TKR Knee replacement without a kneecap

Sisty

Country
United States United States
I am new and do not know where to post so I will blunder through using my age 73 as an excuse. My husband is 75 and does not have a kneecap due to a surgery 40 yrs ago and is in tremendous pain. We need to find a doctor who has done knee replacements without a kneecap, all we have spoken with have done the normal knee replacements. I read that it could be done without a problem on this Forum and was so excited. Please tell me the name of a doctor who does this and pls a person who he has done. Is this too much to ask?

Hello @Sisty - and :welome:

Having a knee replacement without a kneecap shouldn't present a problem.

I'm going to ask @sistersinhim to come and talk to you. She has had both knees replaced and she had both her kneecaps removed before her knee replacements.

I see that you live in Conroe, Texas. How far would you be able to travel to find th right surgeon?

I'll ask @Jamie if she can recommend a surgeon for your husband.

By the way, since your husband hasn't yet had his surgery, I'll move this thread to the Knee Surgery Pre-Op Area. People ho have had their surgery still come back to Pre-op, to give advice and talk about their experience.

Thank you, of course closer home would be convenient but my main objective is to get him the "best" surgeon wherever that is. I have the "fly me home" program if we are 150 miles from home. He is in a lot of pain now and cannot enjoy life.

Hi there. I had my tkr in 2016. My kneecaps were removed in the early 90s. I, too, was concerned about this surgery being done without kneecaps since the patella tendons have been shortened. I called around and found a few doctors that had done this surgery on patients like me. Then I did a lot of research and prayed about each of these doctors until I found the one I had peace about. I'm in Virginia, so I doubt you'd want to travel this far but his name is Dr. Jason Hull with Tuckahoe Ortho.

My results are just fine with no new problems from having no kneecaps. I think my recovery was average but I did use my walker and cane probably longer than normal. Before my tkr I used a cane for over 25 years, so using it longer afterwards didn't bother me at all! Now, I have the cane in my car, just in case, but haven't used it for years! My knee is a little stronger than it was before and almost pain-free!

Hi, Sisty.....welcome to BoneSmart. I think you'll find surgeons in nearby Houston that can do your husband's knee replacement. Surgeons don't usually put that type of information in their websites, so you may have to do some legwork to find the doctor that has this experience and suits you both.

Here are a couple of surgeons that I have from Houston you can check out. There are likely other surgeons who would have some experience in this area. I also have some names from Austin or Dallas if you'd prefer to travel there.

Houston, Texas

Dr. Stephen J. Incavo

Phone: 713-441-3569

Dr. Robin Goytia
713-799-2300

Dr. David Lionberger
713-790-1818

Thank you so much for the info. He has been in a lot of pain and I want to make sure we do our research. I want him to have a doctor who has done this very surgery multiple times successfully to give him the best chance of a successful outcome. We are new to the Conroe area, so the names for Houston are great. we have family in Dallas so I would love to have the names of the doctors in Dallas as well.

@Jamie

It sounded like to me that sistersinhim was still in some pain after her surgery and it has been quite some time. I am definitely going to make sure we talk to several doctors to make sure they have done several surgeries like my husbands and hopefully some who have been done will be willing to talk to us. Will you pls share with me the doctors names you have in Dallas? That is quite doable for us. Thank you

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mtcwp
Recent bookmarks