BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[REVISION TKR] Knee Replacement Replacement 1/9/19

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by maryo52, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm glad things are going so well, Mary.

I completely agree with your surgeon, that your knee needs time to heal before exercising.
    My surgeon doesn't allow any PT at all for the first month after a knee replacement. He says your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing. For that month, we rest, ice and elevate our leg, and walk around the house.
    After that month, we just go to PT once every 2 weeks, where we are shown a few new exercises to do at home.
    His patients all do well and achieve good ROM, as I did, and he hasn't had to do a manipulation to help with ROM for the past 4 years. I think that speaks for itself.

• Like Like x 1
  2. maryo52

maryo52 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    I go back 4 weeks post surgery. I live 6 hours away.

3. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You live 6 hours from your OS? If so, that's quite a long trip for a newborn knee.

4. skigirl

skigirl FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Mary, I feel so good reading your posts---I know how difficult it was for you to get a less than stellar outcome and the years you put up with a wonky knee. At least you found someone you can trust and who seems to be competent. I am very happy for you.

• Like Like x 2
  5. maryo52

Thanks @skigirl. I owe some of this success to you and your guidance and support.

6. skigirl

skigirl FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Thank you, Mary, but I think that you did the research and thought things through here. You have been a good support system here on BoneSmart for those who have struggled with a less than perfect outcome. But, it is wonderful to read about this new knee, I hope you are jumping for joy in a few months!!

7. maryo52

Everything going well. I did take a half an oxycodone again last night when I woke up with what felt like bone pain from my ankle to my hip. Iced at bedtime then again at 4 am, fell back to sleep, woke up at 7:50 feeling as if I'd slept forever. I've made my own breakfast each morning, usually just coffee and granola. This morning we had eggs, bacon and toast and I made all that plus the coffee, and now icing. That's with no narcotics in my system. Hallelujah!!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Mary, I'm so glad things are going well for you this time around. You have been through so much and it's going to be wonderful seeing you finally happy with your knee. I pray the good news continues. Even with that big blip with the surgeon it sounds like you made an excellent choice for a doctor. You were smart to just go with the ego thing and concentrate on the fact that his technical expertise was what you needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Mary,
    Very happy to see how well you are doing with your new knee. I have been following you since 2011 and all you went through with your TKR.
    I am interested in hearing about your pain protocol that is working so well for you, when you have a chance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I’m interested in this, also.

I stopped my narcotics on Day 11 post op and managed, but was still pretty uncomfortable.

Do you just not need heavy duty pain meds or was there another reason to avoid them?

I’m glad things are going so well this time, you certainly deserve it!

• Like Like x 1
  11. maryo52

I was worried about pain control. Dr. High & Mighty said I wouldn't have pain. Well, after the surgery I had a deep ache and they gave me dilaudid IV. I also received tylenol, celebrex and toradol. That evening the nurse is asking me what I needed for pain, my level was negligible. I kept waiting to hit the wall of pain. But never did. I was given 1000 of tylenol + 50 mg lyrica every 8 hours in the hospital and am continuing that here at home. Each of the past three evenings I've taken 2.5 mg oxycodone because things ramped up a bit. Tomorrow I'm filling a scrip for celebrex. I haven't done much with my knee yet -- I'm on a no-bending protocol for one week -- so there isn't a lot of pain being created. I did overdo things this morning making breakfast, but that's how we learn our limits, I guess. Lots of icing and elevation - love my polar ice unit, it really gets my knee good and cool. Everyone remarks how good I look & sound. My husband is relieved too because the first go-round in 2010/11 was a nightmare for him as well.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Jockette

Same here for us.

I had a drastic vision change, overnight, with my surgery and my surgeon thought it might be the Dilaudid I was taking. I switched to tramadol on day 10, had a melt down that night and stopped the prescription drugs, hoping my vision would return to “my normal”. It never did.

13. Spex10

Spex10 post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm another who didn't seem to have much of a problem with pain. I refused all opiodes for my second TKR and really felt so much better for being clear headed. Paracetamol was all I required. I know I was very lucky indeed though.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Cementless

Cementless senior

@maryo52, did you have any type of block to numb your leg for a day or so?

15. maryo52

Because I have neuropathy which started right after my original TKR. So they didn't want do anything to my nerves so no block, and I was put under general anesthesia instead of having a spinal.

I never in a million years thought I'd be "one of those" who took only acetaminophen for pain. Never.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Jockette

Interesting about the neuropathy. Where was it?

17. maryo52

I've been diagnosed with "small fiber peripheral neuropathy." It started in my the foot of my operative leg in 2010 and it's grown to involve both feet and lower legs. I have a mixture of numbness, tingling and pain.

18. Jockette

I have had something like that for 6 years in the foot of my non operated leg. It’s very uncomfortable to just put a sock on that foot and actually painful to wear a closed shoe.

In the autumn after my knee replacement my knee started to do the same thing my foot was doing, it freaks out the second I put pants on and still does now, at almost 2 years post op.

One of my fears with a revision is that the (undiagnosed) nerve issue in my knee may be further upset with all the disruption of a new surgery.

19. maryo52

I discussed the surgery with my neurologist and felt reassured there'd be no complications. What drove me crazy were the weight of covers on my toes. I have to sleep 100% on my back with my toes pointed up. I put on sock/slippers that are too big and they protect my toes from the pressure of the covers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jockette

I can’t have the covers touch my foot, either, they have to be uncovered. My husband is cold all the time so we keep our heat at 74, which works to my favor with needing my feet uncovered and wearing shorts at home because of my knee.

Going out in the winter is a challenge as it’s too cold for shorts and sandals, though I wear them into fall as long as I can.

My foot Dr sent me to a neurologist who told me I was overthinking it. :hairpulling: We moved out of state shortly after and I haven’t sought another opinion since.