BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
Dismiss Notice

Shopping on Amazon Prime Day July 15-16?

Make purchases through smile.amazon and Amazon will donate a portion of your purchase amount to BoneSmart!

Sign up at Smile.amazon.com and indicate our parent organization, The Foundation for the Advancement in Research in Medicine, Inc. All of the donation funds received from Amazon purchases are transferred to BoneSmart to help keep us up and running.

Knee replacement - I have no kneecap

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by harryjjj, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neeze

neeze new member

United States United States
    I have had 6 knee surgeries. 1 on the left,1974. 5 on the right,1975-79. This ending in right patellectomy. I have severe osteoarthritis. I have seen 7 orthopedists, 3 specializing in TKR. Each one has said, replacing the right knee will have negative outcome due to not having a kneecap. I was told I would have to be seen by plastic surgeons due to my previous scars, pain mgmnt fue to the fact I've been under pain mgmt for 9 years. I have tried everything including accupuncture for relief. I was hoping to have TKR to ease my pain. The left knee I was told will have about 85% success. I refuse to give up. I recently contacted the Mayo Clinic and am anxiously awaiting their reply. This chronic pain is really wearing me out. I try to stay positive, but I am at a point where I don't know where to turn. I thought the Hosp for Spec Surgery in ZnYC was my answer, but it was there that I received the..It will have a negative outcome answer. I appreciate all imput as I know everone here has gone through similar experience. Thanking everyone for allowing me to share. Well Wishes to All.

2. harryjjj

harryjjj junior member

Re: TKR - my left leg

Neese
    As you know, they avoid patellectomies like the plague these days, probably since the 1980s. Mine happened in the early 1970s. In the 1980s I developed drop foot - also on the left. These two issues made me valgus (knock kneed). I got the TKR in Sept 2013 to help me walk better. My OS and I had no idea the valgus would return to my newly straightened leg, but it did. Now I wear a double hinged knee brace daily to keep my leg straight. I have very little pain - never did. I'm active, may have to were brace forever.

Sounds like you may be a good candidate due to your pain level. I think outcome would be better if your leg is strong.

Best wishes - Harry

3. RestAssured

RestAssured Forum Advisor

Hello!

There is a revision doctor in Plano TX that performs miracles when others say, there is no hope! He has done surgeries on people without kneecaps and is one of the top surgeons worldwide!:yes!:

His name is Dr. Gerhard Maale, and when you call tell Ami that Sonja recommended you! They will probably let you send your records and give you an opinion before you go! They know me well!:roseshwr::loveshwr:

4. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I'd like to caution against doing too much exercise, too soon after surgery. It's very important to allow time for your wounded tissues to heal before you start strengthening exercises. If you start too early, all it does is further irritate those tissues, which can lead to inflammation and a slow-down in recovery.

Finding the right physiotherapist is important, too. You need someone who is supportive, but not controlling. Someone who will listen to you and, above all, someone who will not push you beyond discomfort into pain.

• Like Like x 2
  5. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Glad you've joined us @neeze. Why don't you start your own thread so we can follow your story?

6. Jozilla

Jozilla supremo

Welcome to BS. You have certainly had your share of knee issues! If my insurance would pay no matter where I went I would choose Dr Maale as he sounds like an amazing doctor who has treated the most difficult cases! Rest Assured has an amazing thread telling of her experience. Good luck and don't give up!

7. Dutto

Dutto member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I haven't had a patella on my left knee since 1967. It was pulped in a motorcycle accident and apparently had to be removed with the surgical equivalent of a teaspoon!!

My femur was also severely damaged in the accident. The femur was protruding from my thigh, the knuckle was split into multiple sections and my left foot was resting somewhere near the back of my neck. (Yesterday, when the OS told me that TKR surgery could be painful, I suggested that I may have already had a similar experience!):martini:

Daft as it sounds, the severity of my accident had elements of "Good News"!

The knuckle at the end of my femur was in so many pieces that they were too small to be plated. This was immaterial because in those days "Traction" was the preferred method of treatment anyway; and the multiple parts could be manipulated before they started to knit back together.

As has been pointed out, without a knee-cap there is major difficulty in extending the leg until it is straight. To get over this problem the OS in charge of my case (Mr. Thompson) put a slight "kink" into the end of my femur so that as the pieces knitted back together the knuckle took on an angle similar to someone bending their wrist upwards.

He did an excellent job and for the last 47 years I have been able to straighten my leg without any problem and have lead an absolutely normal life. (I suppose that playing many hundred hours of squash and badminton probably wasn't a good idea, becoming a Mountain Guide in the Scottish Mountains for four years wasn't the smartest career move and letting my weight drift up to 120kg/264lb didn't do my knee any good either!)

However, there has always been a downside! The 10 degrees of "tilt" means that my ability to flex my knee has been restricted by a similar amount. Apart from restricting my ability to kneel, this isn't a real problem. The real problem comes with the fact that my knee can over extend by the same 10 degrees or so that forms the "kink"; and when this happens my knee locks like a briefcase hinge and cannot be bent until the pressure that "locked" the joint is released.

In normal life it hasn't been a problem but just occasionally, when it has locked, the results have been spectacular and I have had to learn how to fall full length with some grace!! I have to say that as I get older I just don't bounce as well as I used to!!

I did ask the OS back in 1976 if I could have a prosthetic patella and he responded by asking if I was planning to enter any beauty contests!!

After 47 years the joint has finally got so painful that I am planning a TKR sometime very soon and so far my OS hasn't said anything to indicate that the system chosen for my operation (a TruMatch and TKR from DuPuy) will in any way be affected by my lack of a knee-cap.

Here's hoping.:egypdance::egypdance::egypdance::egypdance:

Best regards,
    :cheers:
    Ian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.