THR Knee Pain

Mtty87

Country
Australia Australia
Waiting for my THR or possibility of one (Dr is pushing me to conservative methods currently). My knee hurts a lot, I can straighten it at PT so I dont think its OA but Im worried I can cause OA in a short space of time. Anyone with experience in this area?

I think its my leg length as Ive heard it causes one leg to shrink slightly due to re calibration for leg pain. I feel it in my neck and back too. Lordy. I am thinking orthopaedic shoe inserts for my shorter leg my work. Lets see.

Im 35, pretty screwed up due to fear of it all. Trying to get by, best I can. Its a daily battle.

I am also unsure if Im battling Post-acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS) from Effexor withdrawal (currently 6 months off). Perfect storm of bad things.

Did anyone else feel like 'whats the point of living' and catastrophise constantly or could that be my PAWS. Praying for the latter as Im usually quite an upbeat person.

Needed to get this off my chest, would love to hear feedback.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely yes.

On the right side (bad hip) I had groin pain, knee pain inside the right knee.
Every night I had metatarsal pain in both feet. Also lumbar pain.

All of it was the hip

I had real bad back pain whenever I would walk more than a few hundred meters. That pain went away completely after first hip.

Funny thing, after my second surgery, NOW I have knee pain related to IT band as my legs are finally in the correct alignment but that means my IT band is being stretched - or more accurately, the anchor points around my knee are. So I have to ease into PT exercises for the muscle in my hip which connects to the IT band. But due to the incision I can’t go too hard obviously. Anyway, it’s a miracle we make it this far with all the compensating our bodies have to do for the messed up hips.

@Mtty87 - I know my anxiety levels early on in my recovery were through the roof and have definitely eased a bit now, mostly as a result of the support on this forum.
I still have tenderness in my upper thigh and my right knee on the operated side.
Leg length, leg position, brutality of surgery, recovering from years of limping I guess are all contributing but none of this is stopping me live s better life than I had before surgery and I feel fitter and stronger every week so I have high hopes for the future.
But even if I don’t improve from where I am, I no longer cry with pain just walking to the end of the road.
Good luck with your recovery. We are all different and so our recoveries will be different too. I think we probably need to remind ourselves to be patient and positive. I didn’t expect the mental roller coaster that’s for sure.

@Mtty87
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!

Likely your knee pain is referred from your hip. My mother had a friend with horrible knee pain, no hip pain. Turned out she had severe hip arthritis. After her THR her pain in both her hip and knee resolved.

Many members your age and younger have had THR's, returned to their active life. There have been a number of Teenage hip replacements that have posted on BoneSmart.

It is normal to be anxious about deciding to have a THR and prior to having a THR. You are also recovering from withdrawal from Effexor which probably contributes to your anxiety and fears.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics