Knee revision

CDFRUSSELL

Country
United States United States
I'm having problems with my 8 year old total knee replacement with pain in the tibia where the replacement post was inserted. It started hurting when I was laying down but now has progressed to where it hurts when I walk. The pain radiates on the interior of the knee across the lower part of the knee cap. I really don't want a revision and is there any way that Dr's can repair this without total revision?

Hello @CDFRUSSELL - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

I don't think there's any way of knowing if surgeons can cure your pain without doing a revision, because we don't yet know what the problem is, and why you are having pain.

Your first move should be to either go back to your original surgeon or to seek advice from a different surgeon. Either way, some tests will need to be made, to determine what is causing the pain. Then, you and the surgeon can discuss a possible solution.

It's my right knee and it was done in Jan 2009. And my next move is to visit the orthopedic surgeon.

I'm glad you're going to see a surgeon.
Do let us know what he/she says, won't you?

Typically, any surgeon who evaluates you will take x-rays to determine what's wrong. I had one surgeon say he thought he could revise the tibial components and the spacer and maybe leave the femoral piece, but he wouldn't know for sure until the surgery. When do you see the surgeon?

I really don't want a revision and is there any way that Dr's can repair this without total revision?
I'm in that position right now and I really don't want to have a revision but the truth of it is that there is no way a loose implant can be fixed without it. It has to be removed and a new one implanted.

But it does sound like you have a loose implant. Sorry. The only crumb of comfort is that this surgery shouldn't be as bad as the first time around.

Visiting a surgeon is the next move. I'll just keep moving on until it comes around. I'm trying Arnicare gel for the first time today. I'll see if that will lessen the discomfort while walking and working.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
shibbard
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom