TKR Knee replacement recovery

Peanuts

Country
United States United States
I am 7 months post op and was wondering why I am still limping?
I've been to rehab, going on my own, doing exercises, etc.
I am also still swollen. Doctor says it takes about a year and not to worry about the swelling.

Any suggestions?!

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
Have you raised this concern with your surgeon? I‘ve heard the same in regard to the swelling. It’s never too late to ice and elevate, so if you’re not doing both on a regular basis, give it a dedicated try. Here are articles on both -
ICE and ELEVATE

Just as ski_bum wisely recommended above, try heel -toe walking -
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Here is a visual -
1674657747152.png

Hope this helps! A great rest of the week to you,

Also, please leave the exact date of your surgery and which knee was replaced. We will create a signature for you to reflect this information making it easier for those stopping by to read / comment to see how far along you are in recovery.
Thanks in advance.
@Peanuts

Doctor says it takes about a year and not to worry about the swelling.
Your doctor is correct, it takes most people at least a year to recover from this surgery. At 7 months, you are only a little over 1/2 way there.
wondering why I am still limping?
If you are anything like I was, I limped for years before my surgery because of the pain. It took me a long time to break that habit after my tkr. If you are still swollen, then you are probably still painful. That will cause you to limp. Ice and elevate your knee to get that swelling down. Once you don't have to worry about the pain, your limp will probably disappear. Following the advice of the other two will aid in getting rid of that limp, too.
I've been to rehab, going on my own, doing exercises, etc.
I am also still swollen.
It is very possible that you are doing too much at this stage of your knee's healing and keeping it inflamed. Cut your exercises way back for at least 3 weeks and you should see much improvement in that swelling. Your knee needs time to recuperate from the surgery. Doing too much too soon just slows down that healing and sets back your recovery. Please read the articles that I will leave for you in my next post. Even though your TKR was months ago, you can benefit from the knowledge they contain.

Each person is different as is their recovery. Most find that the Bonesmart approach works best for them, but others find that a more aggressive therapy helps them more. It's your recovery and your choice on how you recover. As you read more on other members' recovery threads, you’ll get a better perspective of what to expect. The following are our basic guidelines and should help get you started.

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, and don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when the pain starts!)
don't overwork.

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it, and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post-op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Try out our great new opportunity to improve your gait. It's OneStep. It's free and you will find it to be a huge help to you. Click here: OneStep

Thanks for the messages. My surgery was June 24, 2022 on the left knee. I fell about a week ago getting out of a pickup and slipped on the running board and the knee completely bent. Already had a doctor appointment scheduled where they took x-rays and all was good. Doc suggested wearing a weight while at rest (watching TV, etc.). Seems to help a little, but struggling with extension. I will try more ice and elevation as well.

Getting impatient and want to get better. I didn't realize how long this was going to take!

Sorry about your fall. That is my biggest fear and why I can't quite give up my crutch even though I mainly just carry it.
What's the weight for?

Hey Peanuts, You have to take it at your own pace. Everyone’s body and surgery is different. One thing you might try to get your extension is to a small pillow under your heel while you are in bed, just letting the weight of your knee naturally try to straighten itself. if it is too extreme at the beginning, move the pillow up your calf muscle and that should do it l. As it gets straighter keep moving the pillow down toward your heel until your knee starts to naturally invert. This helped me. You can do it..Good luck

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom