Knee Replacement Nov 28

Jcraig59

Country
United States United States
Asking if anyone has tried the Gel Injections. My knee is bone on bone on the inside but I walk around just fine. It is a little tight on the bending. Just had a hip replacement in June.

Hello! I tried the Synvisc One earlier this year with no success. I am now waiting on TKR surgery. Your results may vary. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

Hello @Jcraig59 - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your hip replacement and which hip it is, so we can add that to your signature for you? Also, which knee are you having replaced? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Since you have a date for replacing your knee, the Gel injections wont be necessary.

Usually, they are used as a last resort, to try and postpone surgery for a while - I hope you're not thinking of doing that.
While the first Gel injection may be helpful, subsequent injections seem to be less and less helpful. Some insurance companies seem to require them before giving approval for a knee replacement.

Here is some reading, to help you prepare for your surgery:
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

The left hip was done June 11th, 2018. The right hip replacement was March 24th, 2010. Left knee is scheduled for Nov. 28th but I was hoping to maybe get Gel injections and prolong another surgery.

@Jcraig59 I've had 12 injections in my right knee over the last 3 yrs (every 6 months basically). None of them helped the pain. None of them helped with range of motion or swelling either. I think it's a toss-up as to who benefits and who doesn't.

I was told that even if they didn't help with pain, they would keep things lubricated and prolong a TKR. However, this didn't work for me either. Apparently it usually only works if you're not bone-on-bone already. As for my right knee, bone spurs grew considerably in the last 18 months, to where I now have these big knobs on both sides of the knee. X-rays with a new surgeon confirmed that knee is bone on bone, with the lateral (outer) side having collapsed onto the bone below (tibia).

Thankfully I only paid about $130 of each of the $800 injections, and some of them were free because I had already met my out-of-pocket max for the year with insurance. I still feel lied to though. My new surgeon (the one doing my TKR in December) said these shots are (usually!!) useless once you're bone-on-bone, so save your money. Most insurers don't even cover them now because they've been shown in studies to help <50% of the time. My previous surgeon's office even admitted my current insurance company is one of the ONLY ones that still cover them, but they likely won't after the next year or two because of the new studies showing poor results. I can see trying them 1) if you REALLY don't want the TKR yet, and 2) because you're not too symptomatic yet.

Personally, I was tired of throwing money and energy and HOPE at something that was only worsening in every way! Especially the pain!!:headbang:

Last edited:
Left knee is scheduled for Nov. 28th but I was hoping to maybe get Gel injections and prolong another surgery.
You've got a surgery date. Your surgeon must think it's time to replace that knee. Forget the injections - who knows if they will work for you or not? - and get rid of that bad knee.

I know you probably feel you've had enough surgery for one year, but you will be able to start 2019 knowing that you're not facing another surgery and your knee will be getting better, not worse.

Asking if anyone has tried the Gel Injections. My knee is bone on bone on the inside but I walk around just fine. It is a little tight on the bending. Just had a hip replacement in June.
I had the GEL injections and I'm not sure they helped that much...... Cortisone helped me, but now i'm having TKR 12/4.. Good Luck

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks