Lounge Doctor
Ask the Expert Webinar

Revision TKR Knee surgery for loose plastic

Wood man

Country
United States United States
Hi I’m new here. I had my left knee replaced march14,2019 . From the beginning I said I thought something wasn’t right with it. Last month I had a bone scan to find out the plastic is loose. It started out with popping when I would walk to now making a crunching noise when I stand up. It is giving me pain and some swelling. It is very uncomfortable. Is there a risk of more damage if I’m still trying to do my every day work? I sell firewood for a living, and what is the surgery and recovery for this

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Wood man - and :welome:

I've moved your post from the shoulder surgery area where you posted it, to the Knee Surgery Recovery Area.

I'm sorry the plastic spacer appears to be too thin. Having it replaced with a slightly thicker one should make your knee more stable and less painful.

Since your knee is already swollen and painful, the sooner you can get this done, the better things should be. It's probably not wise to continue working for too long before you get it fixed.

The surgery itself is relatively simple. It does mean that your knee will have to be opened up again, but exchanging the spacer for a thicker one is relatively simple.
You will need to take some time to recover from the surgery and you'll need to rest ice and elevate as you did for your knee replacement, but the recovery time will be much shorter.

TimeBuster

Country
I don't get these doctors.

I had the same issue as you. My spacer came out of place which damage my LCL I was walking around bowlegged on one leg.

As soon as I call my orthopedic Dr. who did the surgery and told her there was a problem with my knee she had me in her office the same day. Three days later I was under the knife as she repaired the LCL and put in a larger spacer.

I'm happy to say the surgery went well and I'm healing nicely.

OP
OP
W

Wood man

Country
Hi to everyone here. I had my left knee revision surgery on March 12th. I was in the hospital for 1 day and now I am home. I don’t have a lot of swelling and seem to be getting along pretty good. PT is coming to my house today to start. I had about 80 flex in the hospital yesterday, and am about 90 today. I hope everyone else is doing well .

Roy Gardiner

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
:welome: to BoneSmart.

Don't let the PT hurt you (in fairness, he may not try to push you, but in any case don't let him...)

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:

There are also some cautionary articles here

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

sistersinhim

Country
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just post what you would like it to be and we'll change it for you

Jewlz1

Country
Hi Wood man! I'm glad to hear you're doing well. How was PT today?

OP
OP
W

Wood man

Country
Hi everyone, once again I’m back. After having the plastic fixed in my knee I still have been having more discomfort than I thought I should have. My surgeon who did my first and the revision has now retired. I just had a new appointment with a new doctor and she told me that my knee was warm , and it should not be by now. She also checked the implant for side to side movement and said that was fine. Then she checked it for up and down movement and then after all of this that has happened to it said she is pretty sure that the implant is loose. I am scheduled for a blood test on August 17th and they might take some fluid from it. Can anyone tell me what I’m facing in the future with this knee, and does this sound like this doctor is addressing this issue correctly. She is a young doctor that seems to be every smart and I think capable. I’m very upset about this , not thinking I would hear this kind of news. Any help would be appreciated .

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello again @Wood man .
I'm sorry to hear you're still having problems with your knee.

For now, go with this new surgeon and have the tests done that she suggests.
If it turns out that you do have something wrong that needs further surgery, it would be a very good idea to seek out a surgeon who has a lot of experience in revising problem knees.

At this stage, it's not possible to predict what will happen - much of that depends on the results of the tests.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I agree with Celle, get these tests done. Once you have the results, get at least one other opinion. especially if more surgery is recommended. If surgery is recommended, find a very experienced revision surgeon.

LynetteCly

Country
I don’t have any suggestions beyond what’s been said. Just wanted to say I’m really sorry ...

OP
OP
W

Wood man

Country
Thanks everyone I will let you know more after my blood test thanks again

OP
OP
W

Wood man

Country
Hi everyone, just keeping everyone up on what’s going on now so far with this knee. I had a blood test to check for infection. Then went to the new doctor for results. She said that the blood test showed some elevation in the blood count. So they took fluid from my knee. They said that there was a lot of fluid in it, and that normally there is not. So I am going back in 1 1/2 weeks for those test results. So I’m not sure of what’s going on with it yet

OP
OP
W

Wood man

Country
Thank you. I will up date after my appointment for the fluid test. Thanks so much

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Fingers crossed for you @Wood man ! You certainly have had enough issues with this knee! Hang in there!

OP
OP
W

Wood man

Country
Hi everyone, I saw the new surgeon Friday. There isn’t any infection in my knee,that’s good news. The knee is loose in the upper part on one corner. She said that it will need a revision at some point, and left it up to me whether I had enough pain now to go thru the surgery now or let it go and see how it does. I felt I wasn’t in enough pain to go with the surgery now. She said that it was fine and if it gets worse to call her and we will go with surgery then. I hope I made a good choice. Will holding off make my knee worse in the end, and will there be more damage to it holding off?

Pumpkln

Country
@Wood man
There is a risk that if the implant loosening increases it will cause damage to the underlying bone.
While you do not need to make an immediate decision, if you notice any change in your knee suggest you see the surgeon and go ahead with the revision before additional damage occurs.

Be sure your current surgeon has experience with Revisions and/or Complex Joint Reconstruction.

OP
OP
W

Wood man

Country
Thank you for your support. I will keep you informed of any new things that come up. I also have a brace on it and it sure does help. But when it’s off it sure goes down hill with more pain . Thank you again

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
doxie girl
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom