MUA knee so stiff<<

Lots of appointments next week - assessment by surgeon- pre- op coming all of a sudden- a day's procedure also will speak to surgeon about OH conditions. don't know how long the recovery period is for arthroscopic procedure- any advice will be appreciate- jumping ahead -what to do for physiotherapy

I've had two arthroscopic procedures, one on each knee but they were years ago. The recovery is much quicker than with a TKR, days/weeks as opposed to months. Rest, icing and elevating are key elements and pain meds as needed. I don't recall much in the way of PT afterwards but every situation is different. Talk to the surgeon at the pre-op appointment and ask.

Good luck with everything! :flwrysmile:

what to do for physiotherapy
Always opt for a gentle recovery. Your husband has been through a lot with his knees, he does not need any painful “therapy.” What he does need is:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

I've had a total of 9 arthroscopic procedures through the years on my knees. It always took me 6-8 weeks to recover. I did my own PT, so I kept the swelling and pain under control. Your husband should do the same and ice and elevate lots.

Looking through My OH hospital papers and came across the procedure they going to do is a arthroscopic washout with synovial biopsy - disappointing really has not sure if this is any help at all .

@bland9 Sounds like they are finally going to address your on-going issues. Washout and biopsy means they are investigating - it's good news!

My OH is going to have his Arthroscopic procedure 26th November at last but Im concerned "he suffers from memory loss awaiting tests for dementia"- how is this going to affect him .will the surgeon do the procedure- has anyone else had these concerns ,
Because of your concerns about the beginnings of dementia, be sure and mention this to both the surgeon and the anesthesiologist. Sometimes the drugs used in a general anesthetic (if that's what he's having) appear to contribute slightly to the advancement of dementia, although studies have not linked anesthesia directly to the onset of dementia. He should have the least possible medication needed to try and avoid any potential problems with this.

Also just wondering The procedure my Husband is having -the letter my husband from 3 years ago stated slight infection in knee- surely after that time the infection been and gone-and whats the point of the washout and biopsy , his knee is not hot or swollen its just he cannot straighten it or bend it passed 65/70 rom and chronic pain..

Researching the need for synovial biopsy and washout and after all this time -it make no sense. - like previously mentioned= he got no heat in knee -no tenderness, no swelling, all he has got is the inability to straighten and bend plus chronic pain. more like scar tissue problems to me,
Hopefully we can get some sensible answer has dont want see him go through a waste of a procedure and having to go through another , when biopsy come out clear

Attended hospital today -surgeon stated dont think its infection - but will take a biopsy just in case - having a look inside - but agree with us maybe scar tissue- see the results of this but he did state if he will do a revision it most likely not going to improve things and may make it worse, so could remain were my OH is at present

That is very disappointing news, but not a guarantee that they can’t do something to improve his situation, just a possibility. Sending hugs and prayers that they are able to make things better. :console2: :prayer:

Also forgot to mention The surgeon stated that my OH knee is like rock may have trouble doing the Arthroscopic procedure- yes it getting worse- though he did say that going force back my husband leg to see it that helps

I will throw a thought out there. Has anyone speculated that it might be an incorrect-sized implant? Something is keeping that knee from bending and adhesions can't be the blame for everything. Doing another MUA sounds really scary. I pray the OS will actually see what the problem is.

Thankyou sistersinhim -He has done all the xrays and said nothing wrong with implants. Though today he had serious look on his face and stated quite strongly that further revisions likely to make things worse he may open knee up to clear all the scar tissue out- it all depends on what he sees on Saturday- yes its not a good outcome, I do believe the surgeon trying everything he can to help

Just be careful with any PT after this procedure. Your husband has not been able tp bend and straighten for a long time, so he’ll need a long time of gentle movements, to help his knee heal.

I wish you the very best!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Husband now had bloods, RCG, taken and XRays taken, made note his memory loss, told cannot leave hospital unless family member is there for him, now got lateral flow tests to do and them he off- Saturday for the procedure.
be good if the Surgeon was going to sort the problem out -but No- again though miracles can happen

Hello All
This is my first post to the forum though I have been reading and getting personal strength with all I have read on how others have coped with there own knee replacement, the reason for my first post is that I'm now into my 3rd week on my left TKR , my pain is decreasing though my leg and knee is so stiff its though I got a tight lead band around my knee and its difficult to bend, walking still difficult, what I ask is this normal for this amount of time in my recovery period, I am wondering if I will be able to bend the knee again silly I know but it does make one think
What you describe is the same thing I experienced. That tight band feeling was very annoying, and for some time I thought it was never going away as it persisted for months. But 5 months out for me now and that feeling is gone…..

Just my opinion here, but I hope you’re doing PT rehab and home exercises. I’m a firm believer in it. It served me very well. And I continued long beyond my surgeons prescribed 6 weeks, and beyond what my insurance would cover paying for a month myself….

Not all PT’s are the same, I had to quit one, and had to have a couple of stern conversations with my second one, but after my second talk, they began doing exactly what I wanted….don’t let them hurt you, make them work for you….:)

Best of luck to you, and Happy Thanksgiving :yay:

Just my opinion here, but I hope you’re doing PT rehab and home exercises. I’m a firm believer in it. It served me very well. And I continued long beyond my surgeons prescribed 6 weeks, and beyond what my insurance would cover paying for a month myself….
Yes, this did serve you well, but if you read this whole thread, @bland9 has had a really tough time, for years, and he needs to be careful with the PT. He is a special case and probably won’t be able to do the usual PT protocol.

Bless my other half all he asks if he can walk normally- he said pain he can live with- he had it so long now its part of his life, now he be getting his mobility scooter Monday -once he can prove to me he safe -then at least he can travel a little more than 50m before having to stop and rest and spending rest of day in pain

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88