TKR Knee pain

Smithers

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

I am 40 and booked in for a tkr using the mako robot in November. I had a ton plateau in 07 and osteotomy in 09. I’ve had 4 procedures in total to prevent tkr. The last op in 19 took out arthritic bone and metal work. My surgeon confirms I have bone on bone and advanced-arthritis from trauma. My knee is now deformed and patella twisted. I am getting shin, ankle and foot pain. Is this normal? Any ideas? I can just about cycle but lost my range of movement. Any advice is helpful. Thanks

:welome: to BoneSmart.

Seems to me from what you've said that TKR is your only way. And you will be able to ride your bike post TKR, hopefully. I can.

Hi and Welcome!

Yes, a TKR will help all those issues.

Please give us the date of your TKR, and we‘ll make a signature for you that will list all your surgeries. That helps us advise you better, being able to see the dates in a signature in every post.

Thanks at the minute scheduled for 9/11/21. Pain has got worst but hate taking ibuprofen

@Smithers Thanks for your surgery date. Which knee is having the op?

Have you tried icing your knee? Or some of our members use a TENS unit.

Left knee. I do ice but not the tens but thanks for the idea. Will look into this

I’m in so much pain with my lower shin and ankle. Is this normal with knee issue or something more sinister? Ibuprofen just about managed pain. Thanks

Is this normal with knee issue or something more sinister?
Since your surgeon confirmed your knee is bone on bone I am afraid this is normal. Do take the ibuprofen if it helps. Sorry you have to wait for your surgery.

Hello Smithers.

Somehow "normal" doesn't seem to fit the largeness of the condition. i just had a TKR on August 19th that was partially for a bone on bone knee but one that was badly arthritic with the knee pulling into the center into a knock kneed situation. This is on top of a THR gone bad about 6 years previous to
the knee events resulting in one original replacement surgery followed by 3 revisions in 4 to 5 years. The knee had pulled itself inward and was endangering the implanted hip. So to say your condition is "normal" or not doesn't seem to cover the difficulty. And what difference does that make?
we are all originals. It is you and I'm pretty sure a TKR with the right surgeon can help you. It did me. My leg is now straight, I just have to keep it safely in place until the repaired muscles and ligaments, et al hold it there naturally.

So good luck to you. Welcome to Bone Smart. I hope you do well.

Zinnia

Last edited:
I definitely had various leg and hip area pains before my tkr, but they went away after my tkr recovery. We tend to adjust our walking to accommodate the bad knee which throws other things off kilter.

Thanks everybody for your advice. I’m starting to get nerve twitch sensation in knee and ankle on same foot as injured knee. Is this to be expected? Back of knee feels enlarged compared to right aswell. 6 weeks until surgery. Thanks again

Hi surgery went really well. In and out with 2 days. Just icing and doing physio although not over doing it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88