Lounge Doctor

TKR knee stiffness two years post-op

alexthecat

SOCIAL MEDIA COORDINATOR
Country
United States United States
I've changed your thread title as you requested.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

LindaO

senior
Country
It is still early in your healing and I'm sure you have read that it can take up to a year to heal. It has been 2.5 years for me and I still get stiff of a morning but once I start moving around, the stiffness eases. I was at the 'why did I do this" stage but remembered back to not being about to go up or down stairs without pain so consider the stiffness a little easier to handle.
Hang in there and continue to stretch....it does get easier over time and you get to where you don't notice it as much. Best of luck and thank you for updating us!

OP
OP
cathyn518

cathyn518

Country
thank you, I just re-read my post and realized how whiny I sounded! I know I have healing ahead and need to give it time. Paintence more than anything is what is needed

sistersinhim

Country
Patience is one of the hardest things put up with this recovery. I was right there with you. What helped me through it was to celebrate each tiny improvement and during those bad down days, to look back at those tiny improvements and the joy they gave me at the time.

OP
OP
cathyn518

cathyn518

Country
Hello Old Friends,
Two years ago this past year I had a TKR. All seemed to be going well until now. I am experiencing increasing stiffness in this knee and all the knee/calf stretches I am doing do not seem to help! Movement actually seems to make the knee more stiff. I also have occassional throbbing pain in my outside calf of the TKR leg as well

Can't get in to see my surgeon for months due to pandemic restrictions. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@cathyn518 You will notice I moved your latest post to your original recovery thread. Now we have all your history in one place.

What is your activity level right now? Have you started any new activity that might make that knee complain?

OP
OP
cathyn518

cathyn518

Country
Hi,
Thank you for re-homing my post! I don't think my activity has increased. Maybe walking my dog a bit longer on a nice day but she is an old girl too and doesn't go for miles. My knee is not painful, just tight like there is a band around it almost. Occassional pain in outside of calf but that is inconsistent. Maybe trying to stretch it out when it feels tight is not helping as it doesn't seem to help really.

Hortgirl

Country
Canada Canada
Hi Cathyn. I'm experiencing similar issues with my knees, which were replaced in March and October 2018. I had an excellent recovery at the time, and the only problem I've encountered is that it hurts to kneel - so I just don't. But lately, I've been feeling stiffness in both knees. No pain, just tightness. I'm hoping someone can suggest a cause and perhaps a solution. I'll admit to having been more inactive lately, with my depression having ramped up in the last year or so. Covid, stress etc. Anyway, I'm wondering if some energetic massage would help, along with the exercises that I used to do to improve ROM after surgery. The only thing I can think of is a build-up of scar tissue, but I can't find anything that says that can happen 3 years post-op.

judgar

Country
I have one knee that is 8 years old, some days it’s very tight and feels like a burning sensation. And I have a 2 year old knee that has the same. Some days I go nuts with this. But there is no pain like I have before surgery I guess it’s something I just have to live with

OP
OP
cathyn518

cathyn518

Country
yes, I am thinking this is something I have to live with. I suppose I will feel better if and when I get to see my surgeon again. Exercise does not seem to help my knee, stretches seem to make it stiffer. I almost feel like it is harder to walk and I have almost tripped at times. I have taken Ibuprofen but that does not help with stiffness

bland9

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Oh I know how it feels, my knees get so stiff 2.5 years after TKR, in fact cannot bend or straighten , walkiing still with crutches, if you suffering still with this , it does not improve and may need more intervention via Surgeon, Im stil waiting to have mine redone, pain is also a factor in stiffness of knee . like you rest helps very little and now Im asking for even more pain killers from GP,

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
irving95
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom