Lounge Doctor

THR Knee pain

Vespa_mod

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I am due to have my left hip replaced on the 30th of November, been having hip pain for nearly 3 years now and have decided to go private to have the operation.
I live in the uk and the NHS waiting list is too long for me to wait as I have started to have back pain and severe knee pain.
i mentioned the knee pain to my surgeon and he said it was probably referred pain from my hip.
The pain is just below my knee cap and can cause me to limp and struggle to walk. I am getting really worried about it now and wondered if this was a common problem and if the hip replacement will ease the pain in my knee.
I should mention that I have arthritis in my hip but don’t have too much pain in the hip area now, pain mostly on the front of my thigh and knee.
Thanks for any help and I am glad I found this site as it has been a great help in getting me prepared for surgery and recovery.

subie2021

Country
United States United States
My knee pain disappeared when my new hip was installed.
Leading up to the hip replacement, I got some relief from the knee pain by using a not-very-expensive sleeve type knee brace from the drugstore. It has an opening over the patella and adjustable velcro wraps above and below.
Isn't this site just the best? So much information and support here.
Good luck with your surgery.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
We will create a signature for you reflecting your surgery date and which hip will be replaced. We’ll also add your name to the November Nimbles surgery list so you can see who will be recovering right along with you. We appreciate you sharing that you’ve found the site helpful as you prepare for surgery. Stick with us and we’ll see you through surgery and be there to offer support and encouragement as you’re healing.

As for your knees, I wouldn’t be too concerned as this may very well be related to your deteriorating hip which tends to throw our whole body out of whack. While I don’t recall my knee hurting, I do recall the pain down the front of my thigh that you‘ve mentioned especially as I got closer to my surgery date. You mentioned you‘ve been struggling for three years. One can imagine the favoring you've done in an effort to relieve pressure from your hip, or wherever you were feeling it. Try not to give your knee too much thought now and just focus on life without hip pain and a very good possibility without knee pain also.
I‘ll leave some pre-op reading for you and hope to hear from you again soon.
Have a wonderful week!

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery

@Vespa_mod

Pumpkin

Country
@Vespa_mod ,
A friend of my mother's had excruciating knee pain, turned out to be referred pain from her hip.
After her hip replacement, her knee was fine.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Eman85

supremo
Country
Referred pain is an odd thing. With my right as it got worse my right foot would hurt badly. It was like my shoe was tied too tight and hurt the top of my foot even sitting. GP told me it was arthritis in my foot. I might have arthritis in my foot, but after my right hip replacement my foot never hurt again. With both hips I would have pain down my thighs to my knees at the end of the day, that pain along with the hip joint aches are gone.

OP
OP
Vespa_mod

Vespa_mod

Country
Thanks everyone for your replies, i feel a lot better after reading them.
I have noticed that my foot wants to turn in a bit as I am walking so I think this could be the cause of my knee pain and hopefully it will straighten out after the surgery.

Eman85

supremo
Country
To prepare for your THR along with the necessities be sure to buy new shoes. If you have an odd pattern worn into your shoe soles it can effect your recovery walking.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
I have noticed that my foot wants to turn in a bit as I am walking so I think this could be the cause of my knee pain and hopefully it will straighten out after the surgery
I had the opposite of you as my hip deteriorated, external rotation, which my surgeon assured me surgery would resolve…and it did. Not immediately, but it didn’t seem like it took all that long. Good things to come, hang in there!

OP
OP
Vespa_mod

Vespa_mod

Country
Thanks for the advice Eman85 and Layla for the encouragement.
I’ll be sure to get some comfy trainers for my recovery.
Its the simple things that I miss doing, like putting my headphones in and heading out for a walk or jumping on a bike and going for a cycle with my son, but now it’s like bambi on ice just trying to get on to a bike:loll:

Last edited:

spongemum

Country
Your headphones will come in handy for wiling the long nights away in the first weeks especially if you share a bed and don't want to disturb your partner. Mind you he slept right through 3 babies 3 decades ago whom I'd feed and roll back into the crib!

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
knobbyknees
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom