ! I can walk without sharp pain but knee just aches like bone pain before TKR. Pain increases during day and sleep is VERY tough. I begged and have appointment this afternoon with surgeon who did my surgery. Hope I haven't ruined great result. Any similar experiences or thoughts? Thanks.

I am so sorry this has happened to you. Once our knees get better we can forget about them sometimes and do things we shouldn't be doing. Please let us know what your doctor says. Even though your tkr was last June, it's still not even a year old yet and needs extra care. I will leave you our recovery articles. Please tell us the exact date of your surgery and which knee it was.
The following are our basic guidelines and should help get you started. As you read more on other members recovery threads, you’ll get a better perspective of what to expect and what not to do, especially regarding PT.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Ouch! I can imagine how painful that must be. Sorry I can't say anything helpful but offer my sympathy. Good luck with the doctor.

Hope the appointment went well and you've got some reassurance.

Hello @Southern3 - and :welome:

I'm sorry you hurt your knee and I hope that your doctor's appointment will give you some reassurance.

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

My left knee replacement was June 18, 2018. My appointment yesterday was frustrating but hopeful. Actually saw PA who is very competent and who I like very much. He assisted in my surgery. Physical exam showed nothing major except decrease in range of motion. Stiffness. Bad news was that xray machine in that location was down. I will get xray tomorrow at office closer to me to rule out anything serious.
Thanks for encouraging notes. Here's hoping I dodged a major bullet!

Let us know what your xrays show.

X rays show no damage to new parts (or old parts!)
Good report, hope to be back up to speed soon.

Excellent news! Well you'll not do that again for sure!

I have to admit. I am a bit discouraged. Probably too impatient. Although OS says xrays look fine, I still have 5ish pain at end of day and at night. Have lost about 15 degrees of motion which also worries me. I have reduced my activity and ice often. Very bad timing., in that we have a short trip to Vegas scheduled next week and then family vacation to Co in early June to hike and fish etc. My boneheaded move was certainly ill timed!

I can't weigh in on the cause of your continued pain, but want to let you know that people have had some pretty bad falls without hurting or loosening their prosthesis. I follow a rock climbing forum where there are reports of people breaking their legs (femurs, and/or tibia and fibula) without "ruining" their TKR. You aren't immune though, so be careful!

Well, I have been a careless grandpa again! On family vacation in NC two weeks ago. Whole family goes ziplining. 9 yr old twins, ,their parents and my wife and me. Great fun and all went well except....I tried to stand up on 'landing' onto the angled platform at the end of second run. Not smart (although I had done first one that way and everyone else had too ) My new knee leg (two years) just sort of stuck and jammed hard. And hurt. Was able to stand and function but pretty sore (iced etc ) fast forward to today. Normal walking ok but any distance is tough. Rode my bike yesterday for 5 miles (less than normal ) Knee is stiff on start and hurts below kneecap on outer edge. After the ride , my hip started hurting and has hurt all night. I was hoping that maybe I had just strained my knee a bit on the zipline but now I am quite nervous that there is more damage. I will be calling my surgeon today to get in for a visit as soon as possible. Have a bike trip scheduled in September; need to be full functioning again!

@Southern3

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

Regarding your zipline accident - well what can I say. Hopefully it's not major damage. But if ice, elevation and rest don't ease this I would contact your surgeon.

Please keep us updated!

Hoping it’s just a soft tissue injury and will heal with rest, ice and elevation! Let us know what the OS says.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom