BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Knee Replacement

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Izzy59, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Izzy59

Izzy59

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I was scheduled to have a TLKR on 28 September. Went for a Pre-Op Assessment and found out that it has been brought forward to next Monday (18), at least I've not got long to wait

Tags:
  2. Teri59

Teri59

United States United States
    Hello @Izzy59 I have the same date. I was scheduled for Feb 18 and got the call of the move up. Now it is Monday. Have you joined the Sept Sapphires?

3. SusieShoes

SusieShoes Forum Advisor

Welcome to BoneSmart, Izzy! By all means join the September Sapphires, your companions in surgery this month. And after your surgery, come over to the Recovery Forum to continue your journey. Here in Pre-Op is a good place to ask questions about what to expect or how to prepare.

Here is a list of links to information and reading that will answer some of your questions:

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

If you have any questions, fire away - we're here to help!

4. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

Woo hoo! That's wonderful!

5. Izzy59

Izzy59

Morning everyone, I need some advice. I've been told I'm having a spinal with sedation, now I'm considering asking for a general anaesthetic so I can wake up and it's all over. Which is the best? Thanks

6. SusieShoes

SusieShoes Forum Advisor

Go with spinal. I had my very first spinal for my knee surgery, and it was my most pleasant anesthesia experience ever. I was in the OR and the nice anesthestist asked me a question I think I answered and... seconds later I woke up to bright lights in the Recovery Room. It was like a time warp. I remember nothing of the surgery itself. You see, with spinal anesthesia you also get some wonderful sedation that keeps you blissfully unaware. :sleeep:

Another plus to spinal is that you wake up ungroggy. You're more aware and generally feel better, just numb below the waist for a while. That wears off and you can soon move your legs again.

Here's an article that talks more about this: Anaesthetics - Spinals, Femoral Blocks, GAs and everything else

7. OJ2

OJ2

With a spinal, you just wake up and it's all over too. You just have no feeling in your legs for a little while, and that is a blessing. When I had mine, I remember the anesthesiologist telling me to lean into the pillow some guy was holding on the side of the table. The next thing I knew, I had a sense of my leg being moved, but no pain. I was very comfortable. I think they were just wrapping my leg up, but I drifted off to sleep again and then completely woke up in the recovery area, where I could hear a man snoring in the bay next to me. I stayed in the recovery area for about an hour, and was then taken to a room. My legs were fine by then, but still felt no pain due to the extra stuff they shot into my leg. Most drs recommend the spinal. My understanding is that less anesthesia has to be used, and the side effects are less.

8. LuluArchie

LuluArchie

Hi everyone.
    My knee replacement is next Tuesday and that has been confirmed today. I am not looking forward to the spinal injection though. I remember having one for my cesarean,when I had my daughter,who is now 16.
    I'm not a wimp ,but the needle I remembered was awful.
    I know I have to just get on with it.
    I would prefer a GA,then I can wake up and it's all over.
    Xx

9. LuluArchie

LuluArchie

I have just checked the difference between the Spinal and the Epidural . I was wrong, I had an Epidural not a Spinal.

Oops,I'm started to get very nervous
    Xx

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner Forum Advisor

Spinal + sedation = sleep. You can ask them to make sure you're asleep (at least that's what I did). Never felt the needle, woke up fine. Much better than GA.

11. OJ2

OJ2

I never felt the needle. Never felt them laying me back down. The happy juice must have been flowing.

12. sistersinhim

sistersinhim Forum Advisor

Oh yeah, I agree completely. With sedation there is no GA hangover or throwing up! You wake up and feel like you've just had a good nap! I hope I never have to have general again!

• Like Like x 1