TKR Knee Replacement - no patella

RWulfeck

Country
United States United States
I was in a motorcycle accident 30+ years ago and lost my right patella. (Also broke several bones.) I've been without a patella for a long time and I've been having trouble with the knee locking up, arthritis, etc. My leg is also bowing out a bit - well more crooked than bowed (?). My surgeon wants to give me a knee replacement even though I'm a bit young for the procedure (59) but more because the disfiguring of my leg. Anyway, he said the knee replacement won't give me a new patella but replace the other two bones. Just wondering if there is anyone out there who lost their patella similarly to me (i think it is different if someone has had it removed rather than shattering it in a million pieces in an accident?) and had a knee replacement. I'm a bit hesitant to move forward with the surgery because i don't want my leg to be messed up even more. I'm very active (I'm used to the pain) - i do HIIT Fit at least 3-4 times a week - I try not to pound my knee so when they run, I usually row or bike. I'm in pretty good shape except for my knees. I'd like someone's opinion on how this is done and if it works when you don't have a patella. I don't want to be in that group of people who are screwed up for the rest of their life because of this surgery. Any input is welcome! Thanks!

Hello @RWulfeck - and :welome:. I'm glad you joined us.

Please will you tell us the full date of your accident and the surgery to remove your patella, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

First of all, you're not young for a knee replacement. Surgeons used to tell people they should wait until they were 60-ish, but nowadays a knee replacement can last for 30 years or so, and there is less risk of facing multiple revision surgeries.

We've had people here on BoneSmart who've had successful knee replacements in their 40s, 30s, and even a few in their 20s.

@sistersinhim has had the patella removed from both her knees and she has had a successful knee replacement. It certainly didn't screw up her life.
I've tagged her to come and talk to you about it.

Once you've recovered from the knee replacement, you could have significantly less pain.

Hello, @RWulfeck. It's true. Both of my kneecaps were removed, one in 91 and the other in 93. I didn't have an accident, I had birth defects. Each kneecap wore way down until they were too small and thin. Removing them was thought to be the best option. I interviewed around 6 OSs, asking if they had ever replaced a knee that had no kneecap. Some had, and some blew me off as if it's no big deal. Well, I finally found the surgeon that I trusted.

I've not been disappointed in my results. I'm not pain-free, but am a lot better. I can do things I hadn't been able to do in over 20 years. I discarded my cane of 20 years after about 4-5 months after my tkr.

Being without kneecaps, with the shortened patella tendons, leaves my knees weaker than a normal knee, but I am stronger than I was before the surgery and am so glad I had it. I think you will be, too. Don't hesitate to ask me about my experience. I'll happy to help you, if I can.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom