BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[KNEE INFECTION] Knee revision

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Gary7, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Gary7

Gary7 new member

United States United States
    I had a knee replacement in Jan 2019. Determined now infected. Has anyone tried IV antibiotics for a 6 week period and then oral - any success?
    Any one just do a one step replacement?
    If you did the two step replacement what happens (what can you do, how painful is it, for how long) during the time the antibiotic block is put in awaiting an eventual knee replacement?
    I am brand new to this forum and very scared of revision surgery.
    Thanks

2. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi and Welcome!

I will ask @KarriB to come talk to you, she has been through an infection.

@Jamie will also have good information for you.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

3. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Gary7 Welcome to BoneSmart! Sorry you are dealing with an infection.

If you go to the Knee Recovery area you will see several threads with a yellow Revision TKR subtitle in front of the thread title. Click on one of these yellow subtitles and you will get a list of threads posted by members who have had knee revisions. They won't all pertain to revision due to infection. But we do have many members who have been through this recovery.

I wish you all the best!

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. marieltha

marieltha senior

Welcome!

5. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You can also find threads with knee infections by clinking and the red subtitle. There are none on the first page, but probably are some on the other pages.

6. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

7. KarriB

KarriB FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I’m sorry to hear of your infection. My infection presented at 4 weeks post op so my OS did a washout/debridement surgery and put me in an immbolizer 24/7 for 4-6 weeks. The infectious disease Dr ordered IV antibiotics with a PICC line and an oral antibiotic at the same time, even with all that it took a good month for my closed incision to stop seeping. I can’t tell you it was easy, but even at 2 months post infection surgery I was happy I’d had the TKR.

Talk to your OS and ID (infectious disease Dr), write out any and all questions. I saw both my drs often after the infection surgery, the OS was 2x a week for 6 weeks and the ID ordered labs weekly to insure everything was ok, plus saw her every other week. Nurses came every week to check my incision, change the dressing on my PICC line and take blood for labs. I would not have had the energy to leave the house again and walk a hospital so home healthcare was a God send.

Feel free to ask questions and I’ll do my best to answer.

8. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @Gary7 - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement, which knee it is, and when and how the infection was discovered? Then we can make a signature for you, so we don't have to keep coming back to your first post to see what has happened to your knee. Thank you.:flwrysmile:

What does your surgeon propose to do, to cure your infection?
    Some people do getaway with a one=stage treatment, which includes a washout of your knee, but the usual procedure is to have the knee replacement hardware removed in one operation and an antibiotic-impregnated spacer placed inside your knee. You then have a course of IV and oral antibiotics. While the IV antibiotics may be given for about 6 weeks or so, it is common to have to take oral antibiotics for a long time.

You should have an Infectious Diseases doctor on your team, as he/she will be the expert on following your progress and deciding when your infection is completely cured. Once that has happened, the antibiotic spacer will be removed in a second operation and new knee replacement hardware will be inserted.

I know you are worried about having a revision, but it is really important to cure your knee infection once and for all.
    I've had a knee revision and it was no worse than the original surgery.