Knee Replacement AGAIN, Really Concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsCheryl

Country
United States United States
Guess 13 years have gone by quickly since my first knee replacement (both were done). Collapsing and knee falling out of place have immobilized me for the past 4 days. Doctor appointment coming up in 3 days.

Anybody out there with similar experience that could share their experiences would be appreciated. I am a lot older than most posters here (can hardly believe that has happened also) and know a second surgery will be a big challenge. Dreading the future. Thanks for reading.

Sorry to hear that and that you must wait so long for Dr appointment. Feel free to vent here.

All of revision members have yellow banners on their avatars, so feel free to take a look at those threads. Some have had revisions soon after their first TKR, like @newlybionic .

I'm not sure of your age, but my dad had a hip replacement at the age of 84 and has done very well. He is healthy and very active, mowing the lawn, grocery shops, etc. He also has 2 TKRs.

You may want to be sure your OS has experience with revisions. Not all orthopedic surgeons have that type of experience.

I agree with KarriB, seek a second opinion from a surgeon who specializes in revisions, they are best able to determine what is going on with your knee.
Hoping this is just a false alarm. :fingersx:
I had a revision, recovery is pretty much the same as for a TKR, of course all knees are different and heal at their own pace.
Good luck, let us know how your Dr appointment goes.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I did put my age in my signature. Kept the picture from 5 years ago as my avatar. The years since have not been so kind (osteo arthritis and degenerative disk disease). Don't mean to sound negative, just giving some background. Love the positive attitudes of the posters here.

The surgeon has come highly recommended but is extremely busy. I am actually going to see the surgeon's PA. I can almost see some of you cringing. She will run the necessary tests and show them to the surgeon the same day. At least this is what I was told. This was one way to get my foot in the door 2 weeks earlier than his next opening.

I have had both knees replaced and one hip. The first replacement of this knee was a horrible experience. I apparently waited too long. Not overly optimistic about having it done 13 years later. Thanks so much for allowing me to vent.

I had to have a complete revision (all the parts replaced) 8 months after my original TKR. I found that the first week or so was hard but after that I seemed to sail through recovery by following the bonesmart philosophy. You could also read this one too - BoneSmart philosophy for post op therapy
See what the PA tells you. The PA working with my current OS is excellent so I don't mind seeing her. I suggest that you write down a list of questions and take a pen with you to write down the answers. If possible you might want to have someone with you during your appointment too.

Thanks for the information on your PA. My husband will be with me at the appointment. I always ask for permission to record the conversation on my Ipad. That helps a lot.

NewlyBionic, thank you sooooo much for the link on the post-op exercising philosophy. Josephine's information along with her credentials was so important and powerful. The very reason that first particular surgery was such a nightmare was because of the forced PT which caused me to cry out loud. My husband couldn't stand to stay in the same room. Knowledge is power. I know there is a wealth of more information yet to discover on this site. What a blessing everyone here is.

I suggest that you write down a list of questions and take a pen with you to write down the answers. If possible you might want to have someone with you during your appointment too.
I strongly agree. Write down all of your questions and write down the answers---do not afraid to ask for clarifications, too. I would also bring another person with you---objectivity is the key, and another set of ears and eyes will help out---and he or she can write down answers as well---and ask for clarifications.

You should leave the office with very few, if any, questions. (There are always a few that pop up later.)

Hello again MsCheryl. How nice to see you back though would have preferred different circumstances of course!
I am a lot older than most posters here
You're not older than me! :wink:
know a second surgery will be a big challenge
I doubt that. My guess is that one of your implants has come loose - probably the tibial one. In that case, you will just need new implants and since the major bone cutting has already been done, it shouldn't be that bad!

Here's the latest version of our recovery threads!

First is the reading - everybody gets a free copy of the recovery reading!

Here are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Activity progression for TKRs
Heel slides and how to do them
[URL='http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/bonesmart-philosophy-for-post-op-therapy.37103/']BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy[/URL]

Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Josephine, you have made my day. This information will not leave my side. This site is an answer to my prayers for guidance. Thank you so very much

I had to have a revision of my right knee replacement, eleven years after the original.
Although it was a revision from a partial to a total replacement and thus required more bone cutting, I found that my recovery was a little easier than my recovery from the first surgery.

In the years between my two operations, some things had changed. Pain control protocols were better and my new surgeon did not require intensive physiotherapy.

I know it's natural to feel apprehensive (I was!) but your knee will feel so much better once you are over the initial recovery period.
This time, you'll know more and you'll speak up to make sure your knee is not overworked.

Best wishes. I'll be looking for your posts from the recovery side.

PS: You're not older than me, either! :) :flwrysmile:

Celle, thanks so much for your input. I will know more Thursday. Guess we should be thankful our parts and pieces can be fixed. Yes, I will be better informed and aggressive if necessary.

Yes, I will be better informed and aggressive if necessary.
Being assertive (aggressive isn't necessary) is a good thing. Remember that it is your knee and you can set the limits on what will be done to it. It will be your job to speak up on behalf of your knee.

You are correct, assertive is the correct term.

Still working on trying to fix my knee without surgery. Physical therapy did nothing but inflame the knee worse. It has been almost 2 months of extreme pain and the knee feeling like it is collapsing when I try to walk.
Just saw surgeon yesterday (he is extremely hard to get in to see)and he agrees surgery is the only answer. So far he is planning a poly spacer replacement and Synovectomy. Other parts will be on hand if needed. Surgery won't be scheduled until after my primary care physician gives me clearance next week.

Forgot to ask if anyone here is aware of using a tens unit for healing after surgery. It was given to me as an option because Medicare will not pay for one.

Thank you. I have a tens unit which was purchased via Amazon. Is there any difference in tens units that I should be aware of? I know this is only information you are sharing, not medical advice and appreciate any information available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom