TKR Knee replacement suddenly scheduled

oregonlass

Country
United States United States
Hi All,
Wow, the past six months have been crazy. My surgery was scheduled for January 20th. Then dear hubby was in a serious auto accident while I was at my pre-op appointment. Surgery canceled. Because of the accident, there were a lot of things I took over doing because my husband couldn't. And then there was the pandemic and my surgeon along with others based on age and risk was furloughed.
Long story short, by the end of June I had developed severe sciatica. I saw a substitute doctor and he sent me to PT. My therapist diagnosed that it was not really my back, it's the knee causing it. We've been working on it ever since and I'm doing way better.
Last week we talked and decided it would be smart to see if I could find out when my surgeon might be back and get on a waiting list. I called and was surprised to learn he had just recently started working with patients and doing surgeries. I had to leave a message for his scheduler to call me back and didn't expect to hear back for a week or more. She surprised me by calling back the same day and offered me either Aug 10th or 24th. Since my husband is just starting to drive and is still in PT himself, I opted for the 24th. So wow. What a surprise. I'm now scheduled to stay with my PT to help me be as ready as I can for surgery.
With the coronavirus, going into a hospital is a bit nerve-wracking. I know they are watching the numbers carefully both at the state and local level. The hospital requires I get a COVID test two days before surgery at the hospital outdoor testing center, and then self-quarantine until I leave the house for surgery. And since they have been very cautious about performing elective surgeries, it's confidence building.
My body and my knee will both be happier when this is all completed. I have an amazing PT who coaxes the body and doesn't hesitate to use alternative therapies instead of "exercises."

Pumpkln

Country
United States United States
Glad you finally have a surgery date, and your husband is starting to feel better.
Your signature has been corrected, sorry for the mix up.

Your PT will help with getting you ready for your TKR so you go in stronger. They can also review using assistive devices, walkers, canes, stairs, so you do not have to relearn all of that right after surgery.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
dgojill
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom