TKR knee stiffness two years post-op

It is very easy to overdo in a pool. It feels great at the time, then that night your knee can throw a fit. Start out really, really slow and see how it reacts. I made the mistake at three months over just swimming one lap. Boy, did My Brat rebell. I wait another month before going back in. Then it was very slow going. It worked out well then.

just checking in, feeling today like I have been under house arrest. I hear people laughing and children playing outside my window and just feel like this ice/elevation is endless. It will be three weeks next Wed. Some days are better than others with swelling/pain. Nights are never anything but sleepless and endless. I think a medically induced coma for 6 months might be appealing! Seriously, I know this is one day at a time and I am thankful to be able to come to this blog and share with people who really do understand

yes, you are right, it is easy to overdo in the pool. I am not swimming at all, just walking slowly back in forth a few times now in the shallow end clutching a pool noodle. The day after I went in the pool for the first time, I did over do as the next day it was aches and swelling as evidence. All I did was some gentle stretching and small kicks-no more!

Tomorrow is 3 weeks and I know the bonesmart no rush, no comparing philosophy but I am feeling dissapointed that I am not further along. My brother, survior of both knees replaced, told me he went to the store and pushed a cart around at 3 weeks which made me feel like an under-achiever. I still pretty much ice and elevate as much as I did since coming home. I don't have access to prescription pain meds but the pain itself isn't that bad except at night. What is bad is the stiffness which makes me feel like the leg is a log. I went to 2 PT sessions and am done with that so I hope I am doing enough. Some gentle heel slides (using a skateboard and chair-great suggestions) and walking daily in my pool for 5-10 minutes is about it. I am going downstairs and up on my own now but taking it slow, up with the good down with the bad. Oh and at 10 days surgeon says x-rays and flexion was good (he just grabbed my leg and bent it, the sadist!) So I am asking the bonesmart academy, is there anything I am missing or something I shouldn't do based on your knowledge and dept of experience?

Tomorrow is 3 weeks and I know the bonesmart no rush, no comparing philosophy but I am feeling disappointed that I am not further along. My brother, survivor of both knees replaced, told me he went to the store and pushed a cart around at 3 weeks which made me feel like an under-achiever.
It sounds to me as if you're doing just fine.
It's a pity your brother told you about his exploits. Remember, though, that after a while, the memory of what happened, when, is often a bit inaccurate. It may, or may not, have been 3 weeks post-op when he went to the supermarket.

I know it's hard, but do try not to compare. Your knee is on its own recovery agenda, not your brother's.

My friend, Will, boasts that he went back to work 2 weeks after a TKR. He genuinely believes now that he had no problems and no complications - he isn't trying deliberately to deceive anyone.
The truth of it is this:
  • Although he did go back to work so early, he did it in a wheelchair.
  • His wife helped him get up, washed and dressed, and she drove him to and from work.
  • He stopped taking pain medications, saying they were "for Sissies".
  • Consequently, he was in pain and grumpy all day.
  • His colleagues wished he had stayed at home.
  • He rested in bed all the time, except when at work.
  • His wife waited on him, hand and foot.
  • By the time he was really recovered, his wife was a worn-out wreck.
He doesn't tell the full story, because he doesn't remember it.
He thinks he had a fast, uncomplicated recovery, and that's what he tells people.

By the way, his wife exacted her reward for looking after Will so well - she got an orange sports car for her birthday.
So I am asking the BoneSmart academy, is there anything I am missing or something I shouldn't do based on your knowledge and dept of experience?
It sounds to me as if you're doing all the right things, but you're getting a bit stir crazy. Can I suggest a short outing for a change of scenery? Maybe out to a coffee shop, somewhere you can put your leg up on a bench while you sit?

Celle,
Thanks so much, your reply was so helpful. Yes, selective memory may be at play with my brother and others. I think your suggestion about getting out is right on the money. I am thinking of going out for frozen yougurt tomorrow, my hubby is on board with this and so is my pup. The reassurance you gave me feels almost as good as my ice cuff!
Thanks again,
Cathy

Most of my pain was in the form of what I called "sore stiffness." Pain meds (or later tylenol) taken on a schedule helped.
Frozen yogurt sounds good--I found short outings very helpful to my mood. :) :-) (:

Hi @cathyn518! I must say I am relieved to read your post, since we are practically knee twins, lol.

Like you, I am still feeling like my leg is a dead log hanging off my torso. It is so stiff much of the time, and bending is so painful in the beginning, although after a few stretches is seems to ease up. I am also finding the nights endless, and keep checking the clock to see whether morning has arrived yet or not (usually not).

I am still going to pt, but really wonder whether it’s worth the effort of getting in and out of the back seat of the suv...that in itself is enough physical activity! All the things I do at pt, I can do at home (except for the the cycle). I am thinking I’ll give it one more week...

Soooo....how was your outing? Frozen yoghurt sounds like pretty awesome medicine to me! :yes:

Hi @cathyn518! I must say I am relieved to read your post, since we are practically knee twins, lol.

Like you, I am still feeling like my leg is a dead log hanging off my torso. It is so stiff much of the time, and bending is so painful in the beginning, although after a few stretches is seems to ease up. I am also finding the nights endless, and keep checking the clock to see whether morning has arrived yet or not (usually not).

I am still going to pt, but really wonder whether it’s worth the effort of getting in and out of the back seat of the suv...that in itself is enough physical activity! All the things I do at pt, I can do at home (except for the the cycle). I am thinking I’ll give it one more week...

Soooo....how was your outing? Frozen yoghurt sounds like pretty awesome medicine to me! :yes:
Hi Snowdrop, we are knee twins! The trip out was good, even though I knew in some sense how life altering the surgery was going to be, I didn't know how everything would be paused. I keep telling myself I just have to make it to Christmas and that will be 9 months. (It was 94 here today so I have some waiting to do) Hope you are well, I am actually trying a new PT next week, one who should be more paitent and gentle!

Hello, fellow knee twin!
I feel like we are kindred spirits, as I also adore the show Superstore, have a (too) energetic dog, am thoroughly disgusted with the news, and also investigated CBD oil (along with various forms of medical marijuana). Haven't decided anything yet - the prices for the CBD oil products that I have seen are astronomical! But I am considering seeing a doctor who can prescribe medical marijuana, as it has been legalized here in Florida.

Anyway, I am sorry to hear that it is so difficult to get legally prescribed opioids where you are. How very frustrating. I wish you well on your road to recovery.

Hello @cathyn518 and @floridoris ! Looks like we’re knee triplets! How are both of you doing?

My new knee seems to be coming along. I am using a cane around the house now, but have yet to venture outside for a good walk. Our long driveway is on a hill, and the roads around us are in pretty rough shape...not exactly meant for stability while walking with a cane! I am terrified of stumbling and falling. I also live in a small town, so no indoor malls or anything either. My pt is at the hospital though, so I make use of their air conditioned and smooth hallways, lol.

Sleeping, like for most of us, is still an issue. I can get a solid 3 hours at a time before the knee wakes me up to complain. My ROM is okay...flexion around 90, but I wish it was better. Extension is around 2, so that’s good. I still take hydromorphone before sleeping, but tylenol gets me through the rest of the day.

I am seriously bored though! There is only so much tv and iPad browsing one can do! We have so many summer festivals in our area...I wish I could get out and enjoy them. Instead, my days are spent elevating, icing, walking circles around the house and then repeating. :umm:

Hello @snowdrop! I hope I did that right. I like going to PT for that same reason - air conditioning and smooth, wide paths. I'm a bit of a homebody, but I am hoping my daughter will take me to a mall one day so I can walk around. She doesn't think I'm ready, but I'd like to get out a little. I tried walking on my street and had an encounter with a neighbor's Boxer (friendly, but ran out of the house and jumped on me!) So that (and the oppressive heat) have put me off of walking outside for now.

I also have difficulty sleeping straight through the night, as I did prior to surgery. Today I slept til almost 7 a.m. I had been waking at 4:30 and 5 a.m. and couldn't fall back to sleep. The days are so long when that happens.

Were you the one who described getting in and out of a car like a walrus? I laughed when I read that, and can relate so much.

we do have things in common! I love Superstore too, have seen them all, the last once was quite a tear jerker but I will not spoil it if you have not seen it with further comments. I too am bored and find I am fighting feeling sorry for myself when restless. I was able to stop myself from ordering some unnecessary things on Prime Day today, I am happy to report. I do not need a roomba vacuum! In a minute, my husband, myself and pup will take my 1/10 of a mile outside walk. It has been so hot here that we have been waiting for the sun to go down. I tend to not bend my surgerical knee much and try to work on heel/toe. I am afraid I look like a wind up toy soilder when walking

I am seriously bored though! There is only so much tv and iPad browsing one can do!
This. TV was great while I was drugged and fuzzy, but now I'm more alert and my wants something more, but the rest of me isn't ready. I think a lot of my problem is 2 solid weeks, 85% laying in my bed, because my recliner doesn't get my leg up high enough. I've been having a lot of video calls and live chats with friends and family. That's helping.
And posting entirely too much here on the forum of course.

I got teary at the finale of Superstore and wasn't expecting that ending at all.

My birthday was last month, and my daughter got me a roomba vacuum! It might be a different brand, though, but I think it will come in handy, provided I can figure out how to program it.

Hope the walk with the dog went well!

I got teary at the finale of Superstore and wasn't expecting that ending at all.

My birthday was last month, and my daughter got me a roomba vacuum! It might be a different brand, though, but I think it will come in handy, provided I can figure out how to program it.

Hope the walk with the dog went well!

The dog walk went well but one of us is stiff and swollen today so I am taking that as a I did too much. Today has been rainy and I am guiltly glad as I do not feel like I am the only one shut-in this summer. I thought of waiting until the fall to have the TKR but once I decided I wanted to go through with it, I wanted it done! Hope your recovery is progressing. I do not have a recliner although my sister wanted to bring hers over to me from her house. Now I wonder if I should have agreed!

Today I started with a new PT, recommended as someone who would not be aggressive. I told her I did not want to have her force my knee and she said she would let me do the work By and large things went well , she said ROM is 103 and extension is perfect. My other leg is 135 rom and the that should be the goal. Not sure how this seems at 4 weeks and would appreciate any feedback although I know everyone's journey is different

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member